Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It needs to be asked

141 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I don't think Cam needs pushing, definitely not at the cost of wasting a top 5 pick. Cam is plenty self motivated...
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

4 drafted qbs in less that 10 years...smh

Posted · Report post

squirrel just wants a WVU player here.

that's all this amounts to.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

No just bringing up the fact Cam contract is up after 4 years. Teams option for the 5th. Be kind of stupid to pass on Geno if the chance for Cam to regress or if he might leave.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Inimicus' timestamp='1349956309' post='1943422']
No.

You find someone n the top 10 that needs/wants a QB and you turn the number one pick into 3 or 4 other picks in this draft.
[/quote]

as an armchair GM, i wouldn't need so many picks since i wouldn't rely on the draft so much to build/fix my team.

oustide of the first round, the draft is usually nothing more than a crap shoot.

Posted · Report post

Jerry Richardson said that Cam Newton is the last QB that he will draft.

Posted · Report post

Opinion changes.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='nosuchthingasapanther' timestamp='1349956746' post='1943430']
as an armchair GM, i wouldn't need so many picks since i wouldn't rely on the draft so much to build/fix my team.

oustide of the first round, the draft is usually nothing more than a crap shoot.
[/quote]

we could end up with like three first round non-"crap shoot" picks spread over two drafts if we get something like the rams' haul for robert griffin.

really if we need to "push cam" it'd be smarter to just bring in a veteran and declare an open competition or the like instead of bringing in another rookie. how stupid would it be to draft a guy at the top of the draft only for him to possibly spend his panthers career as a backup if he sucessfully "pushes cam" and we don't need him?

Posted · Report post

it would be dumb to go and draft another QB next year because you are afraid that cam is gonna suck maybe in a couple years.

what if geno has problems adjusting? what if he has issues that slow down his progress? do we go out and draft another QB in a year or two?

there is no more guarantee that geno will succeed than cam...probably less.

you don't go drafting QBs at the first sign of trouble. that would be monumentally dumb.

cam isn't clausen.

i can promise you that you wouldn't have made this thread if you weren't such a WVU homer.

Posted · Report post

any kind of contingency plan that results in the first overall pick being anything other than a sure fire day one starter is ludicrous should we wind up with it
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='london67' timestamp='1349956915' post='1943433']
we could end up with like three first round non-"crap shoot" picks spread over two drafts if we get something like the rams' haul for robert griffin.

[b][i]really if we need to "push cam" it'd be smarter to just bring in a veteran and declare an open competition or the like instead of bringing in another rookie. how stupid would it be to draft a guy at the top of the draft only for him to possibly spend his panthers career as a backup if he sucessfully "pushes cam" and we don't need him?[/i][/b]
[/quote]

bringing in a vet to push a rookie rarely works, and the panthers do need another qb.

the panthers are bad now...but God help this team if anderson or clausen have to take over the reins.

Posted · Report post

I'd also like to say Geno Smith is overrated playing an incredibly weak schedule, in a conference that plays no defense.