• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 amcoolio

amcoolio

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

We are trying to run a read option offense without speed at the WR position. They are counting on Steve Smith when in reality Smith can't break away from defenders anymore and should be playing the Torry Holt role. Lafell and Olsen are possession recievers that aren't deep threats. Because of this teams are having great success single covering our recievers and keeping 8 in the box, making us afraid to run and taking away the middle of the field, and causing Cam to hold the ball/make poor throws/unable to lead recievers. The book has been out on our offense and we made no attempt to solve it going into this game or at halftime. That is extremely discouraging and is why we are so frustrated with the coaching staff.

I think Chud's crazy offense could work if we had a deep threat or two. But teams know we don't have anything resembling a deep threat. I don't think we have attempted but 1 or 2 deep passes all year (where the ball travels at least 30 yards in air), whereas last year we averaged 5 a game it seemed like. Obviously I don't have exact numbers.

#2 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

if only chud and company would stop trying to run the offense like they're playing madden.

#3 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 8,391 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

Agreed.
It has been obvious for awhile, we lack the home run threat.

#4 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,742 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

You know, I was expecting an implosion but this is crazy.

#5 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,226 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

Murphy has speed but we don't use him...

#6 footballisasport

footballisasport

• HUDDLER
  • 5,204 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:13 PM

We are trying to run a read option offense without speed at the WR position. They are counting on Steve Smith when in reality Smith can't break away from defenders anymore and should be playing the Torry Holt role. Lafell and Olsen are possession recievers that aren't deep threats. Because of this teams are having great success single covering our recievers and keeping 8 in the box, making us afraid to run and taking away the middle of the field, and causing Cam to hold the ball/make poor throws/unable to lead recievers. The book has been out on our offense and we made no attempt to solve it going into this game or at halftime. That is extremely discouraging and is why we are so frustrated with the coaching staff.

I think Chud's crazy offense could work if we had a deep threat or two. But teams know we don't have anything resembling a deep threat. I don't think we have attempted but 1 or 2 deep passes all year (where the ball travels at least 30 yards in air), whereas last year we averaged 5 a game it seemed like. Obviously I don't have exact numbers.

Earlier this year when someone pointed that out, they were crucified.

Don't tell the truth about Smith. Some folks believe showing up every once and a while is the way a receiver should play. This team has played 5 games so far and Smitty hasn't really been playing his role that well but who cares, Right?

#7 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• HUDDLER
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

steve smith is still on the team?

#8 Jrock88

Jrock88

huddle vet

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

Earlier this year when someone pointed that out, they were crucified.

Don't tell the truth about Smith. Some folks believe showing up every once and a while is the way a receiver should play. This team has played 5 games so far and Smitty hasn't really been playing his role that well but who cares, Right?

ken your crooked nose looks fine... infact its an improvement

#9 HardcoreDefense

HardcoreDefense

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

Need Shockey back

#10 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014