Photo
- - - - -

Who's defensive model should we follow,if we get a new regime?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#11 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

It's just amazing to me how two guys, Mcdermett and Rivera, can come from the backgrounds they do (Jim Johnson, Buddy Ryan) and have the defense they have. I understand a lot of it has to go on the players but these were guys who were taught about sound and aggressive defenses by some of the best to ever live and you haven't seen any of that the past two years with ours.

So maybe that says something about talent (see GM)

#12 KillerKat

KillerKat

To Hell With Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

If we get away from that stupid ass zone defense and stop calling plays that create mismatches not in our favor for no apparent reason, our hybrid defensive model would be fine.

#13 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• LocationSpartanburg, SC
HUDDLER

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

IF, you can get consistent pressure with 4, you can be successful. You can do a whole lot more in the back end if you can controll the LOS and be disruptive.That is not saying that you still don't need good players in the back 7. But if you can get quality starters, and solid S play, you can play strong and aggressive D.

All that is great, but it is difficult to find the right players. You need experience in the system, you need to be smart, and you need to play disciplined. Those are not traits every player possess. Try and remember when Buddy or Jimmy struggled. It was either injury to your rushers, or too many new players.

We are in our second year in this system. We are improving, albeit not as quickly as some would hope. We are learning and are close. We are just not quite there yet. And IMO, we are only a GREAT FS from being a really good defense.

#14 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• Locationtied to your basement wall
HUDDLER

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:14 PM

I'd love Wade Phillips or Rob Ryan

#15 P-paw

P-paw

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

When it comes down to it...3-4 puts more speed on the field. I love 4-3, but maybe it's starting to become old fashion..compared to the rest of the speed there is these days in the NFL.

#16 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

Sell it, Jerry

HUDDLER

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

Our D-line is average. Problem found.

#17 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

HUDDLER

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

Our D-line is average. Problem found.

Detroit dline has Suh, Avril, Bosch and Corey Williams. And that defense is absolutely terrible.

#18 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

jim johnson 4-3

that's what we're supposed to be running but we aren't. what we've got is too soft and that ain't the jim johnson defense.

if they could shore up the Dline better and bring in some talent at safety i think we'd be good for it but the biggest thing would be just applying it. they've been playing it too safely.

mcdermott is the biggest problem and rivera just needs to take it over completely.

mcd is just too undisciplined and unfocused and too worried about making mistakes.

#19 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

HUDDLER

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

Well, it depends. I don't think you can be one or the other. You have to be able to run both. 4-3 is better against the run, 3-4 is better against the pass. Variations of both can give you 5 man fronts if need be, so they're versatile. It really comes down to implementation, game-planning through the week, and execution, no matter what you run. I think we just really need better secondary play and better tackling. We're really NOT bad against the run. Every team is going to break 1 or 2 15+ yard runs per game. That's just the nature of the game. You have to accept that. As long as we tackle, we're holding guys to 2-3 yards per carry. Anything over that is because we're just NOT tackling (90% of the time, anyway). If we had better, more consistent pass defense, we'd look a LOT better.

#20 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• LocationSC
SUPPORTER

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:34 PM

I'm perfectly fine with the current Jim Johnson scheme if it can be properly executed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users