17 replies to this topic

#1 car5nc

car5nc

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

Pro Football Focus@PFF
Chris Gamble leads all cornerbacks in yards allowed per snap in coverage at just 0.45. Prince Amukamara (0.48) 2nd & Champ Bailey (0.67) 3rd

#2 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

What's our pass defense ranked?

#3 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

Pro Football Focus@PFF
Chris Gamble leads all cornerbacks in yards allowed per snap in coverage at just 0.45. Prince Amukamara (0.48) 2nd & Champ Bailey (0.67) 3rd

Gamble has been quietly doing pretty well in coverage for a while (except for that year where he just forgot to give a poo near the end). But like any stat there's context here that needs to be kept in mind. Gamble is our best corner but the rabble across from him has been so bad that teams just haven't needed to throw at him.

So yes he is better than we give him credit for, by a large margin, but he's also not as good as that stat indicates. IMO at least.

#4 Nicks To The Colts

Nicks To The Colts

shitpost around the clock

• HUDDLER
  • 9,357 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

there's also a rookie across the field from him to pick on

edit: already covered

#5 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,109 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:58 AM

Bottom Line: Panthers failed to address another critical need / free agency CB / miss opportunity yet again for elusive winning season. (Instead spend limited funds like drunken sailors on RBs that are seldom used.)

#6 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,912 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

Gamble's numbers also get a bump bc it isn't that they are scared to throw at him....it is just so tempting to throw at others

#7 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

there's also a rookie across the field from him to pick on

edit: already covered

I think Norman is still learning and this will just help him. And he hasnt been to bad to me. Hasnt given up a touchdown yet.

#8 Zithers

Zithers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

he's a top 15 corner for sure.

don't care about who is opposite him. he's been lights out since last season started.

#9 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:09 AM

And last year it was because Captain munnerlyn was across from him. How many years any row am i gonna have to here that its becuz whoever is playin on the other side from him is that bad? Gamble is just that good to me.

#10 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• HUDDLER
  • 6,516 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

I'd like to see that stat stacked up against his yards allowed on balls thrown his direction. That would paint a more complete picture IMO.

#11 ShutDwn

ShutDwn

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

As everyone has mentioned, the opposite corners are a big reason QBs look elsewhere to throw.

If we had better corners then Gamble would see more action and get beat more but he'd also get more chances to make interceptions.

Gamble is definitely a great piece to have for this defense.

#12 Nicks To The Colts

Nicks To The Colts

shitpost around the clock

• HUDDLER
  • 9,357 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

And last year it was because Captain munnerlyn was across from him. How many years any row am i gonna have to here that its becuz whoever is playin on the other side from him is that bad? Gamble is just that good to me.

i don't think anybody is arguing that gamble is a bad corner. i'm certainly not and i'm the first to throw that PFF article from last year showing how badly quarterbacks fared when throwing at gamble in the face of opposing fans who step out of line.

he shuts down his side of the field, no question. people who actually follow the NFL know that he's the best kept secret around. it sucks that there's kind of a drop off from there but norman has the right attitude and he's growing fast.

#13 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,673 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

Norman is a beast for a rookie. If he had some help overtop he would have multiple INTs

#14 cbully

cbully

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

What's our pass defense ranked?

near 20!

#15 Who Said What?

Who Said What?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationEverybody knows Carolina's my home

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

Norman has been playing the scheme. He was told to play off in the Giants game and they threw underneath him all game. He looked very good against Vjax and Julio. I heard nothing out of Rice and Golden Tate caught his passes on Munnerlyn. Out of the two CBs we started that game, Russell Wilson chose to pick on Munnerlyn. I still don't see why people say Norman is garbage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.