Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zod

Fundamental Question: How is Christianity not polytheism?

133 posts in this topic

So if you ignore what people believe for the sake of objectivity...

And ignore the holy book, the only concrete thing about their religion, for the sake of objectivity...

What's left to define that religion's gods? (hint: the only remaining source is not objective)

Yet another fallacy here is that you're assuming that there are only two types of beings to christians, much like to greeks and romans: gods and mortals.

Trouble is that christianity defines three groups: god, mortals, and immortals. With immortals not having the same abilities as either of the other two.

When was the last time you saw in the bible that satan created something?

When did the ability to create become a prerequisite for a deity?

ok ok

Satan is immortal, powerful, lives in a netherworld, can control minds, but is definitely NOT a god. Now thats logical.

Because the part after the "but" is the illogical part. :rolleyes:

Do you see the incongruence?

You're trying to be objective while ignoring everything objective about the subject.

It's like trying to be objective about which color is the best. IF you ignore all the silly stuff about wavelengths and the rods and cones in our eyes.

First off if you read the OT you would KNOW that the Jews back then actually believed other god's existed! They didn't start out being considered monotheistic. if you read the works of OT scholars you would know this.

also the amount of power that christians give to satan certainly sounds like a god to me.

here is just a small example.

Christians talk about not putting other gods before God like Money, entertainment etc.

i have sat through many church sermons on this.

well if those things are considered gods then shouldn't Satan be? especially since most Christians consider so many of those "gods" (like entertainment, money) are from Satan.

Because the part after the "but" is the illogical part. :rolleyes:

Do you see the incongruence?

You're trying to be objective while ignoring everything objective about the subject.

It's like trying to be objective about which color is the best. IF you ignore all the silly stuff about wavelengths and the rods and cones in our eyes.

I believe ducks are actually reptiles. Thats my believe, thus anyone studying my scientific ideas must agree ducks are reptiles, because it is inherent in my belief.

Observations can and should be made outside of the dogma of followers of any religion. In the case of Christianity, they have gotten around the problem of being a monotheistic religion by simple nomenclature. They are not gods, they are immortals! Yeah!

I believe ducks are actually reptiles. Thats my believe, thus anyone studying my scientific ideas must agree ducks are reptiles, because it is inherent in my belief.

Observations can and should be made outside of the dogma of followers of any religion. In the case of Christianity, they have gotten around the problem of being a monotheistic religion by simple nomenclature. They are not gods, they are immortals! Yeah!

How do you propose to do this while ignoring the holy book of the religion? :bigear:

The simpler answer is that in the canonical books that christians follow, it is written that there is one God, and that satan is a creation of said god, and not a god himself. And what do you have to go by about a religion if not it's holy book? You can attack the accuracies of the bible, but when push comes to shove, it's the only concrete thing you have to go by. And "thou shalt have no other gods before me" is pretty clear.

There's another god that keeps popping up in the tanak... named ba'al. Just another god of those polytheistic christians and jews, right?

maybe i'm just not following your argument and if I am just misunderstanding you then please let me know.

The commandment "thou shalt have no other god's before me" doesn't mean that there isn't any other gods, its just saying that he is commanding the Jews to not worship any of them.

The bible acknowledging that people worshiped other things? Stop the presses!

The bible acknowledging that people worshiped other things? Stop the presses!

maybe you aren't understanding what i'm saying

Just because the bible acknowledged people hold other things as gods doesn't mean the bible recognizes its validity.