Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ncbobcat

Panthers drafted no significant contributors

101 posts in this topic

They told me the winning lotto numbers were 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42

If added together they equal the most over-rated, convoluted show ever.

My .02 on our draft strategy:

While we didn't have any emergency needs, when Brown dropped into the forties, Meeks went into hyperdrive to convince Hurney/Fox that he could turn him into the next Mathis/Freeny. With the Peppers situation it made perfect sense to attempt to find a trading partner. However, WHY didn't we use our 2nd/3rd to trade up (almost an exact draft chart match). Instead "Whimpy" (I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today) Hurney decided to trade our next year's #1 pick again. My guess is that they had already identified Martin as their HAD TO HAVE pick. We now have 3 of the top 5 TEs in our division and we are going to have to have someone who is big and fast to run with them down the middle of the field. Between Beason, Godfrey and now Martin, we will be in pretty good shape. Additionally, With our cap pressure we can't be assured of being able to sign Robertson etc. for out DT rotation, so they probably felt they had to save their 3rd for this purpose. Irvin certainly wasn't the BPA, but hopefully he's good enough to give us help keep the starters fresh.

According to this article by Sportsline, the Panthers drafted no signifcant immediate impact players from rounds 2-7.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/11768588

The article focused on rookie starters, not "significant impact players", and proceeded to project rookie starters. This is an important distinction, but overall I'll have to agree with the "status quo" here that wonders how draft picks can be evaluated before training camp and final cuts are made. The article is just an off season filler piece on the draft, IMO, that uses hindsight to sound authoritative. As far as worrying about the choices made in the draft and proposing something different, that's fine, but the front office has made their selections under the gun and I'm content to hope for the best with their decisions.

Having said that, the amount of returning starters on this team is a significant stat.

There are two ways to look at this:

1) The team is aging and there will be a decline in performance in the coming years.

2) The team is maturing and their potential has not been reached yet.

I agree wholeheartedly with option 2. We have some older players who don't have much time left, but there are some hungry youngsters who could be anchors of this team for years to come. Looking back on last year, the critics bashed our trade up for Otah, and Stewart could have started for more than a handful of teams last year. (Denver went through at least 8 RB's last year)

Returning 21 of 22 starters shouldn't mean that we need to draft kids to compete for starting positions when the team hasn't reached it's potential yet. (We had zero first round picks) I'm excited to see what can happen with new coaching and an exciting 2nd round draft pick that has impact potential. Brown was a great gamble, and all draft picks are gambles.

i know everyone is freaked out about trading our first next year, but I think it makes sense.

the draft is so talent intense that they'll easily find 09 first round talent in the 2010 later rounds.

all draft picks are gambles

^ This.

i know everyone is freaked out about trading our first next year, but I think it makes sense.

the draft is so talent intense that they'll easily find 09 first round talent in the 2010 later rounds.

Remember the 1983 draft? Miami picked Marino with the 27th pick and Washington picked Darell Green with the 28th. My point there isn't about what you miss trading the first round pick, but what gets passed by in a draft. Granted, Elway was #1 that year, but most 1st rounders were busts compared to Green and Marino. The draft is a gamble and the pressure is on the rebuilding teams to pick a franchise player while the contenders just have to pick up solid players, not rookie starters.

Do you really want me to go back and look at the 14 players? I bet only a few were starters. Before I do, you may want to back down.

Remember, the Pats had Troy Brown, their WR play corner because they lost their top 5-6 DBs. I know it was a playoff year and it may have been the year they beat us in 2003 for the Championship.

Again, what ever makes you sleep better.

Yeah, it was a great example because they were only the SECOND 11-5 team in NFL history to miss the playoffs, there, Einstein.

Did they miss the playoffs sherlock??? Doesn't matter if it is by one game or 5. Didn't know almost counted in football. This isn't horseshoes. We missed the playoffs by one game in 2004. Doesn't matter what the record was it was still a fail.

As for the 14 players it was 5 years ago and they don't keep info for that but I remember:

Steve Smith pro bowl receiver

Stephen Davis pro bowl running back

Deshaun Foster second running back

Rod Smart third running back

Brad Hoover fourth running back

Kris Jenkins all pro DT

Travelle Wharton

Jessie Armstead (5 time probowler linebacker)

Shane Burton defensive tackle

Kavika Pittman

Drew Carter

and 3 others.

Funny you didn't remember any of these guys. I guess you weren't a Panther fan back then. When did you hop on the bandwagon. Maybe you should go back to the Patriots since they are such winners.

I think that the first round picks are significant contributors, especially 1-10. These players come in and grab huge bucks and contribute to teams not being able to get vets in FA because they don't have the cap room. Once they get to the NFL, all players have to adjust to the speed of the game at the pro level. In 3 years, I think we'll know if we got a contributor in our draft. Until then, it's all a bunch of BS.

I'm awesome, what can I say? Everybody loves me. I just gave 55 a single rep and he went from 3 to 29, I've got the power! Bring on the trolls, I'll blast them with neg rep and make them explode in their chairs...

...crap... :lol:

May we all tremble under your mighty rep hand!

I'm awesome, what can I say? Everybody loves me. I just gave 55 a single rep and he went from 3 to 29, I've got the power! Bring on the trolls, I'll blast them with neg rep and make them explode in their chairs...:lol:

What females do you like? And I'll make sure to post a lot of Pictures.