Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

College offense is going to kill Cam's career....

64 posts in this topic

Posted

The most likely place that Cam can get hurt is sitting in the pocket. He has great awareness in the open field. The place he is vulnerable, because he is good at keeping his concentration downfield and ignoring the rush, is being blind-sided on a sack.

That doesn't mean that we should continue to do more (or even as much) Cam running. It should just remain part of the package.

Posted

To me just as big of a problem is too many deep routes and Cam not taking what's underneath. The middle is there.

True, but this is essentially the Air Coryell offense.

But your point is valid... if Olsen or any WR or RB crossing is open in the middle, damned well take it. Those routes are being run for a reason.

Posted

Pretty much. Tape is out and has been rewound millions of time on Cam and Chud's offense. It will not work. It either needs to evolve and keep people guessing, or do what everyone else does and win the old fashioned way.

Posted

Damn, you know its bad when Zod is complaining. We have literally hit rock bottom.

Posted

I think the offense needs to evolve. However I don't think that is the reason we aren't scoring well. Cam played horribly for 3 quarters. Steve Smith dropped some real momentum killing balls. Olsen wore a cloaking field for 3 quarters or he drunk the last of the Cammy Cam juice. We refuse to go to a heavy set and just run the ball on people like last year.

Posted

It seems like we ran the option mostly in the red zone last year......people weren't prepared and it worked well. Now that it's our bread and butter running play - it's not nearly as effective. Designed runs for Cam should be inside the redone only. If a pass play breaks down and he scrambles, I'm fine with that but we should definitely limit the punishment on Cam. We have a couple of 20 million dollar RBs for that.

Posted

These threads only pop up and only have credibility after a bad game like yesterday. Start this thread topic after we roll up 28 or 35 points. This gimmick offense didn't go 5-20 through 3 quarters yesterday the player did.

The player had a bad game and 5-19 stretch because this offense doesn't allow the QB to get into a rhythm. You watch football, yes? You should know thats a hallmark of the spread offense. It's been discussed ad nauseum where I live (Columbus) because the Buckeyes run the spread offense with lots of offensive zone reads just like my NFL team.

It works in college. It doesn't work in the NFL.

Posted

I've defended the read-option as a solid, viable PLAY in our playbook. I do agree we need to expand and get away from some of the tricky, long-developing gimmicks like the double screens and the fake reverses every game. A trick play every few games is fun and it WILL work if it is executed...but trying 1 or 2 each game gets you nowhere. We need to get back to some more conventional stuff alongside our shotgun package. We went more under center this past week and we had some success, but the OL still isn't run-blocking too well. That needs to improve. If we can't run, we're screwed. Not because Cam can't handle it. It's because NO QB can operate when he is the ONLY weapon being utilized. Receivers can't get open if you don't have the play-action to work with, and in order to get play-action working, you have to be able to run. We need more roll outs. We need more consistency under center with our run game/quick passing game. These are things that need to be in place for ANY QB. Cam is above average as a QB and stellar as a football player. Don't lean on that though. Utilize everything and allow him to take games over by setting him up for that. Chud just needs to get his head out of his ass.

Posted

totally agree with del on the flat being there.

also it seems like losing shockey is bigger than we think because two solid te's were a great security blanket for cam.

Posted

We need a WR, at this time point 2 WR

2 first round pick WR's

The huddle is back, yaaahhh

Posted

To me just as big of a problem is too many deep routes and Cam not taking what's underneath. The middle is there.

This!! It is this simple! Rivera said it too. Easy fix. Get ready to smash Dallas , go on a run just enough to get playoff hopes up only to crush ours souls.

Posted

We should've ran more screens IMO, We need a OC that runs a little bit of Foxball mixed with the Air Coryell passing attack. I can see the read option working on a limited basis. Mainly used once we establish the run. If we can establish the traditional ground attack, then we can suck in LBers and hit them with PA. But to use the read option to establish the run, is hurting our running game.