32 replies to this topic

#16 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

Yeah a train from the Airport to downtown would trump everything

It'd be nice but it really wouldn't have much impact on traffic. It'd move people from the airport to Uptown and probably put the cab companies that barely survive in Charlotte out of business.

People on the west side are not really clogging up our roads during rush hour because few people on that side of town work 9-5 jobs in Uptown or Ballantyne.

Despite that, I'd still love to see an airport line because I'd love to be able to walk to the train station, hop on a train to the airport, and get on my flight without having to deal with parking my car or paying for days of parking.

Anyway, I'm just glad to see that the line is being funded. I hope more follow it in the future. The Blue Line thus far has exceeded ridership projections and with all the new projects being announced, its use will only grow more.

#17 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,566 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

Waiting for the Wilmington Line so I can go to more tailgates...

#18 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,112 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

The going rate based on the budget is $123 million per mile of tracks. Got 24 billion dollars? (And some environmental variances?)

#19 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,566 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

The going rate based on the budget is $123 million per mile of tracks. Got 24 billion dollars? (And some environmental variances?)

:lol: 123 mill per mile? Wow...smh

#20 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

That's actually less than I would have guessed.

The cost would be a lot lower though in undeveloped areas. The south line would have cost a lot more than it did if most of it were running through the median of like the extension is.

N. Tryon is going to be a clusterfug while construction is going on.

#21 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,112 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

:lol: 123 mill per mile? Wow...smh

Only $1947 per inch.

Wish I could charge that for sex.

#22 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

You'd clear 4 grand easily.

sorry, that was too easy

#23 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,112 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:22 PM

Finally, thank you.

#24 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,990 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

The new line needs to go between Prov rd and uptown. Free up traffic on that road and 51 as well as 485. The university line is not as urgent imo.
I think keeping a shuttle system from uptown to the airport is easier than a rail. But you do have to expect growth and let that grow around the rail lines that get built.

#25 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

The new line needs to go between Prov rd and uptown. Free up traffic on that road and 51 as well as 485. The university line is not as urgent imo.
I think keeping a shuttle system from uptown to the airport is easier than a rail. But you do have to expect growth and let that grow around the rail lines that get built.

I disagree on the University line. The University area has a high population density and is a fairly large business center (although most of those business centers are not directly accessibly via rail). The old IBM building has been retrofitted and has several large tenants moving there, not to mention the thousands that work at the university itself.

More than anything, I think it was necessary to keep the northern part of the county happy. They contribute to the 1/2 cent transit tax as well, so they need see that they're getting something out of the arrangement as well. If the southern part of the county got another line before the northern part, they wouldn't be too happy. The line up to the university will help people in the Huntersville area get into uptown the same the Pineville stop helps S. Charlotte residents get into uptown.

The University City area has over 200,000 residents. That's a pretty big chunk of the Charlotte population.

I'd love to see a line down Providence someday, but if it ever happens, it'll come at the expense of a lane of traffic, which I don't think people would be too happy about. The road cannot really be widened along most of Providence Road and there is no way they're going to chop down those old trees to add in rail.

#26 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,187 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

I agree. What a waste of money connecting a train to the university....great college students who couldnt get into UNC or State can now come into the city and drink....hooza

i don't know anything about this train or whatever but...couldn't get into state? what, is this train running to a community college or something?

#27 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,376 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

I know for a fact that the mapping has been completed for the Monroe bypass... And I suspect that the EIS has been too... When/if it will actually be built, who the hell knows...
High speed Trains (or really any mass transit) between cities will never happen in America... Too much distance and not enough demand.

#28 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 10,808 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:20 AM

I know for a fact that the mapping has been completed for the Monroe bypass... And I suspect that the EIS has been too... When/if it will actually be built, who the hell knows...
High speed Trains (or really any mass transit) between cities will never happen in America... Too much distance and not enough demand.

I think it would work in a few regions... cities around the Great Lakes for example. Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, work with Canada to connect Toronto with Detroit and Buffalo. Once Buffalo is connected, you can expand through the northeast.

But I don't think it would work anywhere else and I'm not sure it'll be anywhere near cost effective.

#29 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,046 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

I think it would work in a few regions... cities around the Great Lakes for example. Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, work with Canada to connect Toronto with Detroit and Buffalo. Once Buffalo is connected, you can expand through the northeast.

But I don't think it would work anywhere else and I'm not sure it'll be anywhere near cost effective.

It would probably work better along the Boston, NY, Philly, DC line. A heavier concentration of the population along with a populace that is already somewhat accustomed to mass transit. Amtrak's best routes are in the Northeast, and I think that is where the first high speed lines should go.

Putting high speed rail anywhere in the South (except perhaps Florida) or Midwest would be a mistake imo.

#30 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,567 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

let's have a whole bunch of lines and stack them on top of each other and makes cool star designs and have fancy music playing on the outside when they go by

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com