Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blue Line Extension to Receive Full Funding On October 16th

33 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Announcement to be made on the 16th at the 9th street station.

Construction will start next year.

Posted · Report post

out to university?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Jase' timestamp='1350050955' post='1944620']
out to university?
[/quote]
Yes. Construction will finish in 2017.

I wish they were opening it in pieces instead of waiting until the entire thing is completed. At the very least, I thought they should open the line to NoDa once that section is completed. It will delay development along the line.

Posted · Report post

Silver line or gtfo.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='natty' timestamp='1350053500' post='1944640']
Silver line or gtfo.
[/quote]

I agree. What a waste of money connecting a train to the university....great college students who couldnt get into UNC or State can now come into the city and drink....hooza

Posted · Report post

Is that the one that was supposed to go down 74? If so, that would be a waste of a line.

The purpose of a rail line is to be something to be developed around and create communities that are less auto-dependent.

Putting a train down the middle of 74 does not do that. It would essentially serve only the suburban riders that don't want to pay to park downtown. The train systems are designed to serve those people as well, but they're also supposed to slow sprawl and limit future traffic growth. The silver line would not do that. the 74 corridor is a lost cause, especially with them turning even more of it into expressway.

Rail funding is based on population density and the population density along 74 would not qualify to receive funding.

I'd eventually love to see a light rail line out to the airport, one down Monroe Road to downtown Matthews, and an extension of the Blue Line to the Ballantyne area. A spur to SouthPark would be nice too, but the land to SouthPark is already very well developed, so the cost of buying/demo'ing that property for rail would be way too high.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Panthro' timestamp='1350053761' post='1944648']
I agree. What a waste of money connecting a train to the university....great college students who couldnt get into UNC or State can now come into the city and drink....hooza
[/quote]
The population density along the Blue Line extension is very high and has areas that are prime for development. The NoDa area, which is already very popular, is going to explode after the LRL is completed.

The area up around Ikea/Walmart has hundreds of acres that are designed to be high density housing and retail once the line is completed.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Tensor' timestamp='1350054010' post='1944653']

The purpose of a rail line is to be something to be developed around and create communities that are less auto-dependent.

[/quote]

Not really. South End wasn't already developed?

74 is in desperate need of relief.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Tensor' timestamp='1350054010' post='1944653']
Is that the one that was supposed to go down 74? If so, that would be a waste of a line.

Putting a train down the middle of 74 does not do that. It would essentially serve only the suburban riders that don't want to pay to park downtown. The train systems are designed to serve those people as well, but they're also supposed to slow sprawl and limit future traffic growth. The silver line would not do that. the 74 corridor is a lost cause, especially with them turning even more of it into expressway.

Rail funding is based on population density and the population density along 74 would not qualify to receive funding.

I'd eventually love to see a light rail line out to the airport, one down Monroe Road to downtown Matthews, and an extension of the Blue Line to the Ballantyne area. A spur to SouthPark would be nice too, but the land to SouthPark is already very well developed, so the cost of buying/demo'ing that property for rail would be way too high.
[/quote]

You're thinking correctly.

I definitely think a south side east-west line would work well and you can bring the current line further down maybe even to the Baxter area or wherever. Connect downtown essentially to the airport and the largest suburbs (the ones causing a lot of major traffic problems). Down the road, eventually do Lake Norman veering off NW near the 77/85 junction from the new proposed northbound line.

But what other people do want is areas gentrified and its obvious the Plaza-Midwood NoDa, and Chantilly, etc. are going in the right direction for being close to downtown. Maybe a rail line down 74 could help out the Eastland Mall area way in the future. Central has taken a 180 in recent years further out than I thought would occur.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='natty' timestamp='1350054662' post='1944660']
Not really. South End wasn't already developed?

74 is in desperate need of relief.
[/quote]
74 is a lost cause. The city admitted that when they decided to turn more of it into an expressway. Monroe Road would be a better option for an eastern line with an area that could be a destination at the end of the line (downtown Matthews). A line on 74 offers no destination areas.

South End wasn't already developed. A few blocks were, but overall, no.

There are thousands of apartment units under construction in South End right now on land that was previously undeveloped. Thousands more have been completed since the Blue Line was announced. That corridor has changed a lot in the last 5 years and will change a lot more in the next two as many of the projects under construction come online.

