• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#11 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

got a lenovo a few months back... no complaints.

really? Mine is university issued (bad decision) and this thing has been a complete piece of crap. Battery life is absolutely miserable and I even had to get a new one because the other one couldn't hold a charge for more than 20 minutes after 2 years of use

for reference, mine is a thinkpad W500

Also Hawk, if you already have a desktop I wouldn't suggest a huge screen- really does get to be a pain lugging a big laptop around- I suggest no more than 15 inches with 12-14 being prime, just my opinion of course- but I am a reliable source as I carry mine around every single day in a backpack

final edit: inevitably you are going to get ask/have already decided whether you want to go the Mac or PC route. This is my advice: if you are a noob with computers, aren't looking into gaming, willing to spend an extra buck (or few bucks) and want a reliable, user friendly device- get a Mac. My sister did that and I regret not doing it to this day.

#12 Panthers128

Panthers128

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

Don't get a Toshiba. If anything happens to it in the warranty period, they charge you $25 to send it back to them for repair. I've also heard if it's damage not under warranty, they'll charge you a diagnostics fee of $100+ just to get your laptop back.

Also there have been issues with bios updates from Toshiba:

http://toshiba.pisse...0517148917.html

Research the warranty process and how supportive the company is for releasing new drivers. I used to have a Dell and they never released a proper graphics card driver for the Windows Vista/7 updates.

Currently I'm using an HP and I have no complaints (knock on wood).

Another thing is to be knowledgeable about how a laptop operates. So many people use laptops on their lap or on a bed, this is not a smart thing to do. The laptop has rubber legs and needs elevation to allow the vents to have room to let off heat. Without that room the laptop will overheat and its lifespan will be shortened.

HP by defaults sets fan speed to low to create a quiet experience. I went into the settings and set it to have spin the fans at higher speeds more often. It is really important that laptops stay reasonably cool.

#13 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

Want a laptop/tablet? The Lenovo Yoga is really becoming popular (Win8)

#14 Niner National

Niner National

HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

Want a laptop/tablet? The Lenovo Yoga is really becoming popular (Win8)

I used it in Best Buy a couple days ago. It was a really great machine, but a little more than I want to spend on a laptop. I love the touch screen integration with Windows 8. It is really a great platform.

Computers, laptops especially, crap out after 3-4 years and I'm hesitant to spend $1000 on something that will only last that long.

#15 RedMage138

RedMage138

YES!YES!YES!

HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

I used it in Best Buy a couple days ago. It was a really great machine, but a little more than I want to spend on a laptop. I love the touch screen integration with Windows 8. It is really a great platform.

Computers, laptops especially, crap out after 3-4 years and I'm hesitant to spend $1000 on something that will only last that long.

So you'd rather spend $500 on something that's going to crap out after 2 years?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users