159 replies to this topic

#46 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Member from WAAAYY Back

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,268 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

Can we please just stop with the Cowher talk? Dude lives in NC, cool, I get it.

He has been out of the NFL for, what, 3-4 years now? The game has changed. Cowher would be in over his head in today's NFL.

Besides, Cowher probably wants to sit on his ass, pressure-free, and talk about football for an hour on Sunday rather than coach a team.

While you may not like the idea. Cowher said he would be interested in coming back in the right situation. The formula that the Steelers employ now is basically the same has Cowher has when he was there. Being a head coach is more about being a good manager. Making right decisions and giving his team the best opportunity to win. Hiring a good OC and DC will prevent your so called Over his head.

#47 Keith Moons Liver

Keith Moons Liver

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

I wouldn't complain if we got him, but I'm not convinced he's some sort of amazing savior. The Steelers are one of the best run organizations in professional sports. Certainly he's a fine coach, but plenty of guys could have succeeded in the situation he was in. Anyone expecting him to rekindle that kind of success here would be in for a rude awakening.

#48 UNCrules2187

UNCrules2187

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

Yas has mentioned that he heard the Panthers are interested in someone who's currently employed by another team but has never been a GM. Who knows how solid his information is, but that could help narrow things down by eliminating former GMs (and, IMO, I think it eliminates DeCosta has he's an "assistant GM" and I think he was a pipe dream anyway).

#49 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,506 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:09 PM

Yas has mentioned that he heard the Panthers are interested in someone who's currently employed by another team but has never been a GM. Who knows how solid his information is, but that could help narrow things down by eliminating former GMs (and, IMO, I think it eliminates DeCosta has he's an "assistant GM" and I think he was a pipe dream anyway).

Which brings up question. I'm pretty sure gm's can not take other jobs til their team is out of the playoffs. IIRC it isn't the same for people under them right?

#50 UNCrules2187

UNCrules2187

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

Which brings up question. I'm pretty sure gm's can not take other jobs til their team is out of the playoffs. IIRC it isn't the same for people under them right?

Correct. If JR has someone in mind who's currently employed, we're going to have to wait until that team's season ends. And I might be assuming here, but I can't imagine it not being someone who's currently with a team that's on track to make the playoffs.

#51 Bj-Monster23

Bj-Monster23

Slam Newton

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

I'm guessing if JR waits into the season is over he could be looking at Player personnel guys from the Packers, Giants, and etc.

#52 beastson

beastson

Big Money

• HUDDLER
  • 9,176 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

I want Eric

#53 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,963 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:12 AM

Added a video link and a little more info on DeCosta.

The video's worth viewing even though I think we have zero shot at DeCosta.

(I'd love to be wrong about that)

#54 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,477 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:39 AM

Beyond the Super Bowls, I just like the way the Giants have been built the past 4/5 seasons. That's why Abrams and Ross seem like very intriguing options.

I also like Will Lewis and who he's brought in out in Seattle.

Will Lewis left Seattle last offseason, but I also like how Seattle was built. That secondary is just sick good, they've got a nice pass rush, and they seem to be getting good production out of WR's that most weren't very high on (in fairness, that may be coaching more than talent evaluation). I'm not a huge Russell Wilson fan yet and think it's likely that they are looking for a QB again in a year or two, but it is still a well-built young team overall.

While Lewis may not be a legitimate candidate, if I were a talent evaluator, the Hawks are one of the teams I'd look at for benchmarking purposes.

#55 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,963 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:02 AM

Will Lewis left Seattle last offseason, but I also like how Seattle was built. That secondary is just sick good, they've got a nice pass rush, and they seem to be getting good production out of WR's that most weren't very high on (in fairness, that may be coaching more than talent evaluation). I'm not a huge Russell Wilson fan yet and think it's likely that they are looking for a QB again in a year or two, but it is still a well-built young team overall.

While Lewis may not be a legitimate candidate, if I were a talent evaluator, the Hawks are one of the teams I'd look at for benchmarking purposes.

I want to find out more about that story. Only did a cursory search so far but wasn't able to find much in the way of real info as to why he left.Some speculation that the addition of Scot McCloughan made him redundant, but that's about it.

#56 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,096 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

I want to find out more about that story. Only did a cursory search so far but wasn't able to find much in the way of real info as to why he left.Some speculation that the addition of Scot McCloughan made him redundant, but that's about it.

yeah that's definitely interesting. I had no idea he left

#57 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,963 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

Had to chuckle a little: In the video, Eric DeCosta admits he reads draft previews and checks out mock drafts.

Marty Hurney once made a point of saying he didn't need to look at stuff like that :lol:

#58 Cavscout

Cavscout

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:59 AM

The more I read about all of these potential candidates for GM that you have listed Mr Scot, the more I like Tom Gamble of the 49ers. Gamble has Carolina ties having been a scout for the team and also the Eagles, Ravens, Jets, and Colts. He is also a local guy being a High Point U. alum.

#59 BountyHunter

BountyHunter

I'm not a Saint

• ALL-PRO
  • 606 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

I was just watching the NFL network and saw a former GM that had that job for 16 years.

I think we can all agree on him.

Charlie Casserly should not be considered under any circumstances.

#60 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,963 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

I was just watching the NFL network and saw a former GM that had that job for 16 years.

I think we can all agree on him.

Charlie Casserly should not be considered under any circumstances.

Yeah, Casserly's not on my list of potential GMs.

Wouldn't be terribly surprised to see him considered for the consultant role though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com