Photo
- - - - -

If Fox goes 3-3 tonight, Is he still worse than Rivera?

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#76 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,824 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

Ahhh, revisionist history. You've gotta love it.

I remember many games of the type you describe. And he had the full support of management for many years, which is why he was one of the highest paid coaches in the league in the last half of his run here.

And as to game day management, do you not remember the Arizona playoff game when Fox refused to adjust coverages?

John is a good defensive coach and a middle of the road kind of guy. Rivera may have underperformed, but that's no reason to put Fox on a pedestal.

i don't get this "fox always had his teams ready to play" and "he was a great decision maker" stuff either. we lost several games due to stupid playcalling and lack of adjustments, especially in his last few years here.

the 2008 playoff game against the cardinals and 2009 opener against the eagles are case studies in this. somebody on the cardinals offense (one of the WRs-either fitz or breaston) said after the game that they had our defense figured out after a series or two and they knew we weren't going to try to disguise coverages or even adjust. then in the 2009 opener we had no answer whatsoever for philadelphia's blitz or special teams and they just murdered us all day in both areas. you could see the same kind of thing starting to happen as far back as 2006 and 2007 as well.

fox is great at turning a team around fast but in terms of sustained success and getting players to buy into his philosophy long term it's a mixed bag. he needs a very specific kind of team with very specific personalities on field to win.

#77 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:22 AM

And for the record, excuse the sb season. Jon fox's greatest achievements were our most embarrassing moments as a franchise. NFC championship against cards and seahawks are the biggest stains on this franchises record. never been that embarrassed or disappointed after a game. and it happened twice. Rivera has his work cut out for himself. But never have I felt that hopeless under his leadership. The main difference is that fox hates young players and thats really all we have.

#78 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

i don't get this "fox always had his teams ready to play" and "he was a great decision maker" stuff either. we lost several games due to stupid playcalling and lack of adjustments, especially in his last few years here.

the 2008 playoff game against the cardinals and 2009 opener against the eagles are case studies in this. somebody on the cardinals offense (one of the WRs-either fitz or breaston) said after the game that they had our defense figured out after a series or two and they knew we weren't going to try to disguise coverages or even adjust. then in the 2009 opener we had no answer whatsoever for philadelphia's blitz or special teams and they just murdered us all day in both areas. you could see the same kind of thing starting to happen as far back as 2006 and 2007 as well.

fox is great at turning a team around fast but in terms of sustained success and getting players to buy into his philosophy long term it's a mixed bag. he needs a very specific kind of team with very specific personalities on field to win.

yeah, like a kicker who out scores most qbs

#79 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• HUDDLER
  • 9,824 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

we saw what happened when fox was forced to play a young quarterback in 2010. what we're doing now at the quarterback position is oil and water with his coaching philosophy and we'd either be tanking again or starting derek anderson.

#80 Way Truth Life

Way Truth Life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

Granted I was glad Foxy left, but my point is did we give up Fox to go to a worse HC? Who's to blame if we did? JR is to blame. Your thoughts please.

Fox is one of the best coaches in the NFL. Hurney and Richardson are the problem and they hired (Rivera)a coach nobody would hire because he was cheap and easy to manipulate.

#81 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

Fox is one of the best coaches in the NFL. Hurney and Richardson are the problem and they hired (Rivera)a coach nobody would hire because he was cheap and easy to manipulate.

Sadly I think that is pretty much 100% truth.

#82 X-Clown

X-Clown

Positive Polly

• HUDDLER
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

For perspective on fox in his later years, after our early season blowout loss against the eagles in 09', Sean McDermott (you know, that defensive coordinator here that most of us hate) looked like a genius.

#83 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• HUDDLER
  • 9,824 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

For perspective on fox in his later years, after our early season blowout loss against the eagles in 09', Sean McDermott (you know, that defensive coordinator here that most of us hate) looked like a genius.

no bro fox is one of the best coaches in the NFL.

hurney and richardson were on the sidelines telling him to call five and seven stop drops for jake when the eagles were sending the house.

#84 carolinapf

carolinapf

The Judge

• HUDDLER
  • 3,333 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

Can't say if we would have a better record under Fox, but at least we would not be doing so much "option" crap, Foxy was a run 'em up the gut kinda coach. I just think the play calling would be better under Fox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com