Photo
- - - - -

With Kalil Gone...

Offense

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Offense (36 member(s) have cast votes)

With Kalil Out do we go back to basics on Offense

1. Yes (17 votes [47.22%])

Percentage of vote: 47.22%

2. No (19 votes [52.78%])

Percentage of vote: 52.78%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TruCatzFan

TruCatzFan

Phil 4:13

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,470 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:31 AM

Do you think we go back to basics?

Kalil is arguably the best center in the NFL. There's no doubt that his loss will hurt this team and perhaps even it's philosophy. On any given play you could catch Kalil out in the flats and upfield while pulling to block. I suspect that those days me be over for this offense.

Rivera admitted to changing his play call in the Seahawks game and not running Cam on a Sneak on 4th down against the Seahawks. I'm just wondering if it will continue to change our philosophy on the offensive side of the ball.

I suspect this should open up more playing time for Jonathan Stewart in passing situations to add some more blocking support. Jonathan is a beast in pass support as we all know. I'm also of the opinion that we may even do more conventional plays out of the backfield. More north to south and runs off of the guards and tackles.

It will be interesting to see how we adjust moving forward. I hope that we can overcome it, but my gut says that we won't. At a minimum we may see exponentially less of the read option though. I guess we'll see come Sunday. I figured this could generate some good conversation until then though.

#2 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,519 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

I doubt it.

#3 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:39 AM

Thats precisely what the Cowboys will expect us to do.

Instead, double reverse run option flea flicker.

#4 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,886 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

sure, a basic hook and lateral, a basic statue of liberty, a basic triple option, a basic double pass...

#5 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

Anyone know if Kalil was "designated for return"? or do we have another IR player with that. Meaning he can come back off IR at any point in the season.

#6 TruCatzFan

TruCatzFan

Phil 4:13

• HUDDLER
  • 6,470 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:50 AM

Also expecting to see more Double TE sets as well

#7 capfolly

capfolly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

God I hope so but with this coaching staff i doubt it.

#8 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • 4,652 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

Anyone know if Kalil was "designated for return"? or do we have another IR player with that. Meaning he can come back off IR at any point in the season.

Wasn't designated for return...done for year

#9 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • 4,652 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:28 AM

I really hope they start running some more straight power plays TBH, our o-line gets a lot less athletic so stringing plays out sideline to sideline won't be good for our o-line, which means the read option is not a good idea. Plays take too long to develop

#10 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,598 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

it would make a lot of sense to cut out the flashy stuff and to try and get cam to get the ball out of his hands earlier. it would make a lot of sense to use the RBs and pound the cowboys to death. it would make sense to use a lot of screen passes. it would make sense to have cam spread the ball around to other receivers instead of focusing the game on just him and smitty.

don't see any of that happening. i see chud sitting there at his desk trying to outsmart everyone and come up with something that nobody has ever thought of before. that one play that will turn everything around and turn momentum our way.

i see cam thinking that it's up to him to win or lose and at the first sign of a mistake lose faith in himself and takes the whole team with him.

ugh.

the only thing that gives me any bit of optimism this game is that we are facing the biggest choke artist in the league. this is a game that the cowboys should win. that doesn't usually work out for them, esp. this year.

#11 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

with Kalil out, and not having a stable middle on that oline, thats gonna force chud to be even more flashy and have cam running around more. dont look for any rb draws up the middle for the remainder of the year.

#12 Chaos

Chaos

@chaos_cltsports

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,064 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

ground and punt, err pound

#13 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,508 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

I suspect this should open up more playing time for Jonathan Stewart in passing situations to add some more blocking support. Jonathan is a beast in pass support as we all know.

This is conventional wisdom around here, but it's just not true. Jonathon has consistently been one of the worst pass blocking RB's in the league.

#14 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,654 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

I don't expect any changes. Why change something that is so flashy. Even if your Ferrari does not start its still a Ferrari right?.... Right?

#15 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,742 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

Like a ferrari with no spark plugs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com