Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

panther4life

Of all the mistakes Hurney has made Rivera is the worst.

48 posts in this topic

Are we really using the young team card still? When the Packers won the Super Bowl a couple years ago they were the second youngest team in the NFL. We really are not that young any more. We have a lot of veterans on this team. We have a young QB but so does several other teams who are winning games. I dont understand the mentality of this team. We have to learn how to win? Wtf does that even mean? This is football and you guys are in the NFL. Shouldnt you already know how to win? You line up and beat the guy in front of you, its that simple. I put all of that on coaching. A team takes on the personality of its coach.

Rivera was a bad decision on Hurneys part but the total lack of attention from FA was the killer. Name one FA we still have from the Fox era?

:lol:

so obviously not. This a forum, fighting on here is stupid, so why attack me? I am obivously not going to quit posting on your behalf.

so obviously not. This a forum, fighting on here is stupid, so why attack me? I am obivously not going to quit posting on your behalf.

He's our resident tough guy for the moment.

agreed. just remember all new coaches means new schemes, new playbooks. Usually takes a year or half a season to get down properly.

Seen Harbaugh and the 49ers?

As much as Rivera frustrates me, I don't want to turn into one of those teams that switches up the playbook every year either. It's easy to want to clean house when things aren't going well, but historically teams that lack patience don't win often either. I have no problem giving Rivera time to win because this team is young and has time to go through some growing pains. Well, with the exception of Smitty who I certainly feel sorry for.

Seen Harbaugh and the 49ers?

Yeah, but I don't think this is a fair comparison, as the 9ers already had a very solid D and they kept the same scheme from the previous regime. I know Harbaugh is a different caliber of coach in comparison to Rivera, but you have to remember that JH had coaching experience on different levels (not to mention coming from a family tree of coaches e.g. father and brother) and he couldn't have walked into a more ideal situtation than with SF, as all the 9ers need was re-tooliing and a new direction. The Panthers are trying to build a consistent winner (after years of mediocre drafting) AND trying to assimilate a new direction/philosophy. We need to give RR more time.

I'm 50/50 on Hurney. I think he shoulders more of the blame than he should, but it's hard to ignore that last few years of drafting subpar talent and trading valuable picks for players that would be on other teams' practice squad or turned out to be complete busts e.g. Duke Robinson, Everette Brown and Jeff Otah.

I really hope Rivera is our coach to stick around, but its hard when you see guys like Harbaugh, Schiano and even Mularkey who are doing better off than us considering the circumstances.

Sad thing is I suspect Richardson put him on a budget when searching for a coach because of the guys we interviewed were never gonna demand much money. Richardson needs to quit fuging around and spend on the best head coach he can find, regardless of the cost.

Jerry isn't cheap. Why do people think this?

I don't think hiring Rivera comes even close to the trade up for Armanti, or even the trade up for Everette. A mistake no doubt, but not one that should have been so obviously wrong at the time as those two draft day trades. I'd also argue the handling if the peppers situation was worse. Should have traded him while he was on the franchise tag.

well i know u guys hate stoic rivera but im not in the business of getting coaches fired after only a year and a half.

Hurney has had his chance and failed.

Rivera is still up for debate. it hasnt even been 2 full seasons yet ffs.

Put it to you this way. If we keep lossing and we have 3-13 or 2-14 season. Then this season may be Rivera last. George Seifert was fired in his second season after going 1-15 with the Panthers. So don't think it couldn't happen with Rivera as well.