Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The High Cost of Poverty

27 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

It costs more money to put an 18 year old in prison for 5 years for a crack-cocaine conviction, than it would to get him a bachelor's degree.

Well, drug laws are disproportionately racist and used to prey on those living in poverty stricken areas, there's no doubt about that. Its just one part of the trap laid by both republicans and democrats.

Posted · Report post

It costs more money to put an 18 year old in prison for 5 years for a crack-cocaine conviction, than it would to get him a bachelor's degree.

Well that depends on what school they go to. :)

You can make someone go to prison, but you can't make them go to college. To many people I knew growing up have wasted whatever talents they have in a life of cigarettes, weed, alchohol and junk food. Breaking this cycle starts at an early age. I wish there was something that the government could do, but I don't think there is. Its going to take changes in the parents.

Posted · Report post

I would say at the epicenter of poverty is teenage pregnancy.

The cycle of poverty for many start right there. Get pregnant much earlier than normal or unexpectedly, drop out of high school, little to no support system and it's screw it from there.

Not saying someone who has a child young can't avoid the viscious cycle but it's very very hard to do.