• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 UNCrules2187

UNCrules2187

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

http://www.footballo...rs.com/stats/ol

Just confirming what we've all thought so far - the offensive line has been seriously underperforming relative to analysts'/experts' opinions on their quality:

28th in run blocking
27th in pass blocking (based on adjusted sack rate)

Ranked 11th in runs to the left side (generally considered the stronger side) of the line, but 27th and 25th on runs in the middle and to the right side, respectively.

Last in the league with 84 total carries by RBs over 5 games. 16.8 total carriers per game by RBs when we have committed roughly $50 million in guaranteed money to three RBs. I realize that J-Stew was out for a few of these games, but still. Also, only one game was a blowout (NYG), so it's not like we had to go away from the run.

Pathetic.

#2 NeedSumD

NeedSumD

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

http://www.footballo...rs.com/stats/ol

Just confirming what we've all thought so far - the offensive line has been seriously underperforming relative to analysts'/experts' opinions on their quality:

28th in run blocking
27th in pass blocking (based on adjusted sack rate)

Ranked 11th in runs to the left side (generally considered the stronger side) of the line, but 27th and 25th on runs in the middle and to the right side, respectively.

Last in the league with 84 total carries by RBs over 5 games. 16.8 total carriers per game by RBs when we have committed roughly $50 million in guaranteed money to three RBs. I realize that J-Stew was out for a few of these games, but still. Also, only one game was a blowout (NYG), so it's not like we had to go away from the run.

Pathetic.

Better than i thought they would be ranked. I was expecting 32nd across the board.

#3 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,408 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

we obviously need to sign more running backs

#4 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,390 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:38 PM

part of it is cam holding on to the ball so long and that isn't necessarily his fault.

he's had to wait to let things develop and when you have to wait like that, you get people in your backfield.

teams know what's coming and they've been doing a lot of scheming to prevent it...but we still keep on acting like it's successful.

shut down smith and cut off the deep ball and then key in on cam. you know he's going to wait until the last second to hand off the ball and even in that rare moment he lets the RB keep the ball they'll still all be bunched together so you should be able to get either one.

oline has been subar, but the game planning and play calling have made things worse than they should be and cam trying too hard to carry the team on his own has made him easier to shut down. none of this will help an oline, esp. one that isn't doing well anyway and usually takes several weeks to gel.

#5 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

• HUDDLER
  • 9,033 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:40 PM

Step away from the homerness, rayzor.

#6 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,723 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

rayzor is right. those stats are skewed by seven step drops, and shorter drops with three and four second routes. more quick outs and slants will change it immensely.

hopefully chud will realize that kalil being out makes the situation even more dire and will adjust accordingly.

#7 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,390 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

Step away from the homerness, rayzor.

??? i said that everyone is to blame for it.

how is that homerism?

meh...

i swear you spend too much time riding my jock. you're starting to chafe.

#8 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

We will wait til were eliminated from playoff contention before we start running the ball. Guys are gonna get their #s in meaningless games to make it look respectable. We need to upgrade our O line.

#9 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,390 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

We will wait til were eliminated from playoff contention before we start running the ball. Guys are gonna get their #s in meaningless games to make it look respectable. We need to upgrade our O line.

LT and RG are the big ones.

i swear, tho, it always takes several weeks for the oline to gel and i've never understood why that is. it's not like we have been devoid of talent there. half way through the season things seem to pick up and the running game kicks in high gear and my response is always the same...what in the world took you guys so long? by the time things start happening, it's too late.

#10 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

LT and RG are the big ones.

i swear, tho, it always takes several weeks for the oline to gel and i've never understood why that is. it's not like we have been devoid of talent there. half way through the season things seem to pick up and the running game kicks in high gear and my response is always the same...what in the world took you guys so long? by the time things start happening, it's too late.

Our whole damn team loves to do that. We're "kick ass late in the season after you lost so many you're out of it early on" royalty at this point.

It's so damn confusing.

#11 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,472 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

Wow, and that's with Kalil starting.......

#12 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

I can still hold out hope that losing Kalil shocks them into calling normal plays, right? Someone tell me I can still pretend that will happen.

*crawls into a corner and rocks back and forth*

It'll all be ok....

#13 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,561 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

We aren't who we thought we were

#14 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,757 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

fug life

#15 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

Kalil's had some rough outings himself this year. Some of that may be from being preoccupied with the blocking assignments of the guards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com