THANK GOD SOMEONE IN THE MEDIA FINALLY REALIZED THIS

#32 jdogg66

jdogg66

The Man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

Pulling the race card in a league that is predominantly black athletes. Go take your shoe off and kick a brick wall KT

#33 beastson

beastson

Cam

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,809 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

Pulling the race card in a league that is predominantly black athletes. Go take your shoe off and kick a brick wall KT

Thats the exact thing though cause the QB is predominatly what?

#34 jdogg66

jdogg66

The Man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

Thats the exact thing though cause the QB is predominatly what?

Yeah that's fine but I don't care to hear anything about race in the NFL when,

WR is dominated by what?

RB is dominated by what?

CB is dominated by what?

#35 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 8,042 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

Cam hasn't shot anyone, beat up anyone, raped anyone, or had a DUI.

So how about we stick to talking about his play.

#36 Montie_0123

Montie_0123

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

That was a good write up, and like most I really wish the media would stop comparing the two but we all know that will never happen.

#37 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,769 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

Yeah that's fine but I don't care to hear anything about race in the NFL when,

WR is dominated by what?

RB is dominated by what?

CB is dominated by what?

i used to agree with this, but it's dodging the heart of the issue, which is that perceptions of a black QB playing a predominantly white position are far different than, say, perceptions of a white RB playing a position that is predominantly black.

nobody's calling anyone racist, but there are definitely misconceptions and biases based, commonly if not always intentionally, on a racial basis.

#38 Guest_Bwood_*

Guest_Bwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

I guarantee Cam Newton succeeds in this league

Hahahaha!

In the words of Katy Perry "You, change your mind, like a girl, changes clothes."

#39 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 14,912 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

Finally someone in the media is making sense.

#40 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

i used to agree with this, but it's dodging the heart of the issue, which is that perceptions of a black QB playing a predominantly white position are far different than, say, perceptions of a white RB playing a position that is predominantly black.

No, they're not really that different at all. They're both based on negative racial stereotypes. They're based on the stereotype that white guys aren't athletic enough to play CB or RB and they're based on the stereotype that black guys aren't smart enough to play QB. They're both negative, just one is physical and one is mental. That's really the only difference.

#41 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,379 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

No, they're not really that different at all. They're both based on negative racial stereotypes. They're based on the stereotype that white guys aren't athletic enough to play CB or RB and they're based on the stereotype that black guys aren't smart enough to play QB. They're both negative, just one is physical and one is mental. That's really the only difference.

Here's where I think the difference lies...white players are often characterized as less athletic than black players. It is a negative, that is true, but compare that to black players, especially QB's. Too often, when they struggle it is attributed to a fault in their character, as opposed to what their bodies can do.

Whether it's McNabb getting blasted for a lack of courage or Cam taking heat for not acting "properly" when he is coming off a loss, it is a different kind of attack than is typical with white players. Sure, there are outliers on both sides, like character flawed Ryan Leaf or Jeff George or even Cutler, but character attacks seem to come much easier when dissecting the game of black QB's.

In Cam's case, the guy has done nothing since he joined the league to warrant the character attacks. He hasn't yelled at his coaches or the officials. He hasn't pushed one of his teammates or a cameraman. He hasn't publicly called out a teammate. He has done none of that (and all the above are real things that high profile white QB's have done). So ask yourself the question, why him? Why is he the guy that gets singled out?

#42 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,911 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:42 AM

Again, because Cam didn't fail when entering the league. He did well. So did Vince Young. They both then struggled with their emotions in their 2nd year.

If the comparison was to Jamarcus Russell, I'd agree with you. But Vince Young's situation was very similar to Cam's. It's now just about how he deals with it from here.

Newton's emotions are no different than when he rewrote the record book last year...

VY and Cam have very little in common

#43 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,911 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:49 AM

I'd say Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck, and Jake Locker have similar skill sets and they are white.

I wouldn't. They all 3 have mobility though....

#44 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,187 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

Here is a major problem with black qb's coming into the league. Its not their fault but more on the system in college. Most are used to be duel threats and never taught how to play in a pro system offense. Their athletisiam actually hurts their development. I have seen it over and over. Great qb in college but can't cut it in then nfl. Or great college qb but made wr because he never learned the pro system or given the chance. Cam right now on the same road. He needs to sit in the pocket and play qb not rb.

#45 Originalman

Originalman

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

Here is a major problem with black qb's coming into the league. Its not their fault but more on the system in college. Most are used to be duel threats and never taught how to play in a pro system offense. Their athletisiam actually hurts their development. I have seen it over and over. Great qb in college but can't cut it in then nfl. Or great college qb but made wr because he never learned the pro system or given the chance. Cam right now on the same road. He needs to sit in the pocket and play qb not rb.

But how can you sit in the pocket if your coach is calling spread option plays. I have seen black QBs who played from the pocket in college get called out on draft day because they were slow and weren't mobile. I remember coach Prince at Kansas State saying that he had to have Freeman show off his running skills in games because the NFL scouts thought he wasn't mobile enough and that was a negative.

It seems as though if these black QB aren't able to be dual threats, do amazing physical feats and be super human on the field NFL teams have no need for them to start. If all they can do is stand back there and pass the hell with it.....basically they feel they can get a white QB to do that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.