• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

I was drinking and can't recall when it happened, but the play where Stew fumbled near the sidelines after getting a first down, but was then recovered behind the first down marker so it was called as a 3rd down and we punted. My question is could Rivera have challenged that Stewart was actually out of bounds when he recovered the ball, so it should have been ruled down at the spot of the fumble so it would have been a first? Does anybody know the rule on this?

My bad if this has already been discussed/mentioned in some other thread.

#2 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

ayy lmao

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,130 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

wouldn't he have been flagged for illegal touching though?

edit: nm they couldn't flag a play after replay review. what the fug was i thinking

you know that's an interesting possibility

#3 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

ya, london...that's what I was thinking too, that it should have been illegal touching...settle down Grits...not that kind of illegal touching. Was clearly out of bounds and then came back in and was the first on the ball.

#4 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,310 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

I was drinking and can't recall when it happened, but the play where Stew fumbled near the sidelines after getting a first down, but was then recovered behind the first down marker so it was called as a 3rd down and we punted. My question is could Rivera have challenged that Stewart was actually out of bounds when he recovered the ball, so it should have been ruled down at the spot of the fumble so it would have been a first? Does anybody know the rule on this?

My bad if this has already been discussed/mentioned in some other thread.

would have been a penalty on Stewart which would have pushed us backwards.

#5 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

Oh ok I thought I read somewhere that on a fumble the illegal touching didn't apply. So even if Stew would have just swatted it OOB he coulda got the illegal touching flag anyway?

#6 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

would have been a penalty on Stewart which would have pushed us backwards.

But if they didn't call the penalty initially aren't they not allowed to assess a penalty because of review?

#7 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,165 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

I suspect Rivera didn't want to challenge because the replay would have revealed that Stewart didn't re-establish himself in bounds before recovering the fumble...

#8 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,310 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

But if they didn't call the penalty initially aren't they not allowed to assess a penalty because of review?

They overturned a NE touchdown bc of an illegal touch during a standard scoring review this year.

#9 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

ayy lmao

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,130 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

They overturned a NE touchdown bc of an illegal touch during a standard scoring review this year.

what would happen in this case though since it wasn't a scoring play? i don't know if it'd be ball placed at the spot of the touch in light of the illegal touch seen in the replay or ball placed at the spot of the fumble because there wasn't a "clear recovery" in the sense of an eligible player recovering the ball when the play was whistled dead on the field.

#10 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

that's what I was wondering when I first saw it too...if the illegal touching was called...would they overturn the recovery and give the ball at that spot to the Hawks or just add on the penalty. Not sure if I remember that happening before...but then...my memory card is full and slow

#11 Hawkfanadam

Hawkfanadam

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

I suspect Rivera didn't want to challenge because the replay would have revealed that Stewart didn't re-establish himself in bounds before recovering the fumble...

mmmm..... doubtful... I don't believe Rivera would be smart enough to think that way. He was probably texting at the time.

#12 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:00 PM

what would happen in this case though since it wasn't a scoring play? i don't know if it'd be ball placed at the spot of the touch in light of the illegal touch seen in the replay or ball placed at the spot of the fumble because there wasn't a "clear recovery" in the sense of an eligible player recovering the ball when the play was whistled dead on the field.

This scenario is exactly what intrigued me regarding this play. There are so many odd rules in the NFL I like to discuss ones I don't know or understand so that I feel like I have a better grasp/knowledge of the game. And the threads here have all been kill the FO threads so I thought if someone could provide some intelligent insight that'd be pretty cool.

#13 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,567 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:02 PM

I've never seen a team fumble so much while getting a first down then recovering it behind the first down marker

#14 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,460 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

I've never seen a team fumble so much while getting a first down then recovering it behind the first down marker

I would have to say we're cursed.

#15 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,756 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

Doesn't matter anymore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users