• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:53 AM

Announcement to be made on the 16th at the 9th street station.

Construction will start next year.

#2 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,517 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

out to university?

#3 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

out to university?

Yes. Construction will finish in 2017.

I wish they were opening it in pieces instead of waiting until the entire thing is completed. At the very least, I thought they should open the line to NoDa once that section is completed. It will delay development along the line.

#4 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

Silver line or gtfo.

#5 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,200 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

Silver line or gtfo.

I agree. What a waste of money connecting a train to the university....great college students who couldnt get into UNC or State can now come into the city and drink....hooza

#6 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

Is that the one that was supposed to go down 74? If so, that would be a waste of a line.

The purpose of a rail line is to be something to be developed around and create communities that are less auto-dependent.

Putting a train down the middle of 74 does not do that. It would essentially serve only the suburban riders that don't want to pay to park downtown. The train systems are designed to serve those people as well, but they're also supposed to slow sprawl and limit future traffic growth. The silver line would not do that. the 74 corridor is a lost cause, especially with them turning even more of it into expressway.

Rail funding is based on population density and the population density along 74 would not qualify to receive funding.

I'd eventually love to see a light rail line out to the airport, one down Monroe Road to downtown Matthews, and an extension of the Blue Line to the Ballantyne area. A spur to SouthPark would be nice too, but the land to SouthPark is already very well developed, so the cost of buying/demo'ing that property for rail would be way too high.

#7 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

I agree. What a waste of money connecting a train to the university....great college students who couldnt get into UNC or State can now come into the city and drink....hooza

The population density along the Blue Line extension is very high and has areas that are prime for development. The NoDa area, which is already very popular, is going to explode after the LRL is completed.

The area up around Ikea/Walmart has hundreds of acres that are designed to be high density housing and retail once the line is completed.

#8 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

The purpose of a rail line is to be something to be developed around and create communities that are less auto-dependent.

Not really. South End wasn't already developed?

74 is in desperate need of relief.

#9 beach

beach

|~~-~-~|

• HUDDLER
  • 8,674 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

Is that the one that was supposed to go down 74? If so, that would be a waste of a line.

Putting a train down the middle of 74 does not do that. It would essentially serve only the suburban riders that don't want to pay to park downtown. The train systems are designed to serve those people as well, but they're also supposed to slow sprawl and limit future traffic growth. The silver line would not do that. the 74 corridor is a lost cause, especially with them turning even more of it into expressway.

Rail funding is based on population density and the population density along 74 would not qualify to receive funding.

I'd eventually love to see a light rail line out to the airport, one down Monroe Road to downtown Matthews, and an extension of the Blue Line to the Ballantyne area. A spur to SouthPark would be nice too, but the land to SouthPark is already very well developed, so the cost of buying/demo'ing that property for rail would be way too high.

You're thinking correctly.

I definitely think a south side east-west line would work well and you can bring the current line further down maybe even to the Baxter area or wherever. Connect downtown essentially to the airport and the largest suburbs (the ones causing a lot of major traffic problems). Down the road, eventually do Lake Norman veering off NW near the 77/85 junction from the new proposed northbound line.

But what other people do want is areas gentrified and its obvious the Plaza-Midwood NoDa, and Chantilly, etc. are going in the right direction for being close to downtown. Maybe a rail line down 74 could help out the Eastland Mall area way in the future. Central has taken a 180 in recent years further out than I thought would occur.

#10 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

Not really. South End wasn't already developed?

74 is in desperate need of relief.

74 is a lost cause. The city admitted that when they decided to turn more of it into an expressway. Monroe Road would be a better option for an eastern line with an area that could be a destination at the end of the line (downtown Matthews). A line on 74 offers no destination areas.

South End wasn't already developed. A few blocks were, but overall, no.

There are thousands of apartment units under construction in South End right now on land that was previously undeveloped. Thousands more have been completed since the Blue Line was announced. That corridor has changed a lot in the last 5 years and will change a lot more in the next two as many of the projects under construction come online.

There are a couple thousand more proposed that have not been publicly announced just yet. Across from the Lowes in South End, there is a plan for a Publix with 700ish apartment units on 8 acres that has not yet formally been announced. That alone represents another 14-1600 people in South End. Combined, all of the new apartment's coming online in South End will add 6-12,000 people to the area, which means it'd have more residents than Uptown.

#11 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

Monroe Rd is fine. It doesn't have to be on 74, just in a position to relief 74 going to Matthews.

Yes South End is getting more development, but to say it wasn't developed before is silly.

#12 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

We must have very different definitions of developed, or you are limiting what you consider SouthEnd to only a few blocks. It had some development, but it was not developed. It will still not be what I consider developed even after the current proposals are completed. There is still a lot of empty land or unused land in SouthEnd.

#13 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,517 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

A monroe road line would be awesome.

<<Can walk to monroe rd/downtown matthews from my house

#14 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

Mass transportation is for transportation, not urban development, although it's a nice side effect. The extension of the blue line makes sense but I want the silver line - 1. it'd be very effective 2. it'd directly benefit me and I'm selfish.

#15 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,200 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

Yeah a train from the Airport to downtown would trump everything

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.