Photo
- - - - -

Fundamental Question: How is Christianity not polytheism?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
132 replies to this topic

#31 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,495 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:40 PM

:lol:

You mean the discovery channel special a couple of years back? The one that was quickly dismissed by archaeologists? The one that was James Cameron's doing? JAMES CAMERON??

I saw on gossip girls the other night that the flying spaghetti monster's the one true god... so I'm going to go in that direction...

#32 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:48 PM

I would like to meet all the mainstream Christians that believe satan is either omnipresent or omnipotent.
IF one does believe that to be the case AND they also believe in God. Yes, in the classic case of polytheism it would be true.

Your requirement for a god to be omnipotent or omnipresent is not historically accurate. Most gods throughout history were neither.

#33 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:51 PM

Well it wasn't exactly quickly dismissed so much as it was quickly covered up.

The only real difinative thing determined about the site was "Yup, that's a tomb. Damndest thing."

Of course, even if there was a neon sign pointing to it saying "We got Jesus hisownself inside! Take a peek!", it doesn't really mean a whole lot and anyone who thinks it would isn't really well equiped to discuss religion.

#34 The Link

The Link

Satire Enthusiast

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:51 PM

:lol:

You mean the discovery channel special a couple of years back? The one that was quickly dismissed by archaeologists? The one that was James Cameron's doing? JAMES CAMERON??

I saw on gossip girls the other night that the flying spaghetti monster's the one true god... so I'm going to go in that direction...

I thought the invisible pink unicorn was...

#35 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:54 PM

So Satan himself admits to walking. Hardly a god.

errr

aaaa

hmmmm

I think you should rethink that statement!

#36 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 22,172 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:11 PM

errr

aaaa

hmmmm

I think you should rethink that statement!

Ahh. Wasn't the original focus about OMNIPRESENT god(s) as far as satan is concerned?

The fact that Jesus walked to touch people on a personal level was God's way of lowering himself to humans. Kinda hard to be a follower of Jesus if he isn't around to, you know..follow.
Most other gods, it's the other way around.
And I also agreed on the polyt thing did I not?
Not sure if it's another thread(been in too many tonight) about the reason behind the NT. God was a pretty tough and narrow hombre in the OT.
He could have said at the end of Malachai, well, thats it as far as humans. Total mistake and went on his merry way.
But he himself changed his mind, at least by looking back it appears that way, to offer a SECOND chance. Thus we get the carpenter.
There are passages about Jesus being able to relate to us. This is a far far cry from what the Pharisees and Sadducees and the Jews themselves expected as far as a messiah. Jesus comes and talks about God as a father, not this Greybeard hurling lighting bolts.

#37 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:26 PM

Not sure where you get omnipresence as a focus.

#38 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 22,172 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:38 PM

Not sure where you get omnipresence as a focus.

Mainstream Christianity believes that Satan is an actual entity with powers to transform himself, travel instantly all over the world, live in an unearthly place, and have the ability to influence if not completely take over human consciousness.

This is what you started with. That is all I was talking about.

#39 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:41 PM

Mainstream media and liberals believe that Obama is an actual entity with powers to transform himself, travel instantly all over the world, live in an unearthly place, and have the ability to influence if not completely take over human consciousness.

Call it what it is.

#40 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,814 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:27 PM

He has the power to get under your skin like a rabid tick and right now, that's working pretty good for me

#41 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 22,172 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:42 PM

He has the power to get under your skin like a rabid tick and right now, that's working pretty good for me

You talking about Obama?

#42 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:16 AM

Mainstream Christianity believes that Satan is an actual entity with powers to transform himself, travel instantly all over the world, live in an unearthly place, and have the ability to influence if not completely take over human consciousness.

This is what you started with. That is all I was talking about.

What about that says omnipresence? If one is omnipresent, ones does not need to travel.

#43 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 22,172 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:54 AM

What about that says omnipresence? If one is omnipresent, ones does not need to travel.

I think I pretty much covered this when I mentioned the passage about resisting the devil and he FLEES(meaning NOT with you, meaning NOT at all places at once) from you.
There are those that think multipresence might be a more apt description of satan.

He being a former angel, cast down to earth. Angels can do some pretty neat things.

satan is not omnipresent

#44 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:56 AM

I think I pretty much covered this when I mentioned the passage about resisting the devil and he FLEES(meaning NOT with you, meaning NOT at all places at once) from you.
There are those that think multipresence might be a more apt description of satan.

He being a former angel, cast down to earth. Angels can do some pretty neat things.

satan is not omnipresent

Correct, he is not. Never said he was.

But neither were the majority of Roman, Greek, Hindu gods.

So how is Satan any different from any number of those entities clearly labeled as gods.

#45 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 22,172 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:06 AM

Correct, he is not. Never said he was.

But neither were the majority of Roman, Greek, Hindu gods.

So how is Satan any different from any number of those entities clearly labeled as gods.

That is the operative word. We label Hugh Hefner a god. Does that mean he is?
Earnhardt? Same thing.

Not sure the direction you are wanting to go. I agreed with polytheism and the belief of both. That lines up with the other gods part.
But that also means if a christian believes that, he or she lacks a full understanding of what we have been talking about here.

People have various gods. They might not come out and say that but by the time they spend on/with/for something could be considered such.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com