#121 CatfanMO

CatfanMO

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts
  • LocationKC Mo

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton said after Carolina's latest crushing loss that "something had to change." It didn't take long.
The Panthers announced Monday morning that General Manager Marty Hurney has been relieved of his duties. He's run the team since 2002.

"This was an extremely difficult decision," said owner Jerry Richardson in a statement. "Marty made every effort to bring success to the Panthers and took the team to a Super Bowl and two NFC championship games. Unfortunately, we have not enjoyed the success we hoped for in recent years. I have the greatest respect and admiration for Marty and will always appreciate the way he tirelessly served the organization."
The Panthers had their share of success under Hurney, but it was never sustained. They followed up their Super Bowl year with a 7-9 season. They followed up their '08 12-4 season with an 8-8 mark. Hurney was never able to deliver back-to-back winning years.
Things really went south after 2008. Hurney doubled down on Jake Delhomme's contract, which put his team in a huge hole. He got the Jimmy Clausen pick wrong. Outside of Cam Newton, the Panthershave very little to show for the last few drafts.
Hurney went on a spending spree before the 2011 season to poor results. They have the highest paid backfield in the league with Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams. Their rushing attack is 24th in rushing attempts despite giving $43 million guaranteed to their top two backs.

Whether it was John Fox or the current coach Ron Rivera, Hurney and the coaching staff didn't always seem to be on the same page.
"I am very fortunate to have been a part of one of the best organizations in the NFL since 1998," Hurney said. "As General Manager I will always regret not helping us win the Super Bowl or having back-to-back winning seasons. I hope this change starts accomplishing the direction to those goals. I understand this decision by Mr. Richardson and will always have an extremely close relationship with him. I consider him the best owner in the NFL. I am responsible for everybody in coaching, the players, the scouts and everybody in football operations. After six weeks, we are 1-5 coming off a 6-10 season."
It is a very unusual to fire a general manager in the middle of the season, but this is Richardson's signal that change is coming to Carolina. It's also a reminder how difficult life in the NFL can be. ThePanthers have lost four games by one score. If they complete another pass or two, Hurney still has his job.

#122 G()AT

G()AT

The Greatest of All Time

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:20 AM

It begins...

#123 Pantherman

Pantherman

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Very interesting comment from Charles Johnson on Hurney. Your thoughts. Is he crazy or just blind.
charles johnson@randywattson
Marty wasn't the reason we are losing! That's bs! Unbelievable! Marty might be the realist GM that I know #InMyMind BS BS BS BS!

#124 Millions

Millions

#ThankYouBasedCam

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, N.C.

Posted Image

#125 x djdrew x

x djdrew x

• ALL-PRO
  • 274 posts

bright side to 1-5......this would be it.

#126 Bj-Monster23

Bj-Monster23

Slam Newton

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,329 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

Whoever becomes GM will want his own coaching staff. Marty Hurney got fired because of horrible salary cap management and bad personnel moves. Rivera and staff will likely follow.

#127 CatfanMO

CatfanMO

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts
  • LocationKC Mo

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:22 AM

Jonathan Stewart Tweet "....."

#128 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,506 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

I am certain we will block better next week, run special teams better, our tackling will now be stellar, and Cams accuracy will go through the roof.

Not sure this move is anything more than to scapegoat some guy who has little to do with how a team performs on Sunday. It does, as evidence by this "thrilling" thread, do a lot to calm the masses and give them hope for next week.

#129 Millions

Millions

#ThankYouBasedCam

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, N.C.

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

Very interesting comment from Charles Johnson on Hurney. Your thoughts. Is he crazy or just blind.
Marty wasn't the reason we are losing! That's bs! Unbelievable! Marty might be the realist GM that I know #InMyMind BS BS BS BS!

obviously the players have gave up on jumping bean he won't make it til the end of the season Cam wants him gone

#130 Bj-Monster23

Bj-Monster23

Slam Newton

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,329 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:24 AM

Why wouldn't he say that, Marty gave him 72 million dollars. The sad thing about it is that Charles Johnson only had one good game this year.

#131 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:24 AM

Hurney wrote him a gigantic check. I'd like him too.

#132 Pantherman

Pantherman

• HUDDLER
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:29 AM

Hurney wrote him a gigantic check. I'd like him too.

Oh very true that. Just saying that the guy is still supporting a GM who done very little to bring in the good talent to fill our needs to win. Instead throwing ton of money on 2 RBs who have yet to produce anything in the backfield for us this year. Just crazy how a player can stay loyal to a guy like this. It's one thing to wish Hurney well, but to be blind and trying to give hint that he is one of the best GM around. He is been a sheep and following him. Get rid of him as well if he wants to be that way.

#133 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,344 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:29 AM

@ESPN_Colin
Blazin 5 delivers 4-1 week. and the guy who drafted Cam Newton, just axed in Carolina. Tells you what the organization thinks of Cam. #bust

Leave it to Cowturd to conclude that the firing of Hurney means the Panthers think Cam is a bust, LOL

#134 grateflday

grateflday

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

Works for me.... my biggest fear was the Panthers going on a wins streak, finishing strong at 8-8, 7-9 etc, we get another false reality and all was back and next season start 1-5 again. NOW I can enjoy the rest of the seaon, without that fear.

#135 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,907 posts
  • LocationRound about here

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:33 AM

Damn! Thought he would have at least made to the end of the season.

The new GM will inherit a cap mess. 43 players are under contract for next season and they have a combined cap hit that will eat up nearly 90% of the next years cap limit. Most of the ones with a bad cap hit will be nearly untradeable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com