I believe Bell is better suited to play guard anyway, not that i know anything

#17 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

May want to keep a fimilar presence on Hangmans right side.

#18 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,547 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

Personally, I believe Bell should stay at RT. I just don't think he is quick enough for guard. Although, with his size he should be better at pass protection than what Williams was..

Williams was pretty sad at guard. Why would you move him to tackle? And has Campbell even had enough reps at tackle to do the job? I would rather see Campbell at RT, but that could be just me.

Makes me wonder if there is even a plan in there somewhere? Or is it more experimenting for experimentings sake?

I know losing Kalil was a blow. But Bell had done well at RT. Leave him there. Unless they feel Campbell can do the job at RT.

Ah hell, nevermind.

All I know is that I am confused. Nothing new there to be honest.

#19 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,927 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

Honestly I think Bell could make a good RG. I'm not comfortable with Williams at RT though.

#20 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,879 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

You know a coaching staff is desperate when they start damaging strengths to accommodate weaknesses.

Hangartner was garbage last season. Should have been replaced using this mythical ritual that I've heard some other teams participate in known as FREE AGENCY DUM DUM DUUUMMMM...

#21 TruCatzFan

TruCatzFan

Phil 4:13

• HUDDLER
  • 6,470 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

***BREAKING NEWS***

Panthers make adjustments due to perennial Pro Bowl Center's season ending injury

#22 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

Could be that pressure up the middle is more disruptive to what they want to do than pressure off the RT so they're putting Garry where he can do less damage? Maybe also putting the better lineman there to help prop up a weaker center?

I could be way off base, who knows.

#23 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,908 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

Guard and tackle skill sets are different A guy who isn't as effective inside might be better outside (and vice versa)

#24 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

Guard and tackle skill sets are different A guy who isn't as effective inside might be better outside (and vice versa)

I have this idea that Bell will might make a better (if not just as good) guard than tackle. Not that I'm a super awesome football talent analyst or anything.

If we're lucky the idea the move will help Garry a little because he was certainly not getting the job done at guard.

#25 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

Garry was awful at guard against Seattle, but decent at RT against the giants....maybe he won't be that bad but I still wanna see what Bruce can do at tackle...looked solid in training camp and preseason

#26 MattB

MattB

Project QB

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

Coaching staff has done a really good job with Bell. How many undrafted guys can come in and be productive as him? Hurney needs to keep investing in the line though. Finding a successor to Gross will be crucial.

#27 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

It'll be nice if Bell can play G just as good going forward. Wharton was very underrated for his versatility, it'd be nice to have a replacement. Depth at T is a serious concern though.

#28 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

I don't think we'll ever see Williams at RG again. He was so bad at pass blocking in the Seahawks game that he was benched. On the play before he was pulled out of the game, he was given a light shove and flew backwards like 5 feet and nearly fell down. I dropped the remote and thought Cam was going to get killed. RR pulled him out right away and put in Jeff Byers and RG, and he looked much better.

Oddly enough he didn't look all that bad at RT back in 2010. I was looking at him blocking at RT in the SF game that we won in 2010 and he didn't look bad, then again SF was terrible that year.

#29 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

I've been looking at some video of Williams and I think I see why he's ok at RT, but terrible at OG. He moves really well laterally and has some quickness, but he lacks power and has to give up a lot of ground. Lateral movement is more important at the OT postion because you're more out in space and often opposing DE's will try to use speed, and you can get away with less strength, but at OG power becomes more important. It's tough to get around Williams, but easier to bull rush him if the DE has the strength.

#30 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,908 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

On the topic of OL, no offense to John Matsko, but I'd love to see former Eagles DC Juan Castillo brought aboard as a consultant or some such.

He may have been a poor fit at DC but I recall him being a pretty good OL coach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com