#1 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,540 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:15 AM

Evaluate this statement:

The earth has a fixed capacity for human life, one that we are approaching fast. As we get closer to the breaking point, it will become more and more difficult to protect individual rights, including, but not limited to: reproductive rights; right to food, water, and shelter (even growing one's own food or capturing one's own rainwater); and right to property.

#2 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,773 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:30 AM

In the 70's it was predicted that the human population of the planet would would starve itself to death by the end of the century.

Star Trek did a pretty good episode on a planet that was so overcrowded everyone had to stand up and mill around.

Everything is finite, the key is efficency and good planning. When we do get to the point of mismanagement, a virus or some such thing will wipe a lot of us out.

#3 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:34 AM

I think viruses will keep the human population under control.

#4 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 46,795 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:35 AM

As far as food goes, we waste so much now, We could probably feed the world, plus another billion.

#5 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,245 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:41 AM

Cannibalism...oh wait does that violate individual rights?

#6 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,757 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:42 AM

moon colonies would be cool as hell

#7 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,886 posts
  • LocationRound about here

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:47 AM

Soylent green will buy us a lot of time.

#8 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 11:37 AM

As far as food goes, we waste so much now, We could probably feed the world, plus another billion.

Water is more of a concern than food.

The answer is true, but I think technology will be able to continue to raise the cap so trying to predict when it'll happen or at what number is impossible(i.e. exponentially larger than what we'd think today).

#9 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,138 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:23 PM

Nature has funny ways of dealing with overpopulation.

#10 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,245 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:34 PM

Cannibalism...oh wait does that violate individual rights?

speaking of cannibalism, i was riding the light rail the other day and saw a homeless guy reading Hannibal Lecter. No joke

#11 xPUREBYBLOODx

xPUREBYBLOODx

StraightXXXLife

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:27 PM

lie just like global warming....were promoting fascism through science which hasn't proven anything. If they strong arm it on the idiot box enough the sheep will all regurgitate the lies. "I saw it on the discovery channel it must be legit."

#12 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:54 PM

Perhaps, but distribution is the big problem. Remember Somalia? We initially went in militarily because aid workers trying to distribute food were being threatened and attacked by gangs. And even with military force, we still couldn't distribute food efficiently. IMO, that was the biggest problem in Africa. Constant warring between rival factions, and a piss poor logistical system that wasn't efficient even when there was no conflict.

#13 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:48 AM

http://www.scienceda...90418075752.htm

The interesting question to me is, once we reach the point where natural means of population control take over (disease, famine, war for scarce resources, etc.), will what's left be able to get the ball rolling again?

#14 Kylee

Kylee

JRMEMBERMYASS:(

• HUDDLER
  • 5,002 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:20 AM

The world will end sooner or later no matter what be it IamLegend style or some massive mushroom cloud viewable from Pluto. I prefer to not worry about it and if it does happen in my lifetime I am envisioning some glowing clouds, possibly a lil high wind, deadly quiet except for the really deep voice of God speaking to me in a very comforting way. This is my hope.

#15 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:22 AM

lie just like global warming....were promoting fascism through science which hasn't proven anything. If they strong arm it on the idiot box enough the sheep will all regurgitate the lies. "I saw it on the discovery channel it must be legit."

You are comedy gold.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.