#16 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,922 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

The Panthers may not have a choice but to wait until the season is over if they want someone already employed by another organization. Not unlike coaches, the team has to allow permission to even speak to the guy.

Of course, most personnel people (GMs, player personnel staff) are pretty much not doing anything right now except holding their breath to see if their draft choices and FA signings pan out, thereby ensuring their job security for another year.

That being said, I'm afraid anytime I see someone from Cleveland on the list, only because I don't see anyone from Pittsburgh on the same list- you know, that other team Jerry wants the Panthers to grow up and be like....

Omar Khan is up there, though how possible it is to get him is a question.

Add in that there's more than one guy on there with Steeler experiense - Doug Whaley, for example - or experience with another winning program who's in a different zip code now. Browns GM Tom Heckert is among that group, having been with the Eagles for several years before coming to Cleveland.

A lot to flesh out, honestly. I can tell already that putting these together with something meaningful will be more difficult than the coaching ones were. Still, it's something I enjoy, or I wouldn't do it :)

#17 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,922 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

Here's another name to add to this list: Brian Xanders

http://blogs.denverp...rce=rsshomeblog

I remember the name. Some felt Elway scapegoated him when he was let go.

He's one of a few guys that could actually be interviewed now if desired, although there's no real reason for the team to move quickly.

I'll add him in.

#18 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,922 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

No more guys from SD. Please..

I'd prefer anyone from a winning organization, especially in the last 5 years.

Understand the sentiment, but afraid Charger guys have to be considered legit candidates. For the record, we got Hurney from the Chargers too (he was there with Bobby Beathard).

I seriously do not want anyone associated with the Patriots. Nobody associated with that organization as an assistant coach or front office person has amounted to poo outside New England.

Besides, it's not like they've been knocking it out of the park in the draft recently. Seriously, go look at their last 5 or so drafts. Awful outside of a handful of players like Gronkowski, Hernandez.

Do. Not. Want.

They may indeed be living off their rep from the Pioli years (so is Pioli right now) but you gotta look at 'em. Like I said, I don't endorse every name listed here. For what it's worth, Floyd Reese is more a Titans guy than a Patriots guy.

By the way, take a moment and look up Nick Caserio's profile pic. Looks like Beaker with a dye job.

#19 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,205 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

I want someone with the mindset of NY Giants and Pittsburgh Steelers.

As I have said many times, our team needs an identity, beyond losing. I love watching the teams above draft. One big ugly after another and their D Lines are terrors. These are the keys to consistency in my opinion. Look at how long Eli had to throw against us. Their D Line is in the QB's face constantly.

I hate the "ooooh" lets get another WR, "I want this guy, look how high he jumps", nuclear threads during the combine. I want to build from the lines out. I want holes so that any RB can run through them, I want time for any QB to pass, I want opposing QB's staring at the sky when they play us and I want opposing RB's to never get 100 yds.

The rest will take care of itself

#20 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,922 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

our next GM will be GM/HC

I'd have to look, but I'm pretty sure if we did that we'd be the only team in the NFL using that model right now.

Pretty much everyone else has abandoned that approach. And with good reason: it doesn't work.

May want to consider this. It's actually possible that Richardson could go back to be 'two-headed GM' approach he preferred before (one evaluator, one administrator) rather than keeping the power consolidated under one guy. That's something I plan to take a look at later.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure the 'full control' option is off the table, but we'll see.

#21 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 13,952 posts
  • Location704

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

Right now, the leader in the clubhouse is Brandon Beane.

#22 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,922 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

Right now, the leader in the clubhouse is Brandon Beane.

Haven't been able to find much on him, but from what I've seen, he's a logistics guy, not a football guy.

Reed says he's the interim GM. Gantt says there is no interim GM. As a general rule, I trust Gantt more than Reed, but we'll see.

If you want to look at internal candidates, Rob Rogers and Mark Koncz are more directly in line. I'm seriously hoping we don't go that route though. There is no one within the organization right now that I think can be the GM we need.

