Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chknwing

Be Careful What You Wish For...

27 posts in this topic

Can you guys stop slitting your wrists for 5 minutes and appreciate some good news? "Worst team in the league last 4 years" and you guys are afraid about things getting worse. Newsflash: we're already at rock bottom, guys. What exactly is there to be afraid of? This is good news any way you slice it.

2 people like this

Those thinking Hurney wasn't the biggest problem should go ahead and shoot themselves in the face.

Let me guess. You think Chud is doing a swell job.

Wreck the roster? Have you looked at the roster since 2009?

Wreck the roster? Have you looked at the roster since 2009?

Yup, we need to stop overrating our talent. If we had the talent, Hurney wouldn't have been fired.

wrecking the roster....good lord.

1 person likes this

This ain't gonna help us this season but it had to happen sometime. Now it sends a message to everyone that nobody's job is safe.

I agree with this move.

no we have a decent roster but mostly underachieving, that falls on the coaches. Also, the team was in rebuilding mode and it was stated it was going to take time to develop their young players and coach them up but yet year 2, ppl already expecting a superbowl caliber team. Personally, I think JR flipflopped on his expectations. He gave hurney time to rebuild this team with a new coaching staff but then withdrew that time frame. I dunno. Hurney needed to be let go, but he needed to be let go 2 years ago with John Fox.

At 1-5 the team was going nowhere. I think it's a good move. It gives our new GM time to assemble his various scouts, scout our personnel and our coaches, so we can have a detailed plan of action and hit the ground running come offseason.

Question now is how much rope does Rivera have? If they go 1-10 does he get the ax? Do DC or OC's go first?

This was the right time and logical first step in turning this franchise around. Thank you JR!

1) The timing helps address a demoralized fan base, many who thought ownership was not concerned about winning.

2) By making this move now this organization can start heading in a new direction immediately when it comes to contract negotiations and preparing for the draft.

3) The players and coaches now realize they have 10 games to justify their existence to this organization.

2 people like this

This was the right time and logical first step in turning this franchise around. Thank you JR!

1) The timing helps address a demoralized fan base, many who thought ownership was not concerned about winning.

2) By making this move now this organization can start heading in a new direction immediately when it comes to contract negotiations and preparing for the draft.

3) The players and coaches now realize they have 10 games to justify their existence to this organization.

Good post and I agree with all but part of point #3. But first, yes, it was the right move. Something had to be done or we were headed for a fan/player revolt. It is problematic to fire coaching staffs mid-year unless you have a good interim on staff, and we don't.

Now as to the one point of disagreement...Rivera and staff have no hope of retaining their jobs after this year no matter how we finish up. JR wanted to clean house, but he can't do it mid-year. A new coach cannot install a new system mid-year, so chances are the losses will continue to mount, and the fans and players would then lose confidence in the new guy. Bring in the new GM, and let them take their time identifying the new coaching staff. After the season, Ron and staff are sent packing and the new guy gets a fresh start.

My opinion is that the Rivera hire is what got Marty fired more than anything else. No way he survives this.