Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

College offense is going to kill Cam's career....

64 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Mr. Scot' timestamp='1349748450' post='1940106']
This is not Coryell. What we ran last year was Coryell with some tweaks to suit Newton's abilities.

This year's offense is different, almost exclusively a college style zone read, and it's just not working.
[/quote]

Exactly.

Why did Chud change it? Why doesn't he realize it's not working (I'm guessing it's an ego/smartest guy in the room type thing) and what will it take for him to go back to last year's offense?

Posted · Report post

It is truly mind boggling that Chud hasn't deviated at all from the read option despite how blatantly it is bogging down the offense. It is literally killing a Top 5 offense. KILLING IT. And he refuses to change or make adjustments.

I don't understand it. Cam has shown he can progress through reads, he can make all of the throws necessary to "dissect a defense with his arm" as Matthias put it, yet, Chud wants to continue to be cute. He's not allowing him to win it with his arm because he keeps using the read option as the basis for the entire offense and it accomplishes nothing.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I feel like if I were Cam, I would march right up to Rivera and Chud, and tell them to run this offense as if Derek Anderson was the starting QB. I would tell them to treat me as a QB who can't run. Let's not waste a lot of time in practice running the read option play, or designed runs, but spend most of the time working on dumping passes off and working on anticipation. Again I would tell them don't worry about my running ability, I'll run when I deem it necessary to run. I'll run when it's my absolute last option, or the few times where designed runs have a high percentage of scoring. Yet let the focus be on dictating what a defense does based on throwing the ball. (Let the defense worry about me running, not us) This is what I would do if I were Cam.

Cam is a young guy, but he is the leader on this team. So I expect him to step up in those areas. Not just say I'm going to do what the coaches ask me to do because as of right now, the coaches are in over their head. I looked at a lot of national sports shows talking on the Panthers, and they are all pretty much blaming Cam for everything. Yet we as fans of this team, know our problems are basically coaching and management. So Cam needs to talk with Chud and Rivera, and basically tell them to quit with these options and designed runs outside the goaline situations. (And we shouldn't be calling a desigined run everytime we are down near the goaline. It's time we actually use our running backs again, let them earn their paycheck.)
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Mr. Scot' timestamp='1349748450' post='1940106']
This is not Coryell. What we ran last year was Coryell with some tweaks to suit Newton's abilities.

This year's offense is different, almost exclusively a college style zone read, and it's just not working.
[/quote]

The only thing in it that is Coryell is the deep routes but that's it. No crossing under routes or any under routes to speak of. Its clear Chud has fell in love with HIS offence and its not working.

Posted · Report post

Chuds a dick. His offense was garbage in Cleveland in 2008

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Proudiddy' timestamp='1349749536' post='1940160']
It is truly mind boggling that Chud hasn't deviated at all from the read option despite how blatantly it is bogging down the offense. It is literally killing a Top 5 offense. KILLING IT. And he refuses to change or make adjustments.

I don't understand it. Cam has shown he can progress through reads, he can make all of the throws necessary to "dissect a defense with his arm" as Matthias put it, yet, Chud wants to continue to be cute. He's not allowing him to win it with his arm because he keeps using the read option as the basis for the entire offense and it accomplishes nothing.
[/quote]

I think the best chance we have to see a schematic adjustment mid-season is after the bye.

But I'm not expecting to see much of a change at all. Coaches tend to be egotistical just like players. They'll want to give time for their scheme to "gel" with the players. By the time they decide it's not working we're almost through the season. At this point the best I am hoping for is that someone in the offseason realizes that this bullshit system we're trying to run is going to ruin our franchise QB and keep our offense from being the monster it's capable of being.

Maybe we can get someone to get a billboard saying the read option isn't working or something...

Posted · Report post

I think they are allergic to running any type of slant, or in or anything short to medium across the field. If its not a screen, every single fuging pass is at least 20 yards down the fuging field. If i can see this, opposing coaches can too. Were not that hard to defend when you automatically cut 50% of the field out of the passing game.

Posted · Report post

You would think our coaches would mimic the offenses that put up 30 on us every week. Minus Sea and TB of course. Still they owned TOP

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Delhommey' timestamp='1349738663' post='1939792']
To me just as big of a problem is too many deep routes and Cam not taking what's underneath. The middle is there.
[/quote]

I do agree. Our tight end was open several times, and Cam either didn't see him, or decided to take the longer pass.

But I have to point out that there were at least 4 occassions (maybe more) when Cam did throw the short stuff and just missed. Two tipped passes, one of which was a screen that might have picked up a first down, the end play with hartsock and at least one other in which Cam just whiffed. Also, a couple were dropped by the receivers.

Also, Seattle's corner's are really really good. Somebody should have pointed out to Cam that it might not be easy to get to the receivers and look for olsen instead. If they didn't, its a coaching breakdown. If they did, then its on cam.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Khaki Lackey' timestamp='1349747519' post='1940072']

How so, exactly?
[/quote]

Rivera put in place the college option system duh. No Rivera, no college system.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='usmcpanthers' timestamp='1349793396' post='1940704']
You would think our coaches would mimic the offenses that put up 30 on us every week. Minus Sea and TB of course. Still they owned TOP
[/quote]

The three offenses that put 30 on us were led by Eli Manning, Matt Ryan, and Drew Brees. They put 30 on a lot of teams because they are three of the best in the league. Our qb isn't that good yet. He may be eventually, but not yet.

Posted · Report post

There is a reason the option has been out of the NFL forever. Even with phenomenal athlete like Cam, it has not permanent place here. Occasionally, yes. As a base, definitely not and I agree with OP, it is setting Cam back. Do they see him as that bad of a drop back passer to relegate him to this kid style offense?