Photo
- - - - -

Fundamental Question: How do people buy in to Mormonism...

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:03 AM

I mean really, if you need an example of total and complete suspension of reality and logic by otherwise rational people in order to follow a religion, there it is.

The Bible is filled with mistakes, but at least in general it is historically accurate and the events/characters/animals/plants in the bible are historically and geographically accurate. The book of mormon, however, is filled with things factually debunked.

But aside from that, even if the historical inaccuracies don't bother you, the whole story of Joe Smith just two hundred years ago being shown golden tablets that require magic goggles to read, I mean, really?

Most mormons are really fine people, articulate and intelligent. What is is about religion that allows them to just throw all of that out the window and suspend all manner of reason?

#2 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:25 AM

I mean really, if you need an example of total and complete suspension of reality and logic by otherwise rational people in order to follow a religion, there it is.

The Bible is filled with mistakes, but at least in general it is historically accurate and the events/characters/animals/plants in the bible are historically and geographically accurate. The book of mormon, however, is filled with things factually debunked.

But aside from that, even if the historical inaccuracies don't bother you, the whole story of Joe Smith just two hundred years ago being shown golden tablets that require magic goggles to read, I mean, really?

Most mormons are really fine people, articulate and intelligent. What is is about religion that allows them to just throw all of that out the window and suspend all manner of reason?

Same as any other religion....either brainwashed at early age, or you're converting in order to marry someone you love.

#3 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,128 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:41 AM

Look at the overall jist of this website. Fan's is part of fanatic.
Look at how people defend Jake or other players despite other evidence.

But mormons are great for the bicycle industry and they are one black sport coat away from Men in Black.

#4 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• HUDDLER
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:53 AM

Its the plural marriage that attracts them.

I could buy into the doctrine if it meant I got 3 or 4 wives.

#5 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:55 AM

I could buy into the doctrine if it meant I got 3 or 4 wives.

Seriously? I think that would be a huge headache.

Now, one that allows 3 or 4 mistresses, well...

#6 Speed

Speed

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:59 AM

I once read this book that would have scared the sh!t out of me. It did not because I chose not to believe this. Pretty much everything has been written about. There are writings of the most outrageous lies to the purest truths and all that falls between. You can chose to believe any that is there. It's a matter of the bull sh!t filter in the brain. In my observations, I see that the more ignorant people tend to believe idiotic conspiracy theories. Some examples would be, the US set up the Pearle Harbor attack, there were no Jewish people killed in the world trade center attacks and Lee Harvey Oswald was not the only marksman in the Kennedy assignation. It also seems that the more intelligent people chose to believe in God. Most of the US presidents attend church. Although it's likely there may be some that did not, I can't think of any that did not. I am certain that Carter, Bush Sr., G.W Bush and Obama do.

I worry why you have such a problem with people making choices that you have not. Why is it so important to you, that you try to convince people that there is no God? You really seem to have a problem with this. I think you need to examine the motivation for your actions on this matter. Does it make you feel superior or intelligent? Does it make you feel like a bad ass? Why does this trouble you so much?

#7 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:03 AM

Why is it so important to you, that you try to convince people that there is no God?

When have I done that?

As to the overall question, I happen to think its a great thing to have people challenge and think through their beliefs. Now, if you are a sheep that does not like hearing opposing viewpoints, which your post indicates to me, then it may bother you. But for others the questioning of ones own faith is an integral part of growth within that faith.

#8 Speed

Speed

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:09 AM

I hope you took my comments and questions as friendly. I do have my own struggles with faith. But to me they are a personal subject.

I just think calling people morons because they are Christians is not proper.

#9 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,729 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:19 AM

The main difference between Mormon and other religions is that Mormons don't have the benefit of thousands of years of murky history to separate all the stuff they made up from the stuff that actually happened.

#10 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:32 AM

I just think calling people morons because they are Christians is not proper.

I did that?

#11 Speed

Speed

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:47 AM

I did that?

To quote the famous Rosane Rosanadanna, "Nevermind"

I must add that one of the things I hate most about not having HBO is missing "Big Love".

#12 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:48 AM

Was she also completely mistaken about her accusations?

#13 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,558 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:50 AM

Seriously? I think that would be a huge headache.

Now, one that allows 3 or 4 mistresses, well...

Yes... one is bad enough, but 3 or 4 to nag you? The mistresses thing would work though... sounds like we need to start our own religion, I mean how hard could it be?

#14 Speed

Speed

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:54 AM

#15 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:55 AM

You should give backpedaling lessons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.