• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 BIGH2001

BIGH2001

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

Wreck the roster? Have you looked at the roster since 2009?

#17 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

Wreck the roster? Have you looked at the roster since 2009?

Yup, we need to stop overrating our talent. If we had the talent, Hurney wouldn't have been fired.

wrecking the roster....good lord.

#18 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

This ain't gonna help us this season but it had to happen sometime. Now it sends a message to everyone that nobody's job is safe.

I agree with this move.

#19 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

no we have a decent roster but mostly underachieving, that falls on the coaches. Also, the team was in rebuilding mode and it was stated it was going to take time to develop their young players and coach them up but yet year 2, ppl already expecting a superbowl caliber team. Personally, I think JR flipflopped on his expectations. He gave hurney time to rebuild this team with a new coaching staff but then withdrew that time frame. I dunno. Hurney needed to be let go, but he needed to be let go 2 years ago with John Fox.

#20 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,688 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

At 1-5 the team was going nowhere. I think it's a good move. It gives our new GM time to assemble his various scouts, scout our personnel and our coaches, so we can have a detailed plan of action and hit the ground running come offseason.

#21 MrBubba

MrBubba

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

Question now is how much rope does Rivera have? If they go 1-10 does he get the ax? Do DC or OC's go first?

#22 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,454 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

This was the right time and logical first step in turning this franchise around. Thank you JR!

1) The timing helps address a demoralized fan base, many who thought ownership was not concerned about winning.

2) By making this move now this organization can start heading in a new direction immediately when it comes to contract negotiations and preparing for the draft.

3) The players and coaches now realize they have 10 games to justify their existence to this organization.

#23 Keith Moons Liver

Keith Moons Liver

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

That is probably the worst pro-Hurney argument I have ever heard.

#24 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,598 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

This was the right time and logical first step in turning this franchise around. Thank you JR!

1) The timing helps address a demoralized fan base, many who thought ownership was not concerned about winning.

2) By making this move now this organization can start heading in a new direction immediately when it comes to contract negotiations and preparing for the draft.

3) The players and coaches now realize they have 10 games to justify their existence to this organization.

Good post and I agree with all but part of point #3. But first, yes, it was the right move. Something had to be done or we were headed for a fan/player revolt. It is problematic to fire coaching staffs mid-year unless you have a good interim on staff, and we don't.

Now as to the one point of disagreement...Rivera and staff have no hope of retaining their jobs after this year no matter how we finish up. JR wanted to clean house, but he can't do it mid-year. A new coach cannot install a new system mid-year, so chances are the losses will continue to mount, and the fans and players would then lose confidence in the new guy. Bring in the new GM, and let them take their time identifying the new coaching staff. After the season, Ron and staff are sent packing and the new guy gets a fresh start.

My opinion is that the Rivera hire is what got Marty fired more than anything else. No way he survives this.

#25 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,454 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

Good post and I agree with all but part of point #3. But first, yes, it was the right move. Something had to be done or we were headed for a fan/player revolt. It is problematic to fire coaching staffs mid-year unless you have a good interim on staff, and we don't.

Now as to the one point of disagreement...Rivera and staff have no hope of retaining their jobs after this year no matter how we finish up. JR wanted to clean house, but he can't do it mid-year. A new coach cannot install a new system mid-year, so chances are the losses will continue to mount, and the fans and players would then lose confidence in the new guy. Bring in the new GM, and let them take their time identifying the new coaching staff. After the season, Ron and staff are sent packing and the new guy gets a fresh start.

My opinion is that the Rivera hire is what got Marty fired more than anything else. No way he survives this.

Well stated. Your scenario is the most likely one in my opinion.

Rivera seems to be the acting GM for now, but that may be more due to JRs limited options than anything else.

If I am the new GM, there is no way I don't bring in my own coaches, especially with one arm already tied behind my back when it comes to bloated player contracts / Cap space.

#26 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

Hurney was fired IMO to show the fans JR still cares.

Rivera and crew will probably be axed at the end of the season since we'll be 2-14.

#27 savage

savage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

I love this move personally. because now players don't know if they will be here next season. it will make them want to bust their ass to live up to their contracts. they better play like their asses are on the line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com