#106 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,537 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

Also of note: GM Jerry Reese refers to Gettleman as a mentor.

i found this interesting as well, when doing some research on him.been looking at what i can find on Omar Khan.

#107 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,021 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

I'm guessing it will be Marc Ross, or he'll be our first choice given Accorsi's involvement.

Not sure who else Accorsi has helped place, but Reese was his apprentice and he had ties to Dimitroff from his days in Cleveland. This makes me think that the GM will be someone who has at one time or another been directly associated with Accorsi.

Mr. Scot, what other candidates on this list have some sort of direct association with Accorsi?

#108 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,940 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

I'm guessing it will be Marc Ross, or he'll be our first choice given Accorsi's involvement.

Not sure who else Accorsi has helped place, but Reese was his apprentice and he had ties to Dimitroff from his days in Cleveland. This makes me think that the GM will be someone who has at one time or another been directly associated with Accorsi.

Mr. Scot, what other candidates on this list have some sort of direct association with Accorsi?

Kevin Abrams, the Giants assistant GM.

I think there's at least one or two more, but I don't remember off the top of my head and I'm not where I could look it up.

#109 charlotte49er

charlotte49er

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 4,549 posts
  • LocationCharlotte-Mint HIll, NC

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

I already told y'all who your next GM should be!

http://www.carolinah...nthers-next-gm/

Jim Popp! Colts looked him hard!

Trust me, I was "Sport Talk!"

He will be better than when you guys had Bill Polian! (And if Polian hadn't clashed with Jerry "Jones" Richardson, he would have built you a Super Bowl contender!)

#110 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,940 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

I got a feeling there are too many qualified NFL guys for a CFL guy to get a shot. Sorry man.

#111 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,652 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

I got a feeling there are too many qualified NFL guys for a CFL guy to get a shot. Sorry man.

i think he's overrating polian as well.

#112 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,652 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

this tweet was kind of interesting...

RosinskiBill
Talked to NFL scout last night at UVa-UNC game and asked about Panthers search for GM. Said to look at Giants organization for two possibles

#113 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,940 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

this tweet was kind of interesting...

Could mean Ross, Gettleman or Abrams. Maybe even a name we haven't considered yet.

#114 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,474 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

Could mean Ross, Gettleman or Abrams. Maybe even a name we haven't considered yet.

Or the scout may just be making the same logical assumptions we are...that with Acorsi heading the search, a Giant front office guy would be the most likely.

#115 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,940 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

Or the scout may just be making the same logical assumptions we are...that with Acorsi heading the search, a Giant front office guy would be the most likely.

Thought of that. What makes me think he has names in mind is that he mentioned a specific number.

If he'd just said "someone from the Giants" I'd have said he was guessing.

#116 Match.com

Match.com

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

wonder if the next GM will keep rivera

#117 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,652 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

yep.

seems like the obvious conclusions. a guy most familiar with the giants would pick someone from the giants.

one thing that is interesting to me, though, is that you choose a consultant from an organization probably with the understanding that he will probably be choosing from the pool he's most familiar with.

although...that's not quite what happened with the falcons. i mean there were probably some connections with dimitroff from the time accorsi was with the browns (early 90's) but beyond that i'm not sure there was a whole lot of crossing of paths.

accorsi went for a guy with a solid background in scouting, but not one with typical GM experience, esp. in working with the cap.

the sales job that accorsi delivered blank for dimitroff was kind of funny...

Dimitroff was hired on the recommendation of former NFL executive Ernie Accorsi, who was enamored with his knack for evaluating talent even though he didn't exactly fit the mold of the typical general manager.

"Ernie said to me, 'There's this guy with New England. He actually lives in Boulder, Colorado, and he's the typical Boulder guy. He's got long hair, and he rides a bike, and he eats a lot of weird food,'" Blank recalled, chuckling.

#118 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,652 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

Thought of that. What makes me think he has names in mind is that he mentioned a specific number.

If he'd just said "someone from the Giants" I'd have said he was guessing.

yeah, the thing that has me thinking that it just might be someone from the giants is that accorsi apparently is looking at people from winning programs, like the patriots in the case of dimitroff.

the giants are one of the best/most successful teams out there in spite of how things look this year. it wouldn't surprise me at all to see someone from the giants or the patriots or even the ravens be the choice.

one thing i thought of, though...not only is accorsi going to be influencing and, in effect, selling richardson on a canidate, but he's also going to be selling the candidate on carolina. he is essentially a salesperson/representative of the panthers and may give the organization more clout when trying to recruit not only a GM but a HC. accorsi is very well respected throughout the league so that will help, but it will also help in that it shows we are taking this rebuild seriously.

#119 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,474 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

accorsi went for a guy with a solid background in scouting, but not one with typical GM experience, esp. in working with the cap.

That is very encouraging to me. Hopefully, that is the way he leans.

#120 Bj-Monster23

Bj-Monster23

Slam Newton

• HUDDLER
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

Just making a guess I think it will be Marc Ross or Kevin Abrams. I think the Giants will try their best to keep Gettleman because all the work he does. But we will see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com