There are a couple thousand more proposed that have not been publicly announced just yet. Across from the Lowes in South End, there is a plan for a Publix with 700ish apartment units on 8 acres that has not yet formally been announced. That alone represents another 14-1600 people in South End. Combined, all of the new apartment's coming online in South End will add 6-12,000 people to the area, which means it'd have more residents than Uptown.

Posted · Report post

Monroe Rd is fine. It doesn't have to be on 74, just in a position to relief 74 going to Matthews.

Yes South End is getting more development, but to say it wasn't developed before is silly.

Posted · Report post

We must have very different definitions of developed, or you are limiting what you consider SouthEnd to only a few blocks. It had some development, but it was not developed. It will still not be what I consider developed even after the current proposals are completed. There is still a lot of empty land or unused land in SouthEnd.

Posted · Report post

A monroe road line would be awesome.

<<Can walk to monroe rd/downtown matthews from my house

Posted · Report post

Mass transportation is for transportation, not urban development, although it's a nice side effect. The extension of the blue line makes sense but I want the silver line - 1. it'd be very effective 2. it'd directly benefit me and I'm selfish.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Yeah a train from the Airport to downtown would trump everything

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Panthro' timestamp='1350059081' post='1944716']
Yeah a train from the Airport to downtown would trump everything
[/quote]
It'd be nice but it really wouldn't have much impact on traffic. It'd move people from the airport to Uptown and probably put the cab companies that barely survive in Charlotte out of business.

People on the west side are not really clogging up our roads during rush hour because few people on that side of town work 9-5 jobs in Uptown or Ballantyne.

Despite that, I'd still love to see an airport line because I'd love to be able to walk to the train station, hop on a train to the airport, and get on my flight without having to deal with parking my car or paying for days of parking.

Anyway, I'm just glad to see that the line is being funded. I hope more follow it in the future. The Blue Line thus far has exceeded ridership projections and with all the new projects being announced, its use will only grow more.

Posted · Report post

Waiting for the Wilmington Line so I can go to more tailgates...
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Kurb' timestamp='1350066136' post='1944813']
Waiting for the Wilmington Line so I can go to more tailgates...
[/quote]

The going rate based on the budget is $123 million per mile of tracks. Got 24 billion dollars? (And some environmental variances?)

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Jase' timestamp='1350068365' post='1944840']
The going rate based on the budget is $123 million per mile of tracks. Got 24 billion dollars? (And some environmental variances?)
[/quote]

:lol: 123 mill per mile? Wow...smh

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Jase' timestamp='1350068365' post='1944840']
[/quote]
That's actually less than I would have guessed.

The cost would be a lot lower though in undeveloped areas. The south line would have cost a lot more than it did if most of it were running through the median of like the extension is.

N. Tryon is going to be a clusterfug while construction is going on.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Kurb' timestamp='1350068540' post='1944843']

:lol: 123 mill per mile? Wow...smh
[/quote]

Only $1947 per inch.

Wish I could charge that for sex.

Posted · Report post

You'd clear 4 grand easily.

[color=#ffffff]sorry, that was too easy[/color]
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Finally, thank you.

Posted · Report post

The new line needs to go between Prov rd and uptown. Free up traffic on that road and 51 as well as 485. The university line is not as urgent imo.
I think keeping a shuttle system from uptown to the airport is easier than a rail. But you do have to expect growth and let that grow around the rail lines that get built.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='pstall' timestamp='1350070021' post='1944879']
The new line needs to go between Prov rd and uptown. Free up traffic on that road and 51 as well as 485. The university line is not as urgent imo.
I think keeping a shuttle system from uptown to the airport is easier than a rail. But you do have to expect growth and let that grow around the rail lines that get built.
[/quote]
I disagree on the University line. The University area has a high population density and is a fairly large business center (although most of those business centers are not directly accessibly via rail). The old IBM building has been retrofitted and has several large tenants moving there, not to mention the thousands that work at the university itself.

More than anything, I think it was necessary to keep the northern part of the county happy. They contribute to the 1/2 cent transit tax as well, so they need see that they're getting something out of the arrangement as well. If the southern part of the county got another line before the northern part, they wouldn't be too happy. The line up to the university will help people in the Huntersville area get into uptown the same the Pineville stop helps S. Charlotte residents get into uptown.

The University City area has over 200,000 residents. That's a pretty big chunk of the Charlotte population.

I'd love to see a line down Providence someday, but if it ever happens, it'll come at the expense of a lane of traffic, which I don't think people would be too happy about. The road cannot really be widened along most of Providence Road and there is no way they're going to chop down those old trees to add in rail.