- - - - -

A different theory on the Hurney Firing

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tom Cat_*

Guest_Tom Cat_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

The timing of this was too strange- sure MH makes for a convenient scapegoat to appease the fan base, but it is still a bit too un Richardson like for it to ring true. We can only imagine the mental strain and anxiety Hurney was feeling as the losses racked up week after week here - a couple of weeks ago I listened to a pod cast of him on one of the morning radio shows in Charlotte - he sounded to me then like he was close to the breaking point - mentioning about how the losses were ( sic ) "ripping his guts out." He did not sound Hurney like and maybe not completely stable.

As we all are aware JR as much as a business man as he is, he can be and is a pretty nice fellow to his employees and loyal to them - case in point most recently Olsens baby boy. We also know that JR and Hurney are friends - probably quite close as the relationship has built over the years.

I have to wonder if JR didn't fire Hurney in anger, but in friendship - he knew Marty was going over the edge of the cliff and after the Dallas loss he reached out a hand to save him the only way he could - by relieving him of his responsibilities.

Just a thought but I think it might be the truth.

#2 SuperJTheGreat

SuperJTheGreat

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:57 AM

Orrrrr, Marty sucked.

#3 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:59 AM

...or maybe hurney was so stressed out over the losses because he knew his job was on the line.

in the end, it was strictly business.

#4 Leeroy Jenkins PhD

Leeroy Jenkins PhD

HCIC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

I truly believe Hurney lost his job because we are looking to bring in a new coaching staff and Richardson knows, the only way to attract a great Coach is offering him GM responsibilities.

#5 mjligon

mjligon

@mleezy53

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

Hurney probably lost his job because he wasn't doing his in an adequate manner.

#6 philw5289

philw5289

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

man hurney would have never lost his job if it wasn't for that lost coin toss against the dolphins to determine our draft order

#7 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,026 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

Marty lost his job because he did not have an answer for why the Panthers were 1-5and how can they get better. JR holds people accountable. Its Martys job to know why and have a plan to fix the problem. He didnt. Jr will find someone who does.

#8 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,553 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

The timing of this was too strange- sure MH makes for a convenient scapegoat to appease the fan base, but it is still a bit too un Richardson like for it to ring true. We can only imagine the mental strain and anxiety Hurney was feeling as the losses racked up week after week here - a couple of weeks ago I listened to a pod cast of him on one of the morning radio shows in Charlotte - he sounded to me then like he was close to the breaking point - mentioning about how the losses were ( sic ) "ripping his guts out." He did not sound Hurney like and maybe not completely stable.

As we all are aware JR as much as a business man as he is, he can be and is a pretty nice fellow to his employees and loyal to them - case in point most recently Olsens baby boy. We also know that JR and Hurney are friends - probably quite close as the relationship has built over the years.

I have to wonder if JR didn't fire Hurney in anger, but in friendship - he knew Marty was going over the edge of the cliff and after the Dallas loss he reached out a hand to save him the only way he could - by relieving him of his responsibilities.

Just a thought but I think it might be the truth.

Entirely possible. For all we know they may have been talking about this for a while. Heck Marty could have initiated it.

#9 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

Panthers suck so he wanted to fire someone. It was easier to fire the GM who had no major job responsibilities during the season than the head coach that has many.

#10 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • 4,060 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

Marty lost his job because he did not have an answer for why the Panthers were 1-5and how can they get better. JR holds people accountable. Its Martys job to know why and have a plan to fix the problem. He didnt. Jr will find someone who does.

JR fires a GM during the season and all of a sudden he holds people accountable?

#11 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 9,891 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

it's a nice thought, but I know, personally, if I had poured my heart in soul into a product for 11 years , and been through both good and bad during that period, I wouldn't want a 'courtesy' fire

#12 Panths

Panths

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

I think this could be very possible. Hurney looks like a sleep-deprived and stressed out man. It's could be likely he was taking the stress of loss too heavily. I have a feeling he looks like this often Posted Image

#13 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

Or maybe Mr.Richardson looked at the Panthers drafts from 2008.

What is it? 5 starters from those drafts all together??? wow

#14 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,446 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

Could be, but I've actually wondered if he wasn't fired at all.

He didn't have a contract, so technically he couldn't be fired.

What I'm saying is, I wonder if it was all just an act and Hurney knew he would be used as the sacrificial scapegoat. I think his multiple and candid interviews and comments over the last few weeks set the stage for it. Not because he was scared of being fired, but maybe because he and JR discussed it as a move to energize fans and light a spark under the coaching staff to get things going?

Because otherwise, it just seems awfully awkward to fire your close friend when you're notoriously loyal in the middle of an already lost season that he has no effect on either way and when players are wanting the coaches fired instead.

#15 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,621 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

To me he has failed to draft and acquire the necessary talent to field a competitive team.I think JR and Rivera had a meeting and Rivera convinced him he did not have the talent to be successful and JR had to make the move.With our record he had to ax someone and it starts with Hurney. It maybe helped that Hurney is not under contract while Rivera is in the 2nd year of a 4 year deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com