57 replies to this topic

#31 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,705 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

we do need an infusion of talent, but the good news is we have a nucleus of young and extremely talented players to build around. that's how you start rebuilding a franchise from the ground up.

now we just need to find the right guys to plug in.

we need to get bulky and athletic on defense with a legitimate WR talent at the least on the offensive side. Smitty is one of our best players of all time but its clear he's slowed down a bit

#32 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• HUDDLER
  • 5,264 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

The team is not as good as you think it is... even on paper. The D-line is not good, the DBs are not good, two of our LBs are coming off injury, we don't run it like we used to, the O-line is average, our WRs are average at best after Smitty. Not too sure what paper you've been reading, but it obviously was printed in Carolina blue ink.

THIS is exactly the kind of team breakdown that I did NOT see in abundance in the preseason. It was more like "we got Luke in case TD doesn't work out." "We got plenty of wide receivers and do not need to consider any of the big name free agents for the money." "Our pass rush is going to be improved enough so that it may shelter our rookie corner if he beats out Mun and Hogan."

This is what I was fishing for and it proves the point behind a lot of my posts the last couple weeks. When we lose NOW all of a sudden our players are garbage or below average and whatever.

Who the hell have you seen play to their potential this year YET? The list is short if you can even come up with the first name to start it. And I am not talking about what I believe their potential to be or what some guru says or what it says on the back of their rookie Topps. I am basing this off of what I have seen these guys do. I give everyone a sub-par grade on effort thus far. To me that is much worse than a sub-par grade by some talent scout or draft analyst. You lose but bust yer ass and play like we all have seen you play before, fine. That's a whole other bag of chips to choke down in the loser's lounge. But you get beat and look like you are going through the motions, not mentally prepared, not confident, not buying in to the program, or just plain half-assing all over the place then you get the vitriol. And you deserve it.

Not one of us in here can say that person is a good fan or a bad fan. Everybody picks up on different things. I'm not pissed because we are losing. I'm disgusted because we have not shown up for the season yet. A season that I still believe HAD a lot of promise.

The catch 22 though now is that when we see them sputter to life (longshot) the only thing we will be able to say is "where the f-ck where you clowns 5-8-13 weeks ago?" These guys will not grow together, mesh, or bond throughout this season. They did that last season and at camp. They have had time for all that emotional garbage. THIS was the year to get back into the playoffs. THIS F-CKING YEAR RIGHT HERE!

The one thing I can say for sure is that the players, coaches, office, and any fans that agree somewhat with the sentiment explained here will all be saying the same thing at the end of this season if they are not saying it already. "oh what could have, should have been"

#33 raleigh-panther

raleigh-panther

• HUDDLER
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

we just picked the wrong guy. .

Well rayzor, you have just found the one thing the Panthers can do consistently well...be it FA or draft.

...and that, is the difference between the Panthers and all losing organizations and the winning ones.

#34 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

Whats bizarre to me, is in the past Ive been one of the most vocal people on this board in regards to management and ownership decisions. But this year man, its strange, Im really pissed off with a lot of our players. Im more dissapointed in them right now than management although the FO still deserves all the criticism they get. Our guys have got to fuging play better. POINT BLANK. And Im talking bout right now, not Week 12 or 13 when we're eliminated from playoff contention and guys are just playing no pressure football. But RIGHT NOW. The point of having veterans is LEADERSHIP, and maybe in the locker room its prevelant, but on the field I dont see it. Our OC hasnt done us any favors in 2012, but that doesnt excuse guys from dropping passes, fumbling the ball. On D its missed tackles, blown assignments, guys taking bad angles in pass protection. We are the Bad News Bears right now, and its pathetic. If guys aint gonna step up, they need to go, and lets get some guys in here who are hungry and can get the job done. It aint called Not For Long for nothing.

#35 Gabeking

Gabeking

• HUDDLER
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

I think Martin had a decent(not spectacular) game last week, no? I think we should at least give him a start and see how he holds up, no reason not to.. The guy has talent, he just needs to show it on a more consistent basis, I say give him one more shot, considering he had a good preseason as well. Just my 2 cents.

#36 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,689 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

I think most people underestimate how much poor coaching and playcalling can hamper and impede a good team from looking good.

If you look at the Pats roster, tell me position to position where they are better than us in terms of pure TALENT. Not football IQ, execution, or anything else outside of talent and ability.

Coaching, coaching, coaching... Year after year we fail to start fast and look prepared in general.

#37 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

THIS is exactly the kind of team breakdown that I did NOT see in abundance in the preseason. It was more like "we got Luke in case TD doesn't work out." "We got plenty of wide receivers and do not need to consider any of the big name free agents for the money." "Our pass rush is going to be improved enough so that it may shelter our rookie corner if he beats out Mun and Hogan."

This is what I was fishing for and it proves the point behind a lot of my posts the last couple weeks. When we lose NOW all of a sudden our players are garbage or below average and whatever.

Who the hell have you seen play to their potential this year YET? The list is short if you can even come up with the first name to start it. And I am not talking about what I believe their potential to be or what some guru says or what it says on the back of their rookie Topps. I am basing this off of what I have seen these guys do. I give everyone a sub-par grade on effort thus far. To me that is much worse than a sub-par grade by some talent scout or draft analyst. You lose but bust yer ass and play like we all have seen you play before, fine. That's a whole other bag of chips to choke down in the loser's lounge. But you get beat and look like you are going through the motions, not mentally prepared, not confident, not buying in to the program, or just plain half-assing all over the place then you get the vitriol. And you deserve it.

