Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My new definition of Christianity...

131 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

PM Dawn? :rolleye:

The Bliss Album.....Vibrations of Love and Anger and the Ponderance of Life and Existance....their best album. (yes I was a P.M. Dawn fan back in the day. :cool:)

Posted · Report post

Ok thanks, i may check it out one day, now im in the LIGHT of what you were referencing

Posted · Report post

I question your ability to open yourself up to God.

He has never not welcomed one who gives themselves to him, and no, going to church and reading the bible wont do.

There arent enough sunday schools in the world to save man, its all in your heart.

You seem bitter, and I have a feeling there is a lot more to the story. But trust, when you do truley hit rock bottom, and seek Jesus, he WILL be there waiting.

Dont forgo that chance.

lol you have no clue.

if a personal god does exist and it is the one of the christian religion then WTF has he never answered me? why has he never made himself evident? i've opened myself up to that god so many times, i've made myself vulnerable. Even in my doubt i still leave the lines of communications open and pray. he has yet to show himself. if he does exist and has choosen to ignore me then yeah i'm pretty bitter.

Posted · Report post

For those that truly believe that the Bible is a myth there certainly is a lot of discussion and pondering going on here about something that 'never happened.' Why don't we see this much discussion concerning Santa Clause or the Tooth Fairy?

because millions of adults don't worship santa claus and the tooth fairy...that would be stupid :rolleyes:

Posted · Report post

:

I question your ability to open yourself up to God.

He has never not welcomed one who gives themselves to him, and no, going to church and reading the bible wont do.

There arent enough sunday schools in the world to save man, its all in your heart.

You seem bitter, and I have a feeling there is a lot more to the story. But trust, when you do truley hit rock bottom, and seek Jesus, he WILL be there waiting.

Dont forgo that chance.

:)

Posted · Report post

pstall you're answers to my questions make it very clear to me you havent read much of the bible (atleast the NT) you are clearly very ignorant of the contridictions in the bible.

and you didn't answer my questions.

first off i never said that both of the men crucified beside Jesus were saved. I asked what happened to them. In Luke one of the men was saved and told by jesus he would be with him in paradise, while the other man mocked jesus. In mark both men crucified with jesus mocked Jesus, neither were saved.

Jesus' attitude in Mark when he was being crucified was like one that was in shock. he was in agony, he didn't say much of anything, the few words he speaks you can tell he feels abandoned by god and doesn't understand why he is being forsaken. also Pilate and everyone around him mocked him (including both men that were crucifed with him)

In luke Jesus is very calm, he seems sure of why this is happening and that everything is going as planned. he is not in shock and seems more concerned with the others around him that are upset, he speaks a lot more then in Mark.

As for Paul, i don't need a bible lesson on paul, i went to a christian school most of my life. Acts is written by Luke and Acts is written after most of pauls letters to the churches. Paul was alive during jesus' time though he probabely never meet him. If you read Acts written by Luke, Acts 9 says immediatley after Pauls converted he spent some time in Damascus with the disciples and when he left the city he headed to Jersualem where he met with the apostles of Jesus (acts 19-30)

In Galatians 1:16-20 written by Paul, paul says after his conversion he didn't confer with any human being, nor did i go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me, but i went away to Arabia and afterwards returned to Damascus. Then after 3 years i went up to jeruslaem to visit Cephas and stayed with him for 15 days but i did not see any of the other apostles except James the lord's brother . in what i am writting to you before God I am not lying.

those are just a few contridictions (seriously just a few from the NT)

i wasn't asking for a bible lesson i was asking if you could explain away the contridictions.

(btw in my post asking these questions i mistakenly said crucifixion instead of conversion when i was talking about Paul) oops

Posted · Report post

Well, are you reading Jesus' reactions to death or Mark and Luke's reactions to Jesus dying? Should Jesus have had only one emotional state during death? If you accept the idea that God had forsaken Jesus, must you not also accept the idea that it was part of the plan?

As for the two men, why wouldn't they both have been saved, or both have been damned, or one saved and the other damned? Why not all three of these? Why not one of them?

As for Paul, well he's Paul. Any objective study of the Bible should give you a clear reason why you should really stop listening to him.

Posted · Report post

Well, are you reading Jesus' reactions to death or Mark and Luke's reactions to Jesus dying? Should Jesus have had only one emotional state during death? If you accept the idea that God had forsaken Jesus, must you not also accept the idea that it was part of the plan?

As for the two men, why wouldn't they both have been saved, or both have been damned, or one saved and the other damned? Why not all three of these? Why not one of them?

As for Paul, well he's Paul. Any objective study of the Bible should give you a clear reason why you should really stop listening to him.

i dont listen to any of them. and since you have dismissed Paul then you probabley dont think the bible is inerrant so then this topic isn't really relevant to you. thats my whole point with Paul anyways and the reason for the contridiction. I would go into the whole reasoning here but that would take all evening.

As for the differences in the cruxificion stories you need to go read Mark's and Lukes and will see how insanely different they are. they do not reconcile and they completely contridict. its not just Luke's point of view or Marks either something happened or it didnt. All the Gospels are full of contridictions not just mark and luke concerning the crucifixion.

Posted · Report post

i dont listen to any of them. and since you have dismissed Paul then you probabley dont think the bible is inerrant so then this topic isn't really relevant to you. thats my whole point with Paul anyways and the reason for the contridiction. I would go into the whole reasoning here but that would take all evening.

