Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fundamental Question: How is Christianity not polytheism?

133 posts in this topic

Posted

Donald Rumsfeld can do all of that, is it a big deal?

Oh poo, I think you just made a big connection...

Posted

Because to be polytheists they would have to worship more than one god. They only worship and praise one god, so they are monotheist.

Posted

Not true. One only needs to recognize that there are many gods to be polytheist by definition.

So how is Satan any different than any number of roman gods, which was a politheistic society?

Posted

I would like to meet all the mainstream Christians that believe satan is either omnipresent or omnipotent.

IF one does believe that to be the case AND they also believe in God. Yes, in the classic case of polytheism it would be true.

But lets lay some context on "satan".

Job 1:7- And the Lord said to Satan, “Where do you come from?” Satan answered the Lord, 1 “From roving about on the earth, and from walking back and forth across it.”

So Satan himself admits to walking. Hardly a god.

We all know about Job and his struggles and overcoming adversity.

Job 1:12-

So the Lord said to Satan, “All right then, 1 everything he has is 2 in your power. 3 Only do not extend your hand against the man himself!” 4 So Satan went out 5 from the presence of the Lord. 6

Job 2:6 So the Lord said to Satan, “All right, 1 he is 2 in your power; 3 only preserve 4 his life.”

Satan had to do what God said regarding Job. Couldn't touch him.

Then for the individual-

James 4:7 So submit to God. But resist the devil and he will flee from you.

So the person has the ability to RESIST. Make a choice. Decide. And the result, at least per the Bible, is satan flees. Apparently on foot since he mentioned walking earlier.

Again, hardly a god.

Having said all that, not sure what polytheism has to do with a persons walk with God or lackthereof.

Posted

If I am wrong I will be a long time dead.

That sure sounds like faith defined to me. :lol:

Posted

I would like to meet all the mainstream Christians that believe satan is either omnipresent or omnipotent.

IF one does believe that to be the case AND they also believe in God. Yes, in the classic case of polytheism it would be true.

But lets lay some context on "satan".

Job 1:7- And the Lord said to Satan, “Where do you come from?” Satan answered the Lord, 1 “From roving about on the earth, and from walking back and forth across it.”

So Satan himself admits to walking. Hardly a god.

We all know about Job and his struggles and overcoming adversity.

Job 1:12-

So the Lord said to Satan, “All right then, 1 everything he has is 2 in your power. 3 Only do not extend your hand against the man himself!” 4 So Satan went out 5 from the presence of the Lord. 6

Job 2:6 So the Lord said to Satan, “All right, 1 he is 2 in your power; 3 only preserve 4 his life.”

Satan had to do what God said regarding Job. Couldn't touch him.

Then for the individual-

James 4:7 So submit to God. But resist the devil and he will flee from you.

So the person has the ability to RESIST. Make a choice. Decide. And the result, at least per the Bible, is satan flees. Apparently on foot since he mentioned walking earlier.

Again, hardly a god.

Having said all that, not sure what polytheism has to do with a persons walk with God or lackthereof.

Do you follow the Zoroastrian strain surrounding 1 Chron 21? It's been a pleasant little source of debate for a long time running.

Posted

Jesus got around by walking on the earth too. No wonder no one in their right mind thinks he's a god either.

Posted

Jesus got around by walking on the earth too. No wonder no one in their right mind thinks he's a god either.

Ever hear of the Resurrection?

Posted

Well that of course is assuming that Jesus had no other choice but to walk.

Posted

Ever hear of the Resurrection?

No one actually saw that. They saw a dude walking.

Posted

No one actually saw that. They saw a dude walking.

And an empty tomb.

:boxing_smiley: