• 34,779 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

Only one, though. Your choices are...

- Head Coach Ron Rivera
- General Manager Marty Hurney
- Director of College Scouting Don Gregory

Who stays? Who goes? And why?

As a follow up, who has the greater chance of actually being fired in the real world?

And no, firing Jerry Richardson is not an option. I am, however, open to alternate suggestions like Chudzinski, McDermott, etc.

#2 Panther17

Panther17

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:51 AM

Hurney. New GM can than fire Rivera if he so pleases.

#3 PantherBlue

PantherBlue

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:52 AM

Marty Hurney gets the boot for me. He is the reason we have made so many bad draft picks and trades over the last several years.

#4 beach

beach

|-~~-~-~|

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,068 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

You should make this a poll

#5 Nicks To The Colts

Nicks To The Colts

►►►►►

• HUDDLER
  • 8,901 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

fire hurney and the new GM would likely gut the staff. so he's the guy.

#6 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• HUDDLER
  • 4,904 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

rivera.

despite the questionable crop of players, the team still has the talent and ability to be competitive. rivera has failed to make to make it happen.

#7 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 6,398 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

I would have replaced Hurney 5 years ago.

No coach could sustain any success with an endless stream of roster building blunders.

We've seen 6 + years of failures by the GM, he's not going to change. At least there is some hope that Rivera can learn to manage a game.

#8 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • 29,582 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

not convinced at all that hurney should continue in his job. i fear what could follow in his footsteps, but with the right or at least a better GM, things should improve all across the board.

for coaching staff, i want to see the rest of the season to see what they do to turn things around...if anything.

whichever coordinator doesn't help get things right should be fired before rivera. murphy would be on top of my list to get the axe. probably mcdermott as well. the D has been playing too soft and loose. i'm less than thrilled with chud's ability to game plan and adjust.

it's just too early to make a call for me. i'm not happy with the hole they've dug. i expect mistakes and failures to happen. what is going to be the deal maker for me is how they respond to this failure of a season so far. if they fail to respond in a positive way, they get the axe at the end of the season.

#9 YoungPanthers89

YoungPanthers89

Lucy Snorebush

• HUDDLER
  • 10,497 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

Hurney

#10 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

Rivera. The team has enough talent to compete, they just don't. Hurney's not drawing up the game plan, he's not making halftime adjustments, and he's not motivating the squad to play at their peak level. Rivera could also tell Chud to call more running plays, or get Olsen more involved, etc...

#11 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • 29,582 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

I would have replaced Hurney 5 years ago.

No coach could sustain any success with an endless stream of roster building blunders.

at the very least he should have been prevented from mortgaging the team's future by trading away first round picks.

they always do better in the first round than any other. not sure why they would want to take that away.

if hurney is fired....i most definitely don't want anyone mentored by beathard. please, no one that approaches the draft from a gamblers PoV.

#12 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 15,676 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

I'd rather play marry, boff, kill with the three of them.

Marry Marty
Kill Don Gregory
Boff Ron Rivera

#13 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

Your choices are...

- Head Coach Ron Rivera
- General Manager Marty Hurney
- Director of College Scouting Don Gregory

Who stays? Who goes? And why?

And no, firing Jerry Richardson is not an option. I am, however, open to alternate suggestions like Chudzinski, McDermott, etc.

(Since firing Jerry Richardson is not an option I have predicate these responses on the assumption that he's not a significant part of the problem)

Ron Rivera has frustrated me to no end through 5 games this year but last year he seemed like he had this program headed the right direction. I don't believe Rivera will last but he's not number one on my hit list. With a different GM in charge he'll likely be gone anyway - I will use this to cheat the you can only fire one rule!

I can't fire Don Gregory because I don't have enough information to do so - I don't know what sort of info is being given out by the scouting department before we decide who to draft.

Number one on my list is Marty Hurney. He's been here since 2002 and since then we have lived in sub-mediocrity more than we have been successful. Since that time we have been slow to adapt to the changing meta-game of the NFL as it evolves to the passing league it is now. We've consistently fieldedonly one really good receiver, neglected our secondary, loaded up at positions that are less and less important as the NFL changes (LB / RB), and mortgaged future draft picks for the hopeful home run right now despite draft picks being exponentially better the more of them you have. Most aggravatingly we've failed to hit in later rounds more often than I think we should. A GM "wins" in the draft by nailing picks where you shouldn't be finding a lot of talent, not by picking a good player in the first round. You can't live by the "draft your team" philosophy by trading away picks and missing on the ones you keep.

He may have some value to the organization but another mind needs to be in the GM seat. To me that's the most immediate need this franchise has.

#14 FutureDynasty

FutureDynasty

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

easy decision... hurney. kill the snake by chopping off it's head. i haven't really thought this before this offseason and now season, but now it's just time. hurney gets to retire a rich old man and we get a new GM. it's a win-win for everyone involved, including us the fans.

#15 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

Well here's the deal. I personally think firing Hurney will not do as much immediate good as firing Rivera would. I want us to turn this around as quick as possible. Rivera is proving week in and week out he is not capable of properly utilizing our highest paid players. The amount of guranteed money Hurney has dished out can't be undone at this point. Those players have talent and the right coach would be wise to get the most out of what he was to work with.

If you fire Hurney we are still in cap hell. No new GM is going to have much cap space to work with and will have to do a full blown rebuild and that could take some time because of the money already committed.

Don Gregory imo would have the least amount of impact. Sure he makes his suggestions and all but both the GM/Head coach have to be or should be fully on board/ in agreement of each pick.

Now if you gave me the option to fire all 3 then I would select that. But I take your post as meaning that the other will stick around through the duration of their contract or at least a couple more years.

There is just no scneario where I see us firing Hurney and the new GM wanting to keep Rivera.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.