As for the differences in the cruxificion stories you need to go read Mark's and Lukes and will see how insanely different they are. they do not reconcile and they completely contridict. its not just Luke's point of view or Marks either something happened or it didnt. All the Gospels are full of contridictions not just mark and luke concerning the crucifixion.

Oh no no no no. I'm not dismissing Paul. I'm saying you have listened, move on now.

Contridictions between the gospels are dependent upon differences in the writers and the ways they came across the story. Twas the only reason I bring it up.

Oh, and I most certainly don't think the bible is inerrant. Far from it. Your thinking in the wrong direction. Or, more importantly, your thinking in a direction.

Posted · Report post

lol you have no clue.

if a personal god does exist and it is the one of the christian religion then WTF has he never answered me? why has he never made himself evident? i've opened myself up to that god so many times, i've made myself vulnerable. Even in my doubt i still leave the lines of communications open and pray. he has yet to show himself. if he does exist and has choosen to ignore me then yeah i'm pretty bitter.

funny- you sound just like i use to (sound familiar).....

I use to say the same things, if God was real; why no miracles today, wheres the sign, how come he doesnt speak to me, blah,blah,blah......

Then I really met him. There is no denying it now.

Your time will come, everyones will. Its up to us to accept it.

I cant answer your questions, like no one could answer mine, but in time you will get those answers, and all of that will make sense.

Posted · Report post

pstall you're answers to my questions make it very clear to me you havent read much of the bible (atleast the NT) you are clearly very ignorant of the contridictions in the bible.

and you didn't answer my questions.

first off i never said that both of the men crucified beside Jesus were saved. I asked what happened to them. In Luke one of the men was saved and told by jesus he would be with him in paradise, while the other man mocked jesus. In mark both men crucified with jesus mocked Jesus, neither were saved.

Jesus' attitude in Mark when he was being crucified was like one that was in shock. he was in agony, he didn't say much of anything, the few words he speaks you can tell he feels abandoned by god and doesn't understand why he is being forsaken. also Pilate and everyone around him mocked him (including both men that were crucifed with him)

In luke Jesus is very calm, he seems sure of why this is happening and that everything is going as planned. he is not in shock and seems more concerned with the others around him that are upset, he speaks a lot more then in Mark.

Ever hear of synecdoche? Or prose? So Mark and Matt mention two and Luke one. Are you sure Luke used the one for a point of emphasis?

Since you are the NT scholar among us, why is there a different acct of the Rich Young Ruler? When one take mentions that Jesus "looked at him and loved him" while the other two choose to emphasis something totally different.

Again, the AUDIENCE is key and the author and their background is key as well.

Think of it like this. You and two of your friends go to a concert. Each of you have a great time and tons of things happen before during and after. When you tell other friends, each will tell it and highlight what stood out to them. Each may share the same feelings but for whatever reason choose to see it differently. Or even this. Each of you are verbatim in your recount of the concert. But one of you seems to tell the story much better. We all have had those times where we defer to a buddy because they have a flair for tell the story and making it more interesting than the others.

As for Paul, i don't need a bible lesson on paul, i went to a christian school most of my life. Acts is written by Luke and Acts is written after most of pauls letters to the churches. Paul was alive during jesus' time though he probabely never meet him. If you read Acts written by Luke, Acts 9 says immediatley after Pauls converted he spent some time in Damascus with the disciples and when he left the city he headed to Jersualem where he met with the apostles of Jesus (acts 19-30)

In Galatians 1:16-20 written by Paul, paul says after his conversion he didn't confer with any human being, nor did i go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me, but i went away to Arabia and afterwards returned to Damascus. Then after 3 years i went up to jeruslaem to visit Cephas and stayed with him for 15 days but i did not see any of the other apostles except James the lord's brother . in what i am writting to you before God I am not lying.

those are just a few contridictions (seriously just a few from the NT)

i wasn't asking for a bible lesson i was asking if you could explain away the contridictions.

(btw in my post asking these questions i mistakenly said crucifixion instead of conversion when i was talking about Paul) oops

Dial down the pretension just a wee bit will ya.

Look at the very bottom sentence you wrote.ONE word makes a huge difference.

Your mind is made up. You are hanging your hat on your percieved contradictions(could be each author highlights what they saw and involved thier own insights? Surely not)

If I recall, in one of your posts you corrected someone on the title of a video. The person simply left off an s on the end.

I use to be the king of info had to be exactly right. But I know what is most important and when a correction needs to be made.

As for Paul you were not clear. You had mention Jesus and the cross and I took it to mean Paul and that time.

Yes he went to Damascus, that is where he first met Jesus. Yes he goes to Jerusalem to get time with the brothers and some direction.

Wasn't trying to give you a sunday school lesson.

But based on the above replies, I don't get the vibe you are really genuinely curious. You have your mind made up and it just isn't going to be worth the time and energy.

For a little bonus though since you are locked in on contradictions. There is a great one in the Epistles that could almost be a concrete one but the flexibility in the outcome is puzzling.

Posted · Report post

what video?

i understand i wasn't clear sorry about Paul and i'm sorry about that.

as far as contridictions there is no way to reconcile them. all that being said i didn't need the bible to be perfect to had remained a Christian. There are many christians who know the bible is flawed (this is the norm outside of the American South) and are still Christians. Heck most pastors who graduated divinity school know this.

I'm not so vein in my intellect to think that i could totally understand God. but since he (if he exist) has choosen not to commuincate with my heart, spirit or anyother way i see no reason to believe a personal God exist.