Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some very good pass rushers in this draft

30 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[quote name='jarhead' timestamp='1350555567' post='1950211']

There is always next year to pick up Clowney
[/quote]

Certainly not happening

Posted · Report post

[quote name='carolina-chuck' timestamp='1350536658' post='1950172']

Yes Montgomery has the size and weight to be a 43 but hes clearly isnt built like one physically. And he should hope that a 34 team picks him and not a 43. He need to be used like an Aldon Smith.
[/quote]
he is built like a 4-3 end. 6'4 260+ is plenty of size for a 4-3 DE.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='DaCityKats' timestamp='1350568475' post='1950318']

he is built like a 4-3 end. 6'4 260+ is plenty of size for a 4-3 DE.
[/quote]

And I agreed with that. I'm not talking weight and height here. Go look at Montgomery physically. He's built like a rushing OLB. I'm not saying he won't be able to play in a 43 but if I was him, I'd wish a 34 team pick me and uses me like Aldon Smith.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='carolina-chuck' timestamp='1350572044' post='1950387']
And I agreed with that. I'm not talking weight and height here. Go look at Montgomery physically. He's built like a rushing OLB. I'm not saying he won't be able to play in a 43 but if I was him, I'd wish a 34 team pick me and uses me like Aldon Smith.
[/quote]

he looks like a DE just athletic as all get out. Osi and Babin are slender 4-3 DEs as well.

Posted · Report post

[IMG]http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s24/chucklee_5/jones_zps2096fc2d.jpg[/IMG]

Posted · Report post

[quote name='carolina-chuck' timestamp='1350594446' post='1950894']
[img]http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s24/chucklee_5/jones_zps2096fc2d.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

I could actually see Jones falling. Supreme talent, but his ideal fit is a 3-4 team due to his size and pass rushing ability and there may not be any drafting in the top 6-7 picks. Best fits would seem to be IND or NYJ, although he could be used like Von Miller is in Denver....

Posted · Report post

[quote name='carolina-chuck' timestamp='1350563884' post='1950239']
Certainly not happening
[/quote]Yeah Clowney is unanimously going first overall

Posted · Report post

[quote name='C47' timestamp='1350595238' post='1950904']
I could actually see Jones falling. Supreme talent, but his ideal fit is a 3-4 team due to his size and pass rushing ability and there may not be any drafting in the top 6-7 picks. Best fits would seem to be IND or NYJ, although he could be used like Von Miller is in Denver....
[/quote]

Yes thats exactly what I think. If Indy or NYJ lands a top 5, no way will Jones fall out the top 5. A lot of teams that may end up drafting high runs a 43 and will look for other positions to fill (i.e. QB, DE, DT). I would not be surprise to see Jones still on the board after the first 5 picks have gone by. Jones imo is the best pass rusher in next year draft who already have 5.5 sacks this year and 13.5 a season ago. Hes almost the same size and weight as Miller. A lot of scouts seemed to also think that Jones can be a Von Miller type OLB in a 43 and I wouldnt doubt it. Even though we have a log jam at the lb position, Jones bring a different kind of skill sets to the position and his ability to rush will make up for our lack of rushing to the qb.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CardiacCats' timestamp='1350596268' post='1950923']
Yeah Clowney is unanimously going first overall
[/quote]

Yea as of right now, but you never know what will happen from now through 2014. The thing is, we would really have to suck badly (top 5) for us to even be in the conversations for Clowney. I doubt we'd be that bad in 2013. Lets hope not.

Posted · Report post

I'd take mingo and have him play OLB with Luke in the middle. That could be pretty scary having them two as linebackers for many years

Posted · Report post

[quote name='BigFurryKittyMan' timestamp='1350597027' post='1950936']
I'd take mingo and have him play OLB with Luke in the middle. That could be pretty scary having them two as linebackers for many years
[/quote]

I think Mingo doesnt really fit the mold as a 43 olb. We wouldnt be doing our self or Mingo a favorite if we drafted him as a 43 olb. Jarvis Jones is the only projected 34 olb that I can see making an easy transition to a 43 olb in the next level.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='carolina-chuck' timestamp='1350596540' post='1950926'] Yes thats exactly what I think. If Indy or NYJ lands a top 5, no way will Jones fall out the top 5. A lot of teams that may end up drafting high runs a 43 and will look for other positions to fill (i.e. QB, DE, DT). I would not be surprise to see Jones still on the board after the first 5 picks have gone by. Jones imo is the best pass rusher in next year draft who already have 5.5 sacks this year and 13.5 a season ago. Hes almost the same size and weight as Miller. A lot of scouts seemed to also think that Jones can be a Von Miller type OLB in a 43 and I wouldnt doubt it. Even though we have a log jam at the lb position, Jones bring a different kind of skill sets to the position and his ability to rush will make up for our lack of rushing to the qb. [/quote]

I've slept on this thought, and I'm now completely on board with Jones if the two DT's are off the board, and we can move one of our other high dollar LB in Beason or Anderson. He's the best play maker on the defensive side of the ball in this draft class, and that is something we desperately need....