#23 Guest_Bwood_*

Guest_Bwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

Haven't been able to find much on him, but from what I've seen, he's a logistics guy, not a football guy.

Reed says he's the interim GM. Gantt says there is no interim GM. As a general rule, I trust Gantt more than Reed, but we'll see.

If you want to look at internal candidates, Rob Rogers and Mark Koncz are more directly in line. I'm seriously hoping we don't go that route though. There is no one within the organization right now that I think can be the GM we need.

He's related to Billy Beane FWIW.

#24 GolfRasta

GolfRasta

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • LocationPinehurst

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

I'd have to look, but I'm pretty sure if we did that we'd be the only team in the NFL using that model right now.

Pretty much everyone else has abandoned that approach. And with good reason: it doesn't work.

May want to consider this. It's actually possible that Richardson could go back to be 'two-headed GM' approach he preferred before (one evaluator, one administrator) rather than keeping the power consolidated under one guy. That's something I plan to take a look at later.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure the 'full control' option is off the table, but we'll see.

Bill Belichick is the only one...Obviously he has people under him doing the scouting and most likely a finance guy to help with contract negotiations.

I know people are getting tired of the name, but the only candidate I can think of that would fill the GM/HC role would be Bill Cowher. On his list of demands a few years ago was 1.)GM must be fired and he have full control and 2.)8 mil per year...

#25 KFreedle

KFreedle

NEWB

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

Brandon Beane is from Norwood, NC - was quarterback for his high school - he was he team’s director of football operations,

#26 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,572 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

Just a thought but two things come to mind:
1.The new Collective bargaining agreement take some of the administrative bean counting out of the equation
2.Hurney lost his job for poor personnel decisions and not understanding the talent requirements.

Could this play in to selecting a GM with a background and resume of collecting quality talent?

I think he may lean towards that.

#27 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

Michael Lombardi brought up a good point today on NFL network. He thought one reason for the timing of the move was to get a GM in here before the end of the season to have a better handle on staff and player evaluation. So perhaps we won't wait until the offseason...

You don't need to wait until the offseason to hire a GM. IMO it would be stupid to do so considering the amount of prep that you need leading up to the offseason in addressing looming contracts, the draft, and free agency. That isn't the time you want to be interviewing candidates to run your team. Interviews need to be underway right now and someone needs to come now to survey this mess and gather ideas.

#28 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,922 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

You don't need to wait until the offseason to hire a GM. IMO it would be stupid to do so considering the amount of prep that you need leading up to the offseason in addressing looming contracts, the draft, and free agency. That isn't the time you want to be interviewing candidates to run your team. Interviews need to be underway right now and someone needs to come now to survey this mess and gather ideas.

I get the emphasis, but you have to look beyond just next season.

We need a guy that can guide this team for the next ten years or more, not just next year. To get that, you have to go after the best candidates. Those guys won't be available until the offseason.

Gotta think long term.

#29 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

I will be disappointed if we hire someone before the blue-chip guys are available. This move will define both this team and Jerry Richardson's attitude towards this team to a lot of people for a long time. If the best guys aren't available right now then hiring right now is beyond a bad idea.

#30 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

If I had my choice I'd say to give the reigns over to Bill Cowher and let him build this team the way he wants it. He's coached a high-profile QB (who he didn't always get along with) and he won big. He's smart, he's experienced, he's been successful, and he knows how to build toughness on both sides of the ball (which I think Cam needs desperately).

I don't think that you can go out and hire another new head coach. Cam Newton needs someone who has been around before to show him how to do this. So my ideal candidates for both positions would be Cowher. My ideal candidate for a guy who isn't going to be a GM..just a coach, would be Jon Gruden.

I know nothing about Mark Ross...but the Giants have drafted reasonably well. IMO their drafts are a little overrated in the last 5 years but definitely nothing to scoff at.

The thing that scares me about Ross is he might want Perry Fewell to get that job and I'm not sure why but I wouldn't be excited about Fewell at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.