53 replies to this topic

#31 ncmonzta

ncmonzta

CBA=Offer U Can't Refuse

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

Tell me your heart didn't stop beating for a few seconds during that pause.

I was kind of scared for the interviewer. I think I was scared for myself aswell.

#32 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,734 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

I thought the opposite. Voters, fans, etc. know the stories about the fights with teammates. The video shows his remorse and reasons behind them. Granted, they're still mistakes, but he opened up about it. I never knew the cancer scare about his wife for example.

Overall, awesome stuff. I <3 89.

He punched 3 teammates. He can't control his emotions....heck, look at the Seahawk game and tell me a guy who completely ignores the offensive play to go after a DB isn't looking for trouble. Smiths's actions on the field vs words off the field never matchup.

Great WR from a skill standpoint. In his prime I would take him over most. But you get baggage and problems with Smith and that will never change

#33 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,221 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

Smith has made mistakes like everyone else but he's by far one the best WR in the NFL and without question, the best WR in Panther history...

#34 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,425 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

just very weird all around

#35 TruthVsComfort

TruthVsComfort

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

Probably the best player in Panther History.

#36 Way Truth Life

Way Truth Life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

Only Jersey I've ever worn or will ever wear. Period.

#37 Way Truth Life

Way Truth Life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

He punched 3 teammates. He can't control his emotions....heck, look at the Seahawk game and tell me a guy who completely ignores the offensive play to go after a DB isn't looking for trouble. Smiths's actions on the field vs words off the field never matchup.

Great WR from a skill standpoint. In his prime I would take him over most. But you get baggage and problems with Smith and that will never change

Football is the most violent game we have today. DBs want to knock Steve Smith out. He is a warrior and as he said in his interview, he isn't going to ever get a black eye again. I'd say he is playing the right game and in the perfect position. Not one DB in the league will disrespect Steve Smith more than once. He lives by the old school standards of respect. You do not disrespect him without being dealt with. This was the way it was back before everyone got so in touch with their feelings and started making excuses for their anger.

Should he have hit those three teammates? No. Did he pay the consequences and grow from it. Obviously he did. Do I want him getting personal fouls against opposing DBs for plays away from the ball? Absolutely, because the next 10 plays he makes after that are so intense and driven, that he can literally take over the game. He is the most inspiring WR other than Jerry Rice (because of his work ethics) that I have ever witnessed and I'd take him over EVERY WR in the league. Homerism or not....He is pound for pound the best in the league.

#38 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,976 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:13 PM

Great interview... confirmed what I already knew about Smitty... great man with an anger management problem. He genuinely tries to deal with it, but it's not easy. My temper gets the best of me sometimes... it's like a ball of fire that just explodes. It's not easy to deal with. I have a ton of respect for him despite his failings.

If Smitty could bottle some of that fire and drive he has and give it to the rest of the team, we would never lose.

#39 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

Great video. Sometimes it's easy for us as fans to place higher expectations on athletes, which is unfair. Yes they are millionaires/famous, but they are flawed individuals just as we all are. Only their mishaps are broadcast for the world to see, while ours are local to our family and friends, and sometimes not even to them. Steve obviously has anger issues but at least he attempts to change.

#40 Captroop

Captroop

Pronounced, "Cat Poop"

• HUDDLER
  • 4,779 posts
  • LocationNot Telling... CatofWar might find me.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

Crappy video:
  • So glad they spend a fuggin minute and a half showing every second the pregnant pauses. I really, really hate when journalists do that. The only situation where it's acceptable in my book is when 1) you ask a politician a question and absolutely stump them, or 2) you're interviewing an alleged criminal and catch him in a lie. It's like when they asked Clint Eastwood on 60 minutes about how he has like 17 kids with different mothers and then showed the pregnant pause after. I know exactly what that pause was in the Eastwood interview, and I know what it meant in the Smith video. It means, "I'm not on fuggin trial here. This is supposed to be a fluff bio piece, how about you ask me about my playing career, or about our struggles this season, or something relevant." Instead he ambushed him with questions about fights that took place between 4 and 11 years ago, then left his silent reaction to paint him as I-don't-know-what? A maniacal psychopath? What was the point of it at all? I'd have rather had a minute of a half of something that was, you know...something. Thanks for squandering the only facetime Smith will get this year, and probably the rest of his career.
  • Nice fact-checking, dumb-ass, the game winning touchdown in St. Louis was in DOUBLE OVERTIME.
  • Serious facepalm when the female reporter piped in. I mean, I try so hard to not be sexist, especially because I knew so many female sports journalists in journalism school who really, really knew their shiz. But female sports reporters just make me roll my eyes.

Love Steve Smith. There will never be another like him, on the Panthers or otherwise. My love of NFL football will take a small but noticable dip when Smitty is no longer in it.

#41 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

Someday you may come to bleed through strife and hard work or otherwise only to have some ungrateful person spit in your face and belittle you . . possibly in front of your peers. . . if you do, you may understand a thousandth of what Smith was going through.

You cant change what you were born with, you play the hand youre dealt. For 89, that includes an explosive temper that was grown over decades of ridicule . . .and yet he keeps still proving idiots like you wrong.

Ever the boss, ever the servant. . thank you 89, for everything you do and every emotion you inspire.

#42 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

I found it odd that his Mom didn't know where his anger comes from, because It's obvious that his upbringing has a lot to do with it.

#43 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,438 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

I've been disappointed some with Steve this season, but he is still one of the all time greats.

Some of you are upset about the heavy coverage of the fights he's had, but it is highly relevant in his career. That pause speaks volumes, he clearly has his regrets. I haven't met Steve unfortunately, though I can tell the type of man he is by his passion for the game and most importantly his family.

It is a damn shame these last years with Smitty are being wasted by inept coaching and management.

#44 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

He's not having a good year so far, but #89 is still the greatest Panther of all time. Nobody's given more to our franchise on the field of play than him. Stevonne L. Smith. Thats our guy. He's the one player from 2001-2011 you knew every Sunday he was gonna bring it. You knew he was gonna show up for work, you knew he was gonna make a play,. And you knew when he got in the end zone you were gonna see something special that would get you geeked up about Panther football. All of our biggest moments in our short history, he was right there. I still say erect a bronze statue of Smitty on Graham. Let our kids generations from now see it, touch it, take pictures in front of it and understand how this young man defined a pivotal decade in our history.

Even when he's done here, I'll still continue to rock his jerseys proudly, I still got his plaques up on the wall. He's one of my favorite athletes, up there with LeBron, Bonds, Jordan and them.

#45 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,104 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

I know people are going to not like this but fug it.

Steve Smith is right up there with Sam Mills for who he is and what he means to this team. I'm with KT on this, put a statue up to him the moment he decides he is done with the game.

For me when he reeled in that pass from Matt Moore in the Meadowlands in 09 and took the shot that broke his arm and STILL held on to the ball and got it across the line...
That sums up him passion and drive and toughness all in one moment.

The man won my heart and respect many years ago when I got a chance to spend some time with him at a charity event and Ive been one of his biggest fans ever since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com