Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Greg Olson overated by Panther fans?

67 posts in this topic

Posted

olsen has to be just as much a factor as smitty, imo.

when cam focuses too much on smith things aren't going to work. if he can target both smith and olsen things will go a lot better.

In addition to this I kinda feel like, in a situation like Seattle where he's getting beat to death on every down and is regressing mechanically, his "oh poo" read should be Olsen and not Smitty. Smitty is still a hell of a receiver but Olsen is reliable and big. A lot of those weird throws Cam makes when he's about to get crushed are infinitely more catchable by a receiving TE like Olsen.

Coaches need to try to instill this in him while they adjust their own gameplan to include Olsen more regularly (lafell too, for what it's worth. He made a pretty nice grab near the end of the Seattle game on a ball I thought was going over his head. Dude can catch)

1 person likes this

Posted

Olsen is very reasonably priced, so there's really no room for complaint there. For now that is. His contract is seriously backloaded, so starting next year he needs to start performing like a top 5 TE.

There's just no end to Hurney Magic.

Posted

Olsen is very reasonably priced, so there's really no room for complaint there. For now that is. His contract is seriously backloaded, so starting next year he needs to start performing like a top 5 TE.

There's just no end to Hurney Magic.

If our coaches were even making a half-assed attempt to use him in every game instead of randomly when they wake up on the right side of the bed he would be having a hell of a year right now.

Posted

Hard to get 1000 yards when your QB has the aim-assist locked onto someone else.

Posted

I agree with some here. Olsen was open a lot in the Seattle game, just didn't get the ball thrown to him.

Also, if Panther fans are overating him, they aren't the only ones.

Posted

I would actually say Olsen is the second best receiving threat on thus team behind only Steve Smith.

Posted

I would actually say Olsen is the second best receiving threat on thus team behind only Steve Smith.

I don't even think that's debatable. He flat is.

Posted

Who the hell is Greg Olson?

Posted

I'm not sure but I heard he plays poker with Stanley McGlover and Tommy Jone. :startle:

Posted

Really isn't an argument since receivers aren't our strong suit. The question is, is that a good thing.

Posted

293 yards so far. he was pushing 250 after 4 games. had he been included in the saints and seahawks game plan he'd be well over 400, maybe 450 yards.

not his fault that cam/game plan ignored him, esp against the seahawks. he was open.

1000 yards is still very much in reach. 10 games left. he can get at least 800.

not over-rated. under-utilized. he's one of the most reliable receivers cam has...from looking at smitty recently, olsen may be the most reliable just because he hasn't made the boneheaded mistakes smith has.

I think he is the best offensive player on the team this year, but without big changes he's not going to make 1,000. It's not his fault, I just don't see it happening.

Posted

That's what Cam said during the 'Hawks game.