#46 SuperMan

SuperMan

I'm always holding back.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

My wife and I had to go through assitance when we found out we were having an unplanned baby. She was still in college not working. I was working but didn't have health insurance. Needed help getting our feet back under us. We weren't prepared financially for the hospital bills we were about to have and caring for financially a baby. We worked and got our self back in position to not be a burden to everyone else. Haven't been on it for a while and were only on it for a short time period.

One thing we hated to see though was people with brand new luxury cars in the parking lot of the office. Top of the line cell phones. Expensive jewelry and clothing on. Have toddlers with them wearing expensive clothing and shoes. Peope living a entitled life waiting in line with us while we were living off a budget, working our ass of to be out the situation.

Won't go back to it either. Absolutely hate knowing at one point in my life I had to ask for help.

Situations like this is the reason the system should exist, people that do not work hard and mooch the system are the reason the system is failing.

#47 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,087 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

While we're antagonizing Madhatter for a little bit, let me just say that it looks like I won't be paying federal taxes this year for the first time since joining the work force.

Thanks for paying my way, MH.

Nothing personal against you Jase. But a structure where anyone pays no federal taxes is fuged up in my opinion. Everyone should pay something.

#48 SuperMan

SuperMan

I'm always holding back.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

Your second paragraph is what's wrong with America. When did it become acceptable in America to work really hard to get ahead, but then once you do you are demonized? Someone is always going to have more than you, and whether they worked for it, or inherited it, it's their money. I hope to one day have that sports car, and expensive clothes. And if someone ever told me I should be ashamed for having nice things, I'd smack 'em upside the head.

I think you missed the part were he said they were standing in a welfare line, collecting government services.

#49 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,087 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:58 AM

My wife and I had to go through assitance when we found out we were having an unplanned baby. She was still in college not working. I was working but didn't have health insurance. Needed help getting our feet back under us. We weren't prepared financially for the hospital bills we were about to have and caring for financially a baby. We worked and got our self back in position to not be a burden to everyone else. Haven't been on it for a while and were only on it for a short time period.

One thing we hated to see though was people with brand new luxury cars in the parking lot of the office. Top of the line cell phones. Expensive jewelry and clothing on. Have toddlers with them wearing expensive clothing and shoes. Peope living a entitled life waiting in line with us while we were living off a budget, working our ass of to be out the situation.

Won't go back to it either. Absolutely hate knowing at one point in my life I had to ask for help.

Panther17, you are the exact reason for these programs. They were designed to help people who were struggling until they got back on their feet. However, they have morphed into programs if complete and generational support for millions and millions if people.

You should never be ashamed that you needed help. You should be applauded and commended for working hard and getting yourself back on your feet.

The only ones that should be ashamed are those willing to take that paycheck for doing nothing without any desire or work ethic to change their situation.

#50 boostownsme

boostownsme

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

I think you missed the part were he said they were standing in a welfare line, collecting government services.

I did miss that, my apologies. And thats another thing that I see happen on a daily basis. Someone swiping their EBT card while texting on an Iphone. Welfare was never meant to be a way of life.

#51 SuperMan

SuperMan

I'm always holding back.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

I did miss that, my apologies. And thats another thing that I see happen on a daily basis. Someone swiping their EBT card while texting on an Iphone. Welfare was never meant to be a way of life.

It was meant to be a crutch somthing to assist you in a time of need.

It was NOT meant to be a all expenses paid pass to not work.

#52 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

I honestly wonder how many less people would be on welfare if they had to physically go stand in line to receive benefits.

Everything is pretty much done electronically or via mail these days, so it is really easy and no hassle to recipients.

#53 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,087 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

I honestly wonder how many less people would be on welfare if they had to physically go stand in line to receive benefits.

Everything is pretty much done electronically or via mail these days, so it is really easy and no hassle to recipients.

Exactly.....make them do anything for the check.

Make them go sit in BOA stadium for 8 hrs a day with no cell phones or computers.

I bet the numbers would drop dramatically.

#54 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,264 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

I wonder how much more money the wealthy in this country fleece from us than a woman hoarding govt issued cell phones.

#55 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 13,998 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

I wonder how much more money the wealthy in this country fleece from us than a woman hoarding govt issued cell phones.

fleece? you must mean "create."

#56 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 31,485 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

I guess it would depend on your definition of "fleece." Is someone who takes advantage of tax laws containing loopholes "fleecing" us? In a round about sense, I guess you could look at it that way, but in reality isn't it the politicians that passed those laws the ones doing the fleecing?

On the other hand, it's flat out wrong to take (in the context of your post) multiple phones from a program that provides low income people with free phones... that, in technical terms, is called fraud.

So both could be seen as unethical, but which is worse? Depends on your point of view apparently...

#57 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,264 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

Here is the problem...want to crack down on people?

"Ostensibly, the federal tax code requires corporations to pay 35 percent of their profits in
income taxes. And in fact, some of the 280 corporations in our study did pay close to the
35 percent official tax rate. But the vast majority paid considerably less. And some paid
nothing at all. Over the three years covered by our study, the average effective tax rate for all 280
companies was only 18.5 percent. For the past two years, 2009 and 2010, the effective tax rate
for all 280 companies averaged only 17.3 percent, less than half of the statutory 35 percent rate."

Posted Image

#58 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,264 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

I guess it would depend on your definition of "fleece." Is someone who takes advantage of tax laws containing loopholes "fleecing" us? In a round about sense, I guess you could look at it that way, but in reality isn't it the politicians that passed those laws the ones doing the fleecing?

On the other hand, it's flat out wrong to take (in the context of your post) multiple phones from a program that provides low income people with free phones... that, in technical terms, is called fraud.

So both could be seen as unethical, but which is worse? Depends on your point of view apparently...

Both take advantage of the law as its written....which is more damaging? This could be where we differ...

#59 SuperMan

SuperMan

I'm always holding back.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

I despise the concept of a variable interest tax rate.

If we want truely fair make everyone pay the same damn rate and emiminate the loopholes.

#60 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,264 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

I despise the concept of a variable interest tax rate.

If we want truely fair make everyone pay the same damn rate and emiminate the loopholes.

Paying the same rate is still not fair....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.