Photo
- - - - -

The High Cost of Poverty

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#11 frash.exe

frash.exe

Freddy Frashbear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:55 PM

I apologize, perhaps I should have clarified or focused who my argument was towards (also the sarcasm was a tad thick at times incase that didn't come across...) I'm really venting more at the "working poor", people like the woman in that article who was a nurse making a pretty decent wage (15$ an hour is pretty decent, not rich but good) but complained about making ends meet. She is qualified for a job that can pay her well enough to live a good life in most parts of the country and yet she CHOOSES to stay in a city and place that forces her to be poor due to its outrageous costs.

I know, right!!!

I mean it's just so easy to just up and move nowadays it's such an opportunity that so many people overlook. I wonder why...

:rolleyes:

#12 Delhommey

Delhommey

Moderators

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:59 PM

Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?

#13 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

SUPPORTER

Posted 22 May 2009 - 05:43 AM

I've had no one come up to me and offer to lick my toes clean in what, 3 weeks?

My dad had to beat off toe lickers with a stick when I was a kid.

People today are so lazy....

#14 Ounce

Ounce

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:20 AM

I know, right!!!

I mean it's just so easy to just up and move nowadays it's such an opportunity that so many people overlook. I wonder why...

:rolleyes:

Are you in a backwards way implying that its actually...you know...hard work to pull one's self out of poverty? God I should hope not. Lets cut these folks a check ASAP so this problem is solved without anyone straining themselves

#15 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

SUPPORTER

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:51 AM

There is "hard" and there is "incredibly hard". Some people have the luck and some skills to do it, others do not.

We can go with the survival of the fittest model, or we can go with the "we are all in this together" model.

#16 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

HUDDLER

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:11 AM

There is "hard" and there is "incredibly hard". Some people have the luck and some skills to do it, others do not.

We can go with the survival of the fittest model, or we can go with the "we are all in this together" model.

It can easily be argued that both are equally dangerous.

#17 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

SUPPORTER

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:22 AM

I can see that. So the question is, what kind of civilization do we want to be?

#18 frash.exe

frash.exe

Freddy Frashbear

HUDDLER

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:05 PM

Are you in a backwards way implying that its actually...you know...hard work to pull one's self out of poverty? God I should hope not. Lets cut these folks a check ASAP so this problem is solved without anyone straining themselves

you wouldn't realize a lot of people work 6 or 7 days a week, between 1, 2, or 3 jobs and at the same time have a house to maintain or children to raise. They beat the crap out of themselves just so they get water running and electricity in their house and food in their mouths, I don't think moving their life 50 miles is something they're willing to make an investment in or is high on their priority list.

...when you get farther and farther away from the pedestal you're perched on saying crap like what's in quotes, the scenery looks a lot different.

Edited by Raging Bull, 22 May 2009 - 07:49 PM.

#19 mantal

mantal

HUDDLER

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:00 PM

I'm not saying that we have to pay their way, but I don't have a problem sympathizing with their plight. Anyone who doesn't is simply an asshole, simply put. They can't drive to a discount grocery, so they have to walk to a local convenience store for groceries. You mean to tell me that you do not understand that groceries cost more at a convenience store? Here in Roanoke, there are no grocery stores in the poorer areas, they are miles away. The gas is 10 cents higher per gallon in these areas, hell yes it's tougher on them. Again, not saying we need to pay their way, but we do need to have some sympathy while we're bitching about the prices we're paying. They're paying a lot more with a lot less, get real...

Edited by Mintal, 22 May 2009 - 07:06 PM.

#20 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

HUDDLER

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:08 PM

Mexicans sure seem to be able to move easily enough.