Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Next GM

160 posts in this topic

Posted

I thought Shanahan and Belichick were both in full control of player personel? Am I mistaken?

Belichick, yes...Shanahan, no...

Snyder handles the personnel decisions

Posted

I thought Shanahan and Belichick were both in full control of player personel? Am I mistaken?

Bruce Allen is the GM of the Redskins.

In Patriot Land, nobody has the official GM title. Caserio has the player personnel title, Floyd Reese is 'Senior Advisor' and Jon Kraft is team president. Looks to be a committee approach. You could rightly expect Belichick to have the most say in that committee though.

Pats may have somewhat given up on a traditional model since they've had some departures (Pioli, Dimitroff).

Posted

As much as i hate to say it, i think all you guys know Jrich will sign someone nobody has ever heard of.

Posted

Let's be honest here... It's very likely the guy we hire to be GM will be someone nobody here has ever heard of before.

Possible. In fairness though, 95% of this list is people most have never heard of.

Posted

As much as i hate to say it, i think all you guys know Jrich will sign someone nobody has ever heard of.

And AGAIN, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Big name GMs and coaches aren't always the best. And in general you don't look through the headlines for a GM.

Posted

Still no Brian Gutekunst? :'(

Posted

As NFL.com wrote. Hire Cowher and let him pick his GM.

Posted

As NFL.com wrote. Hire Cowher and let him pick his GM.

Can we please just stop with the Cowher talk? Dude lives in NC, cool, I get it.

He has been out of the NFL for, what, 3-4 years now? The game has changed. Cowher would be in over his head in today's NFL.

Besides, Cowher probably wants to sit on his ass, pressure-free, and talk about football for an hour on Sunday rather than coach a team.

Posted

Still no Brian Gutekunst? :'(

I'll check him out.

Posted

Can we please just stop with the Cowher talk? Dude lives in NC, cool, I get it.

He has been out of the NFL for, what, 3-4 years now? The game has changed. Cowher would be in over his head in today's NFL.

Besides, Cowher probably wants to sit on his ass, pressure-free, and talk about football for an hour on Sunday rather than coach a team.

While you may not like the idea. Cowher said he would be interested in coming back in the right situation. The formula that the Steelers employ now is basically the same has Cowher has when he was there. Being a head coach is more about being a good manager. Making right decisions and giving his team the best opportunity to win. Hiring a good OC and DC will prevent your so called Over his head.

Posted

I wouldn't complain if we got him, but I'm not convinced he's some sort of amazing savior. The Steelers are one of the best run organizations in professional sports. Certainly he's a fine coach, but plenty of guys could have succeeded in the situation he was in. Anyone expecting him to rekindle that kind of success here would be in for a rude awakening.

Posted

Yas has mentioned that he heard the Panthers are interested in someone who's currently employed by another team but has never been a GM. Who knows how solid his information is, but that could help narrow things down by eliminating former GMs (and, IMO, I think it eliminates DeCosta has he's an "assistant GM" and I think he was a pipe dream anyway).