• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#76 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,417 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

Yep. Seattle got Smith to take himself out of plays.....fans somehow rejoice in that. They focus in Smitty "owning" a CB while ignoring the big picture of how that actually hurts our O.

Games like Seattle show that Smith after all the years....still has a lot to learn.

the thing is...he won't. he's 33 right now and it's now a matter of you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

you just have to work around it and accept that those things are going to happen. fortunately he still has the talent to make things happen in a big way that make his "issues" worth putting up with.

he's still a game changer in the biggest of ways and probably one of the toughest guys to ever play the game. as much as he fights CBs a lot bigger than him, he takes some of the hardest licks i've ever seen anyone take and he just jumps right back up unphased and that has always impressed me.

he's a warrior...good or bad, that's just him.

i just hope he can reign it in a bit on the pissing matches with DBs and can concentrate more on grabbing the ball and hanging on to it better the rest of the season.

#77 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

His outbursts and CB wrestling matches will probably get a lot less frequent when our offense clicks. And by clicks I mean "does something that works regularly". But still....clicks.

He'll still have to own up to his drops, which are more frequent than I'm happy with because of how terrible our offense is right now, but he's always been the type that's a pain in the ass if things aren't going well.

#78 YoungPanthers89

YoungPanthers89

Lucy Snorebush

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,996 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

I am. Smith is one of our biggest problems right now, Cam would be better without him.

Oh yeah it would be a joy having Lafell being the #1 guy

#79 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

• HUDDLER
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

I'm convinced Smith is more concerned right now about fighting his defender than he is trying to get open and he's obviously gotten in Cam's head which is scary. Dude was great and is an absolute warrior but I'm getting tired of his act.

#80 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

After he punched Lucas, Smith himself acknowledged his team flat out told him his attitude had been a long standing issue where guys had to walk in egg shells with him.

Smith is highly talented and plays hard....he has always been given a long leash with his bs. And his over aggressive hot head play often hurts the team.....see the Seattle game. Heck, even look at our last winning season (2008).....everyone remembers Kasay missing a long K against NY at the end of regulation, the miss that forced us to lose in OT......it was Smiths's little extra on a block that pushes Kasay back in the wind.

Smith is the best on field talent in franchise history......he also is the biggest hot head and problem child.

so that punch left WR's open because Lucas was such a great CB and if memory serves me, we struggled while Smith was out. I'm not saying Smith doesn't have anger issues but he plys angry. It's not a switch, it's him.

#81 Jangler

Jangler

a head full of candy corn

• HUDDLER
  • 47,560 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

how many dbs has he wrestled with this year? 3 in 5 games?

No problems. This team needs every advantage they can get, and if the dbs are pissed... all the better.

#82 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,380 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

No problems. This team needs every advantage they can get, and if the dbs are pissed... all the better.

That isn't putting the opponent at a disadvantage.....it puts Carolina in one.

#83 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

It's been a while since Smitty was talking Deangelo Hall into melting down and gifting us games.

This year it seems like he's doing more fighting than talking and that doesn't do us any good.

#84 Jangler

Jangler

a head full of candy corn

• HUDDLER
  • 47,560 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

so it's Smittys fault the team is losing?

lol

#85 usmcpanthers

usmcpanthers

Professional Lurker

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,702 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

Smitty is Smitty Ill never get tired of him, my fav player ever. No one should be surprised anymore with how he is. He will always fight, always be double covered and will win more games then he loses for us. I never want Smitty to change or lose his edge, its what makes him great.

#86 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,417 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

lol

he's not helping get wins. his head isn't completely in it. just one part of what's gone wrong.

#87 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,380 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

lol

NYG, Atl, Sea.....he had his moments where he helped us lose.

#88 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

When has Smitty attitude ever been detrimental to the team. The man has played his but off every year, lead the team every year other than the broken leg year, and you morons are saying that replacing him will be better for the team. You think that we suck now, where the heck would we be if we didn't have Smitty. You've seen our attempt at replacing Moose, you really think that we can replace 89? There isn't a defense that we play that doesn't gameplan to contain 89...

Plenty of teams do fine without Steve Smith on their team. It isn't like the day he leaves, we won't have a chance of winning. From his play so far this year, it is definitively a position we need to upgrade. There are dozens of WR's out there who could produce his production as Cam Newtons number 1 receiver without the drama.

#89 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

so that punch left WR's open because Lucas was such a great CB and if memory serves me, we struggled while Smith was out. I'm not saying Smith doesn't have anger issues but he plys angry. It's not a switch, it's him.

Nope, we went 2-0 without him. Delhomme spread the ball around, and Rosario became huge. Then Smith came back getting 10+ targets a game.

#90 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

Plenty of teams do fine without Steve Smith on their team. It isn't like the day he leaves, we won't have a chance of winning. From his play so far this year, it is definitively a position we need to upgrade. There are dozens of WR's out there who could produce his production as Cam Newtons number 1 receiver without the drama.

You ppl kill me with this BS. Smith has anger issues no doubt but I'm good wit that cause he takes it out on opposing DB's. Smith is one of the best WR in the league and yall want to point to him as our problem, get real. Our problem is us getting out coached, again this year. A 2nd is poor execution. A 3rd is poor defensive coaching & execution. A 4th is poor tackling. A 5th is...aww hell thts enough, but none of these is because of our best WR in Franchise History. Fans my a#@

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com