Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Next GM

160 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Brandon Beane is from Norwood, NC - was quarterback for his high school - he was he team’s director of football operations,

Posted · Report post

Just a thought but two things come to mind:

1.The new Collective bargaining agreement take some of the administrative bean counting out of the equation

2.Hurney lost his job for poor personnel decisions and not understanding the talent requirements.

Could this play in to selecting a GM with a background and resume of collecting quality talent?

I think he may lean towards that.

Posted · Report post

Michael Lombardi brought up a good point today on NFL network. He thought one reason for the timing of the move was to get a GM in here before the end of the season to have a better handle on staff and player evaluation. So perhaps we won't wait until the offseason...

You don't need to wait until the offseason to hire a GM. IMO it would be stupid to do so considering the amount of prep that you need leading up to the offseason in addressing looming contracts, the draft, and free agency. That isn't the time you want to be interviewing candidates to run your team. Interviews need to be underway right now and someone needs to come now to survey this mess and gather ideas.

Posted · Report post

You don't need to wait until the offseason to hire a GM. IMO it would be stupid to do so considering the amount of prep that you need leading up to the offseason in addressing looming contracts, the draft, and free agency. That isn't the time you want to be interviewing candidates to run your team. Interviews need to be underway right now and someone needs to come now to survey this mess and gather ideas.

I get the emphasis, but you have to look beyond just next season.

We need a guy that can guide this team for the next ten years or more, not just next year. To get that, you have to go after the best candidates. Those guys won't be available until the offseason.

Gotta think long term.

Posted · Report post

I will be disappointed if we hire someone before the blue-chip guys are available. This move will define both this team and Jerry Richardson's attitude towards this team to a lot of people for a long time. If the best guys aren't available right now then hiring right now is beyond a bad idea.

Posted · Report post

If I had my choice I'd say to give the reigns over to Bill Cowher and let him build this team the way he wants it. He's coached a high-profile QB (who he didn't always get along with) and he won big. He's smart, he's experienced, he's been successful, and he knows how to build toughness on both sides of the ball (which I think Cam needs desperately).

I don't think that you can go out and hire another new head coach. Cam Newton needs someone who has been around before to show him how to do this. So my ideal candidates for both positions would be Cowher. My ideal candidate for a guy who isn't going to be a GM..just a coach, would be Jon Gruden.

I know nothing about Mark Ross...but the Giants have drafted reasonably well. IMO their drafts are a little overrated in the last 5 years but definitely nothing to scoff at.

The thing that scares me about Ross is he might want Perry Fewell to get that job and I'm not sure why but I wouldn't be excited about Fewell at all.

Posted · Report post

Jerry is going after another journalist......drumroll..................................

here comes Chris Chase!!!!!

Posted · Report post

Let's be honest here... It's very likely the guy we hire to be GM will be someone nobody here has ever heard of before.

Posted · Report post

Let's be honest here... It's very likely the guy we hire to be GM will be someone nobody here has ever heard of before.

Doesn't mean its a bad thing. Most front office guys don't get their names in headlines.

Posted · Report post

Marc Ross would be a no name candidate to average fans.

Posted · Report post

our next GM will be GM/HC

I highly doubt that.

Posted · Report post

I'd have to look, but I'm pretty sure if we did that we'd be the only team in the NFL using that model right now.

Pretty much everyone else has abandoned that approach. And with good reason: it doesn't work.

May want to consider this. It's actually possible that Richardson could go back to be 'two-headed GM' approach he preferred before (one evaluator, one administrator) rather than keeping the power consolidated under one guy. That's something I plan to take a look at later.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure the 'full control' option is off the table, but we'll see.

I thought Shanahan and Belichick were both in full control of player personel? Am I mistaken?