• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ecu88

ecu88

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

I have seen this mention quite a few times around, I liked what I saw from Greg at DT. I think Hardy is a big x factor, most might disagree but each their own opinion. How about having Greg rotate inside and out more to give more reps to Applewhite, Keiser, and Frank-n-tank? I see the rotation growing already for Keiser and Frank-n-tank in each game. Greg is big enough to play inside as he proved in Atlanta game on the 3rd down plays. How does the Huddle feel about Hardy's inside play and would you like to see him have more DT time? I feel that he would bring good speed inside to give Charles and whoever else that plays on the outside a chance to get a sack. Plus Frank-n-tank has been really showing growth and I would like to see how much he can do after quarter of the season has come along with even more playing time. I think having numerous DL packages would maximize results by keeping OL guessing and keep DL players fresher. What is y'all opinions on Hardy time at DT and having a varied DL?

#2 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,246 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

no thanks. give the reps to effective guys like the edwardses and neblett who's a rising talent at three-tech.

#3 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 15,294 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

the only time Hardy needs to be at DT is on 3rd and long... He's not an upgrade over the Edwards brothers in run support..

#4 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,150 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

I did like what i saw from Hardy on the inside but I don't know how much time he'll get there with Neblett coming back. But he did look really good on 3rd downs from the inside.

#5 ecu88

ecu88

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

I agree but I still think he would still be effective on third down passing plays at DT. I am freaking glad that Niblett is back, he was the only other DT that I trusted in the DT depth-chart besides the two Edwards.

#6 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,511 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

Seems to me that we have to look at what packages we need to run this week based on the opponents tendencies rather than generalities. Do we need to rush the quarterback as we did against Atlanta or defend the run first and pass secondarily. Then the question is whether or not Hardy is best inside or out.
Theoretically you want to move him around for favorable matchups whether that is inside or out based on the opponent. Everything is about individual matchups and mismatches dictated by scheme and line adjustments.

#7 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,265 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

I am not even sure Nebbles will be active this game. He has not practicedd since the season started.

Moving Hardy inside with Dwan on third downs has worked so far. We have looked solid on third down rushing the passer.When we decide to apply pressure that is.

#8 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

Seems to me that we have to look at what packages we need to run this week based on the opponents tendencies rather than generalities. Do we need to rush the quarterback as we did against Atlanta or defend the run first and pass secondarily. Then the question is whether or not Hardy is best inside or out.
Theoretically you want to move him around for favorable matchups whether that is inside or out based on the opponent. Everything is about individual matchups and mismatches dictated by scheme and line adjustments.

I hear where you are coming from. It does make sense to move players around and look for mismatches. Depending on what you are trying to do defensively.

But on obvious passing downs, so far as I have seen, Dwan and Hardy inside has been pretty effective. I have even seen Fua and Hardy apply pressure.

I agree that it seems like the run D has not quite figured out what they are trying to do. No lane integrity, over running plays, bad angles, and missed tackles seem to be the issues in the run D. Until these are cleaned up, we will probably continue to struggle stopping the run.

This is the week our run D needs to show up big time. Stop Lynch and we should win. It really is that simple this week.

#9 ecu88

ecu88

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

I think that is where Carolina needs to explore more in the future. Instead of set schemes, mismatches by personal change could affect the game. This coming game will definitely be more run focused but at the same time I think trying to find DL favorable match ups will be critical.

#10 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 15,294 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

i.e., nascar package

#11 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

I think that is where Carolina needs to explore more in the future. Instead of set schemes, mismatches by personal change could affect the game. This coming game will definitely be more run focused but at the same time I think trying to find DL favorable match ups will be critical.

We do try and move people around on the D-line. You never know who is going to line up where? And I feel it is because Rivera is STILL trying to figure out who can do what? And that is starting to get me more than a little concerned.

Is Rivera not happy with what he has? Or is he just tinkering? Either way, it seems counter intuitive to me. Put players in a position to succeed, give them some confidence, then play with the alignments. I just think he is doing some weird things.

Or, it just could be I have no clue. I would hate to think I am clueless, so I am going to question Rivera. Makes me feel better, even if I am still confused.

#12 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

Person confirmed Neblett will not be active tomorrow, Panthers have until Monday to decide if they will keep him or not. Because the league gave them a week roster exemption.

#13 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,566 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

Depends on the match up, but Hardy has played much better this season.

#14 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,511 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

We do try and move people around on the D-line. You never know who is going to line up where? And I feel it is because Rivera is STILL trying to figure out who can do what? And that is starting to get me more than a little concerned.

Is Rivera not happy with what he has? Or is he just tinkering? Either way, it seems counter intuitive to me. Put players in a position to succeed, give them some confidence, then play with the alignments. I just think he is doing some weird things.

Or, it just could be I have no clue. I would hate to think I am clueless, so I am going to question Rivera. Makes me feel better, even if I am still confused.

I think that having different packages for different situations is a great idea. You need guys who can play several positions instead of just one to have flexibility when injury hit s as it always does.

#15 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

Neblett is a better run support DT than Dwan, so yeah, I can't wait to get him back in there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.