45 replies to this topic

#41 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon
HUDDLER

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

I'm guessing if he does have issues reading a defense pre-snap, this zone read offense Chud is trying isn't the best thing given all the pre-snap reads in a offense unproven in the NFL.

If he is having trouble, actually coaching a player to run a pro style offense is a heck of a thought. Take the lump and bruises. He'll be better for it or we will be looking for a new QB down the road.

Would be better than watching this shitty scheme on Sundays.

The zone read offense does NOT have a bunch of pre-snap reads. The QB only keys on the DE. If he crashes down, the QB keeps the ball. If he doesn't, he hands it off up the middle. It is actually a very simple offense from a reading defenses perspective.

#42 Wyank

Wyank

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

The zone read offense does NOT have a bunch of pre-snap reads. The QB only keys on the DE. If he crashes down, the QB keeps the ball. If he doesn't, he hands it off up the middle. It is actually a very simple offense from a reading defenses perspective.

Whoops. Good call.

Scheme still sucks.

#43 bigdog10

bigdog10

HUDDLER

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

I mean correct me if Im wrong but it seemed to me last year we ran a pro style offense with a couple of sprinkles of the option and whatnot. We were ranked top 10 in offense.

I guess we got too cute and the saying If it aint broke don't fix it applies to this offense this season.

This is what I can't understand either.

I went back and rewatched some of the games from last year, and Cam did well throwing from under center. You can tell he is more comfortable from the gun, but his throws, rollouts, and handoffs all looked clean and comfortable.

I don't understand where that offense went.

#44 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

SUPPORTER

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

Last year's offense required him to read defenses. So, did Cam get dumber this year?

just because he was under center and making plays doesn't mean he was effective at reading defenses.

he could have been given a simple 1 or 2 read and run if they're not open option.

and playing under center in the red zone doesn't really count either since the defense is limited in what it can do.

#45 PantherFanOne

PantherFanOne

• LocationRock Hill S.C.
HUDDLER

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

the rest...

Notice that the overall rankings skipped from 10th to 12th. Also note that they didn't have the New York Jets ranked.

#46 Navy_football

Navy_football

• PipPipPipPip
  • LocationArlington, VA
HUDDLER

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

just because he was under center and making plays doesn't mean he was effective at reading defenses.

he could have been given a simple 1 or 2 read and run if they're not open option.

and playing under center in the red zone doesn't really count either since the defense is limited in what it can do.

True it's possible that he could have been given 1 or 2 reads per play under center, but that wasn't the case - you can watch his youtube highlights if you don't have game film. That's what I had to do.

And even if that were true, our RBs are in better position to be effective and comfortable receiving quicker handoffs from the QB. Defenses would be forced to account for Williams and Stewart again. So, an offensive scheme switch isn't just about Cam. It would help put our other backs in position to make plays.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users