13 replies to this topic

#1 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,683 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

Wanted to go somewhere to celebrate a recent victory, so here is the good news.

I'm a 3-time transfer student at my FINAL school (I swear!), and I changed majors a week ago from Physical Education to Criminal Justice. Being a cop was the childhood dream, and between transferring and my bitch of an ex making me second-guess teaching (she is a teacher, so it leaves a bad taste in my mouth thinking about it; plus, the way the education field is going, finding a PE job is going to be way too hard), I just lost interest in teaching. It started as a passion, and I decided "screw it, it might put me another year behind getting this other degree, but so be it". I went to see my academic adviser today, and he pretty much gave me free reign to fill out my schedule on my own, giving me a small list of must-have courses for next semester (3, to be exact). I am taking 15 hours next semester, and my first two criminal justice courses are involved in that.

Now, the good news about all of this. I submitted an audit to see how many more hours I have, as of this minute. 48. That's 3 hard semesters, hours wise. However, take out that 15 for next semester, I'm down to 33. That's one hard semester and one fairly easy semester. I'm quite possibly/most likely graduating a year from next semester. This makes me more excited than I can express. I've been through a HELL of a lot the past 5 years, and to see the end so near (finally), it's seriously a sigh of relief.

Here's to my stick-to-itiveness. Any suggestions on what counties I should shoot for for police work? I've lived in Pender, Duplin, Cumberland, Marion, New Hanover, Cleveland (currently live there), and Gaston, and I know the surrounding counties fairly well for each. Any that I should look into?

#2 Guest_Super_Freak_*

Guest_Super_Freak_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

Stay the hell out of York Co SC. God knows we have enough cops snooping around.

Good luck btw

#3 LifeisaGarden

LifeisaGarden

Bitchassness

• HUDDLER
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

Mayberry

#4 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,567 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

cabarrus and rowan have too many cops on every corning. Can't stand cops. Always pulling me over for no reason and saying I've been drinking when I haven't. They just never leave you alone here

#5 TruCatzFan

TruCatzFan

Phil 4:13

• HUDDLER
  • 6,470 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:58 PM

Finally get tired of being picked on??? Now you're deciding to become a cop??

Where have I heard this story before...

#6 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,550 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:56 AM

Why cop? Go get ur accounting degree and shoot for FBI or ATF.

#7 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,683 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

Why cop? Go get ur accounting degree and shoot for FBI or ATF.

Honestly, because I am so sick of school that it's not funny. Plus, I don't know how much more I have until I hit my limit on Stafford Loans. I'd be OK with maxing out at detective at some point, if I so choose. Who knows though, I may some day decide to go back and try to make FBI/SBI and if I do, it won't be too much extra.

#8 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,156 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

So you are/were racking up debt to become a cop?

You know they start at about 28K per year right?

If you wanted to max out at detective you could have gone to a community college gotten your associates and then gone through BLET and been done in less than 2 years.

With minimal debt.

#9 h0llywood

h0llywood

I HATE LUKE KUECHLY!

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,231 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

Come out here to LAPD or LA County Sherriff, they start off around 65k.

#10 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,683 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:13 AM

So you are/were racking up debt to become a cop?

You know they start at about 28K per year right?

If you wanted to max out at detective you could have gone to a community college gotten your associates and then gone through BLET and been done in less than 2 years.

With minimal debt.

Yeah, but getting the bachelors gets me about $1000-$1500 more than somebody with an associates. Plus, from what I've been told, there is tuition reimbursement, so it's not a tremendous issue.

Plus, had I stuck with teaching, I'd start out ~$30,000 anyway. Just feel like being a cop suits me more.

#11 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,683 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

Come out here to LAPD or LA County Sherriff, they start off around 65k.

If you know somebody that can be an in for me, and if you want to pay for the plane ticket, I'm game.

#12 cultclassiccat

cultclassiccat

flash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts
  • LocationG spot

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

Im addicted to investigation shows/ coldcase etc.. Not the ones like CSI...the real ones. Its all about what you think will make ya happy. Change it up if something doesnt feel right...you will have a good resume with college diploma so youre ahead of the game.

#13 88 Bronco

88 Bronco

• HUDDLER
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

You can be a North Charleston cop without any degree. http://www.northchar...quirements.aspx

#14 CarolinaAllDay

CarolinaAllDay

NY Panther's Fan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

Im doing the same op. Although ny cops do start off at 47k, a rookie with overtime last year made 90k. Ill take that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com