Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Things every parent should teach their children

35 posts in this topic

Posted

How to change your own oil, spark plugs & wires, thermostat, air filter, tire, etc... even if you're a girl

um yeah...I have no fuging clue how to do this stuff...I'm a complete girl when it come to this..I just take it to honda when my maintenance light comes on and I let them take care of it

I agree with CatPoop up there that said that kids need to learn how to get a job..my boss was bitching about how his 16 year old kid just got his license and his insurance was OMG IT'S SOOOO EXPENSIVE!!

when I said.."he could get a job and help pay for it"..my boss said, "oh no, my kids don't work"

well then STFU and stop bitching about it....dumbass

3 people like this

Posted

The value of a dollar.

What "a hard day's work" means.

Insane how many people my age and younger bitch about how hard their job is when they spend half the day on Facebook. Amazing how many kids I saw get cars as presents and then total them within a month, or their parents paid for college and they flunked out.

I'm sick of it. Fuggin' make you brat kids work for it. "You want a Gucci purse? Better check the Job ads." And it's okay if you want to help your kid pay for college so they don't start out in life buried in debt, but I seriously throw up in my mouth when I hear a parent say "Oh, I want don't want little Pfieffer to worry about money and work a job while he's studying. I want him to focus on his education while he's in school." Fug that! I started working 60 hours a week when I was 14, and worked 2 jobs to pay for college and a car.

You're not only turning your brat into walking weaksauce, you're fuggin' up our whole nation. Americans have become a culture of entitlement. I deserve this, I deserve that, and I'm gonna do nothing but piss and moan if I don't get it. No you fuggin' don't. You don't deserve a god damned thing in this life, except maybe an occasional beating. You earn it or you get nothing.

And that lesson starts at home.

this

and whats funny is I learned this the hard way.

I was spoonfed my whole life. My parents were avid fans of debt and big time spenders because we had money. I didnt learn how to work hard and I fuged around in school.

Now my Father is basically broke due to the recession and im going back to school while working trying to finally make my own career.

I'm 31 years old. If only I worked hard at school and in life when I was younger I wouldnt be in this predicament.

If only my father saved his money and invested it.

You live and you learn but it would have been better if I learned this poo at 16 and not in my 30s.

/rant

Posted

That your duty as a human being is to enhance the lives of those around you and those you love on a daily basis.

Posted

Now i dont blame them. I must take all the blame because I'm an adult now and should have learned this stuff on my own but I know one thing,

If my kids want a car they better get a freaking job.

Posted

1) That the world doesn't own you a freaking thing! If you want something,work for it!

2) Life isn't fair! However, over a lifetime, it tends to equal things out.

3) Everyone has a life lesson to learn! Some learn it early in life, some late and then there's the majority who never do!

4) For Girls. NEVER read a Fashion or Beauty magazine!

5) Some people lead, some people follow. Neither is right, neither is wrong!

6) You are responsible for your own happiness!

7) NEVER stop learning!

8) It truly is Better to Give,than to receive!

9) Never pee in the pool!

10) Even if he tells you he loves you. NEVER text, e-mail, give him naked pictures of yourself.

11) Keep giving your heart away until you find the special someone who protects it as much as you do!

12) Love can come in many colors, many sexes, many races and many religions!

13) ALWAYS carry condoms in your purse!

14) When in doubt, remember, I love you!

1 person likes this

Posted

Agree with most of that. Except maybe for sneezing in your elbow (carry a tissue with you) and changing the oil.

I do a lot of the general maintenance on my truck. I flush the coolant system, change most of the filters, and most of the other required maintenance. But I don't change the oil. I know how to do it, but the mechanic up the street (very reliable guy) does it for only 10 bucks more than it would cost me to do it and I don't have to deal with getting rid of the used oil.

Posted

use kleenex....stop wrecking all your damn socks!

Posted

Don't choose your friends based on their level of "cool"

Think for yourself

Don't ever do anything just for the money

Basic camping/survival things (fire building, tent set-up as well as make-shift shelter building, locating water, map use, compass, etc)

Staying in the best physical shape possible from young in life until you die is important

Don't quit when it gets hard/don't start if you're going to quit

Posted

*JJDIDTIEBUCKLE (google it) - If my kid cannot identify with any of those traits by the time he/she is 18, i have failed.

*Never disrespect your elders.

*Please note that I am not asking you to do something, I am telling you to do it.

*You are judged by how you treat elders, children and your pets.

1 person likes this

Posted

Kipling said it best

If you can keep your head when all about you

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,

But make allowance for their doubting too;

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,

Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,

Or, being hated, don't give way to hating,

And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;

If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;

If you can meet with triumph and disaster

And treat those two imposters just the same;

If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken

Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,

Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,

And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings

And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,

And lose, and start again at your beginnings

And never breath a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew

To serve your turn long after they are gone,

And so hold on when there is nothing in you

Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on";

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,

Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch;

If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;

If all men count with you, but none too much;

If you can fill the unforgiving minute

With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -

Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,

And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son!

Posted

don't be a douchebag hipster

1 person likes this

Posted

Things every parent should teach their children:

1- teach them that God loves them no matter what. Teach your sons to be strong in The Lord, and to respect women. Teach daughters to respect themselves and their bodies

2- teach them right from wrong (reward them for doing right, and punish them for doing wrong)

3- teach them that they are safe at home by providing an environment conducive to raising a family. Let them know you love them every chance you get, because you never know what can happen

4- teach them manners and how to be polite... Yes sir, or no ma'am

5- teach them to always ask questions about life from their elders... And to ALWAYS respect their elders... Old people have a lot of knowledge and life experience to share.

6- teach them that going outside and playing with a few sticks and rocks is all they really need sometimes. (We are guilty of trying to overcompensate many things by buying them what they want) and sooner or later u have a spoiled lil brat on your hands

7- teach them that an honest days work, is worth more than anything dishonest that they can do

8- teach them to never quit, and to be trustworthy

9- teach them that their word is important, honesty matters... But also to not really believe anything that some people say and it's proven otherwise

10- teach them common sense (if u have any)

11- just teach them the core values that any child should know... Shower them with love and discipline, and push them to achieve their dreams.

12- teach them that an education, is one of the most important things in life.

13- arm them with all the necessary tools to be successful in life.

14- that if you fail, it's okay... As long as you get up and try again until u succeed.

15--- I could go on and on forever....

I have a 20 month old little boy, and I will teach him this and so so much more. I can't wait... Im sure I will make mistakes along the way, but my wife and I will raise a man with principle. One day I will look at him and be proud of the man I have raised... And that day will undoubtedly be the single best day of my entire life!!!