Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Delhommey

Remember, race has nothing to do with it...

169 posts in this topic

hey repeat it enough times and i'm sure another republican will be right along to cheer lead for you as well!

anyway i'll just reiterate:

if "lazy people are more likely to be poor than otherwise," then "not-lazy" people are less likely to be poor than otherwise (since you know the majority of americans do not meet the government's standard of poverty). he is playing a semantics game.

actually, he's playing a semantics game in the same way that you are. and it's why you haven't really contributed to the discussion in any meaningful way. i'm assuming it's because you're still mad over one of your previous failures (rape apology, "i have a black friend", and other instances of you being entirely incapable of discussing social issues)

Dear god you are an idiot ^.

Lol at thinking any one person can change anything in 4 years.

Does one really think Just for mens' Mittions Romney wont hook up all his boys to make sure off shore bank accounts is the way cool people still hide money safely as they pay record low corporate tax rates bc of their Job Creator status?!

The only people that should vote for Mitton's say shiatte like this, "When I summer in the Hamptons with the Rothchilds I like to have a bit of cash as I attend my Skull and Bones annual bar-b-q."

you may agree or disagree with his policies but Bush did a heck of a lot more.

not up for a political debate just saying that Bush did do more, Clinton too for that matter.

Dear god you are an idiot ^.

that means a lot coming from a paulite

too bad they took away neg rep. now you can't neg my entire posting history with this account and your "superman prime" alt :(

you didn't really answer the question

why do you think that is? why do you think black people are more likely to live in poverty than white people? because when you say something like "people on welfare are not incented to work hard and take personal responsibility for their lives," while freely acknowledging that black people are more likely to live in poverty, it reeks of "black people are just lazy." this is why the myth of the welfare queen is racist.

I said before that I don't know why 1 out of 3 blacks are on some form of welfare....just posted a stat. When you pressed me to explain why, I gave one possibility.

It is a systemic situation in the home where children grow up seeing their parents on welfare. they do not have the home support system to incent them to work hard in school, get an education, and thus a good paying job.

I would rather see money spent on programs to teach and help these kids than just another entitlement program.

Republicans have never cared about the systemic situation, though. Neither have Democrats, really.

To fix the problems that cause poverty and social inequality, you'd have to fix the problems that contribute to it. That is hard to accomplish with lip service. If politicians really cared, they'd lower their own salaries for starters.

I can't really blame people who work the system, as they are doing exactly what the upper class does to remain upper class.

I can. I have relatives who do it, and they disgust me.

Again, if you simply don't wish to answer the question, be honest about it. If someone is lazy, what are the chances they will be poor in America. If they work hard, what are the chances they will be poor?

As for capitalism necessitating an unemployment rate, you are now down to yanking that poo straight from your ass. Does anyone actually buy your brand of bullshit?

A couple of things- I frankly dont see the correlation between working hard and being rich or poor.

Obviously if you're talking about employed vs. unemployed people that makes sense, but I know far too many poor people who work their asses off at some crappy dead end job just to make ends meet. Education is a much bigger influence in your earnings than work ethic.

Also I'm pretty sure the working poor are included in the numbers brought up earlier in the thread, so I dont see how they apply to this argument.

Oh and capitalism will always have some frictional unemployment, though Im not sure exactly what you're talking about there

A couple of things- I frankly dont see the correlation between working hard and being rich or poor.

Obviously if you're talking about employed vs. unemployed people that makes sense, but I know far too many poor people who work their asses off at some crappy dead end job just to make ends meet. Education is a much bigger influence in your earnings than work ethic.

Also I'm pretty sure the working poor are included in the numbers brought up earlier in the thread, so I dont see how they apply to this argument.

Oh and capitalism will always have some frictional unemployment, though Im not sure exactly what you're talking about there

oh no you're buying my particular brand of bullshit :( :( :( :( :(

I said before that I don't know why 1 out of 3 blacks are on some form of welfare....just posted a stat. When you pressed me to explain why, I gave one possibility.

It is a systemic situation in the home where children grow up seeing their parents on welfare. they do not have the home support system to incent them to work hard in school, get an education, and thus a good paying job.

I would rather see money spent on programs to teach and help these kids than just another entitlement program.

you're so close

where you lose me is how you want money to be spent on programs "to teach and help these kids" but don't want what you call "entitlement programs"

are you proposing we do something like have night classes for poor kids to teach them how to manage money and value work or something because lol

you're so close

where you lose me is how you want money to be spent on programs "to teach and help these kids" but don't want what you call "entitlement programs"

are you proposing we do something like have night classes for poor kids to teach them how to manage money and value work or something because lol

I don't pretend to know the solution to this problem. But I do know that providing a lifetime paycheck for doing nothing is NOT the solution.

As long that that dynamic is there, you are not likely to take people from being ok to be supported by welfare to the need to get an education and become gainfully employed.

The parents if these youth are not getting the job done.

I am a 100% believer in personal accountability and self pride as the only solution. But, I realize that many do not have that support group.

I came from a family where my parents did not have college degrees. A family where my uncles/aunts/cousins ate what you would call white trash. Several are very hard working, but many are those who milk the system. So, you can say that my past could have very easily taken me to a different place. Even though my parents did not have college degrees, they desperately wanted that fir their kids. From that, they instilled a culture of working hard in school and that anything other than 100% effort there was totally unacceptable.

That worked for my sister and I but failed my three younger brothers.

One is a 30 year on and off drug addict who lives in a a 5th wheel trailer....one is in prison...and one is a 25 yo mooch living at home letting my mother (who us in social security) support him while he gets good stamps.

Thus, you can see why I don't always buy the argument that a prrson's family life and environment caused them to end up the way they did.

Unemployment is not a function of capitalism, but a function of people.

The point that has been refused to be acknowledged is not that the existence of hard working poor people do exist nor that lazy rich people don't exist. It is simply that persons that apply themselves are far less likely to be poor than lazy persons by default.

I've seen FAR too many immigrants come to this country with NOTHING but their work ethic and thrive when compared to American-born citizens. In the numerous conversations with them, there is no mistaking their disdain for the unemployed having seen first-hand the innumerable opportunities in the USA compared to where they came from.

Were they millionaires? A couple of them, but with a LOT of work.

Your arguments don't wash because of what we see on a daily basis. It's like saying that Asians are "overrepresented" in outstanding academic scores due to their station they were born to rather than the work they put in for their grades. There is no amount of posturing/semantics/etc that will unmake that simple truth.

Only in developed western societies can people actually claim that what we do qualifies as a strong work ethic as a national community is concerned.