Not one of us in here can say that person is a good fan or a bad fan. Everybody picks up on different things. I'm not pissed because we are losing. I'm disgusted because we have not shown up for the season yet. A season that I still believe HAD a lot of promise.

The catch 22 though now is that when we see them sputter to life (longshot) the only thing we will be able to say is "where the f-ck where you clowns 5-8-13 weeks ago?" These guys will not grow together, mesh, or bond throughout this season. They did that last season and at camp. They have had time for all that emotional garbage. THIS was the year to get back into the playoffs. THIS F-CKING YEAR RIGHT HERE!

The one thing I can say for sure is that the players, coaches, office, and any fans that agree somewhat with the sentiment explained here will all be saying the same thing at the end of this season if they are not saying it already. "oh what could have, should have been"

well said. lot's are assuming that because these guys haven't been performing well that they just aren't capable of it and that since this coaching staff hasn't done an good job so far that they just aren't capable of it. i don't buy either of those things.

i think we have the talent and the coaching staff to win games that we haven't been. they just haven't been doing it. they've been making mistakes and their heads haven't been where they need to be. i'm just as frustrated...well, maybe not as frustrated as you are, but still frustrated because they aren't living up to their potential. they are just making stupid mistake after stupid mistake and it's costing them wins that they were soooo close to pulling off.

the good thing is that a lot of it has to do with youth and maturity issues and experience (esp. experience with regards to coaching and i would also say maturity where chud and mcD are concerned).

#38 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

Whats bizarre to me, is in the past Ive been one of the most vocal people on this board in regards to management and ownership decisions. But this year man, its strange, Im really pissed off with a lot of our players. Im more dissapointed in them right now than management although the FO still deserves all the criticism they get. Our guys have got to fuging play better. POINT BLANK. And Im talking bout right now, not Week 12 or 13 when we're eliminated from playoff contention and guys are just playing no pressure football. But RIGHT NOW. The point of having veterans is LEADERSHIP, and maybe in the locker room its prevelant, but on the field I dont see it. Our OC hasnt done us any favors in 2012, but that doesnt excuse guys from dropping passes, fumbling the ball. On D its missed tackles, blown assignments, guys taking bad angles in pass protection. We are the Bad News Bears right now, and its pathetic. If guys aint gonna step up, they need to go, and lets get some guys in here who are hungry and can get the job done. It aint called Not For Long for nothing.

durn tootin'

absolutely on point.

#39 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

I think Martin had a decent(not spectacular) game last week, no? I think we should at least give him a start and see how he holds up, no reason not to.. The guy has talent, he just needs to show it on a more consistent basis, I say give him one more shot, considering he had a good preseason as well. Just my 2 cents.

martin's best games have come when the starting gig wasn't his. i kind of think that we should keep it that way. some people play better when they've got something to prove than when they've proved it.

#40 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

Well rayzor, you have just found the one thing the Panthers can do consistently well...be it FA or draft.

...and that, is the difference between the Panthers and all losing organizations and the winning ones.

we picked the right QB last year. we picked the right players on offense last year (even if we made a mistake in letting one of them go, talking shockey). this year we drafted really good players and picked up a decent UT (not outstanding but still an upgrade from what we had).

things are turning around. still a lot of work to do.

#41 YoureWelcome

YoureWelcome

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

no we don't. we have a big f*cking loser here.

6-10 and 1-4 prove that.

#42 Verge

Verge

Huddle Troll Legend

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

I think most people underestimate how much poor coaching and playcalling can hamper and impede a good team from looking good.

If you look at the Pats roster, tell me position to position where they are better than us in terms of pure TALENT. Not football IQ, execution, or anything else outside of talent and ability.

Coaching, coaching, coaching... Year after year we fail to start fast and look prepared in general.

QB
WR
TE
T
G
DT
S
CB

#43 P.I.A

P.I.A

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • LocationRotting slowly in Afghanistan

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

I agree with most of what was said. Unfortunately, like most teams with un-organized talent, (I.E. The 1998 colts) The Carolina panthers haven't nailed down their moving parts. Keuchly is a Beast, He has potential through the roof. Beason is a monster, Frank alexander has amazing potential, and Norman is growing under pressure. I will not bash our coach because I am not Ron rivera, nor am I MCD. Although I would like to see the key leaders provide some actual leadership. I do believe I saw a maturation in the defense against seattle. All though seattle was not , and is not a offensive powerhouse, we played with a better sense of urgency. Now, concerning Cam Newton...... He has been rode-down and beat -up. I know that the Read-option is not a viable offense in the NFL, But I do know that we ran it with considerable success last year AFTER we established the run. We pulled the trick plays and Poo after we knocked the opposing defenses on their heels. I see everyone saying the same thing so at least I'm not the only one. I want to see some smash mouth football..... Knock the defensive line off the ball, run between the tackles, when the defense bunches up, option that sucker outside. When they spread out, smash their face again. And when they are beat down, THEN throw the deep ball. Non of this patsy 8-man bush league offense. Its time like these that I wish Brad Hoover wasn't gone. But overall, I believe the panthers are improving, not by leaps and bounds, but by inches. And, as we all know, football is a game of inches. Go Panthers.... I look forward to seeing a W when they finally send a tape of the game too me!!! Once again, Go Panthers!!!!!

#44 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,628 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:37 PM

This team has about an average sized talent pool overall. However, it also has positional weaknesses that are bad enough to be exploited to the point of losing games. It's an obvious indictment to the guy who's ignored fixing those weaknesses for years, and that isn't Rivera.

#45 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 7,876 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

QB
WR
TE
T
G
DT
S
CB

HAHAHAHAHAHA

This was my thought as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.