#46 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,779 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

What most of the uber Cam supporters here are refusing to understand is that there are VERY FEW posters on here (and most are trolls) that are throwing Cam under the bus. We just can see that there are many things that Cam needs to work on and improve....maturity, demeanor, etc.

As oppposed to some of you who think that everything he does is perfect and that his poo does not stink.

I personally think Cam is an incredible talent....I think that he IS the QB that will lead us to success....I do think the sky is the limit with him....and I do think that our coaches can't get their heads out of their asses right now.

But, I am also able to admit that Cam has a lot of things that he needs to work on and improve.....his leadership, demeanor, maturity, etc right now leaves a bit to be desired. But, like many have said, he is only 23 yo. I hope tha the is not one of those many athletes who never get this.....and I think he will get it.

#47 EasternJ

EasternJ

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:35 AM

What most of the uber Cam supporters here are refusing to understand is that there are VERY FEW posters on here (and most are trolls) that are throwing Cam under the bus. We just can see that there are many things that Cam needs to work on and improve....maturity, demeanor, etc.

As oppposed to some of you who think that everything he does is perfect and that his poo does not stink.

Agreed......

And when does everyone think he will mature? Two years, three? It's ridiculous to think he will suddenly grow up and become a mature adult and leader of this team. To my earlier point, why aren't we having to wait for Luck and RGII to mature? Sorry folks, this isn't something that time is going to fix--- or some type of support system. Time to move on.

#48 EasternJ

EasternJ

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

And by the way--- I think Cam could do fine on a solid team that was winning. The problem is that we are in for a rough ride with changes coming and likely more losses---- not the environment for success for a guy who needs to grow up and doesn't seem to be able to handle adversity.

#49 88 Bronco

88 Bronco

• HUDDLER
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

Kerry Collins grew up

#50 EasternJ

EasternJ

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:44 AM

Kerry Collins grew up

Yep, after about 8 years. You may have forgotten that he basically quit on the panthers and asked to be traded-- "his heart wasn't in it".

How long do you think we should give Cam?

Again, I think if the team is winning-- he is fine. So, it could be a real bumpy road ahead if things continue...... I hope I'm wrong about Cam and the bumpy road though.

#51 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,587 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

Cam did talk about his failures. But, as much as I hate to admit it....when he loses...he is moping....and I am sorry, it almost seems like he feels like he is a victim. He also mentioned the coordinator in this presser......a big NONO. Cam is not a rookie anymore. He needs to man up. He comes across as self centered with his ridiculous Superman celebrations when he scores. His losing sulking is getting old. Someone needs to grow a pair and be straight with Cam. If I need to be the one...someone hook me up.

QFT.

#52 88 Bronco

88 Bronco

• HUDDLER
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

Yep, after about 8 years. You may have forgotten that he basically quit on the panthers and asked to be traded-- "his heart wasn't in it".

How long do you think we should give Cam?

Again, I think if the team is winning-- he is fine. So, it could be a real bumpy road ahead if things continue...... I hope I'm wrong about Cam and the bumpy road though.

OMG!! Collins quit on the panthers? When did that happen!?

#53 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,587 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

Perhaps, but before you can start calling people to the carpet, you got to have your own poo tight. No one is making Cam throw picks or wounded ducks in the red zone. No one caused Cam to make a crucial fumble against the Falcons, with almost certain victory but a yard away. Leaders have to finish the deal on the field. In my opinion, Cam's game isn't great enough to be calling people to the carpet without him voluntarily going to the carpet himself and criticizing his own failings first and foremost.

We might not want to hear it, but true leaders don't sulk out in the open. They project a certain demeanor on the outside (even if they are not exactly sure what's going on on the inside), because they realize that people are looking to them---right or wrong---to get them to the promised land.

another one who gets it.

#54 EasternJ

EasternJ

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:53 AM

OMG!! Collins quit on the panthers? When did that happen!?

Assuming you weren't being sarcastic..........

From Wikiland........

""After an 0-4 start, Collins walked into head coach Dom Capers' office and, as Collins later put it, "told Coach Capers my heart's not in it, I'm not happy, and I don't feel like I can play right now."[1] He asked to be traded, but was instead placed on waivers by Carolina during the 1998 season and subsequently signed by the New Orleans Saints.
Collins would later say that he did not intend to quit the team, only to sit out for a few weeks. However, Capers interpreted his request as quitting on the team and he was released. He later admitted that much of his erratic behavior was due to his struggles with alcoholism. After being arrested for drunk driving later that year, he was ordered by the NFL to seek treatment for alcohol abuse.[2]""

I suppose he just needed to mature some and didn't really quit or it was just the alcohol's fault. When will we stop making excuses for people.

#55 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,611 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:53 AM

Agreed......

And when does everyone think he will mature? Two years, three? It's ridiculous to think he will suddenly grow up and become a mature adult and leader of this team. To my earlier point, why aren't we having to wait for Luck and RGII to mature? Sorry folks, this isn't something that time is going to fix--- or some type of support system. Time to move on.

This is a perfect example of why he should focus on football and not interviews.People and media will make this a maturity issue or create a dysfunction that does or does not exist.The truth is he needs to change his demeanor for himself,his team,and the fans.Like it not he is a major role model and owes it to the fans to act like one.Take comments like that to JR or Rivera but not on national TV.

Generally speaking calling you coach or boss out on national TV is not a good career move .

#56 Navy_football

Navy_football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

Agree with all, though I'd add red zone decision making and accuracy on short to intermediate passes as things he needs to improve on as well.

He has a lot of growing up to do as a football player and a person.

Though, my thought is he sees a demeanor in the locker room that he's not used to. He sees guys accepting losses like it's not a big deal - we'll get em next week. Things needed to be shaken up. The rest of the team probably already accepts they won't make the playoffs and this season is a lost cause. His competitive spirit and drive to win is what allowed him to go undefeated in the SEC, when that team really didn't have anyone on it but him - I guess we can say Fairley, he was a beast in college.

If I wasn't a Panthers fan, I would think the same thing everyone else is. If I didn't watch the games and see the ridiculous play calling, I wouldn't understand what he meant when he mentioned it. But I am a fan, since the beginning. And something needed to change. My team finally has a QB with real talent (been waiting a long time) and they're killing him by not putting him in the best position to be successful.

If it's frustrating to me, I can only imagine how Cam Newton is feeling.

#57 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,340 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

The team is better than it was last year. Much better talent on both sides of the ball - by draft, FA and players returning from injury. The way said team is being used is worse. Much worse. Historically worse. Cam is leading the team in rushing yards, and almost leading in rushing attempts. If last Sunday was any indication, he'll lead in the that category as well by the end of the Bears game.

I do think he'll get better with press conferences though, but I don't ever see him as a smile and say the right things guy after losses. Just don't think it's in his character.

And to be honest, this team needed someone to shake things up. So what if he comes into the presser and does the Peyton Manning thing. "We missed some opportunities out there today. We'll continue to work hard on correcting our mistakes. We'll go get ready for the Bears next week...."

JR goes on thinking everything is fine, and his QB is just going through a funk. Rivera keeps silent and doesn't do anything. Chud keeps calling read option in the red zone. DWill gets <5 carries against the bears, even though he usually plays well against them. Panthers lose by a TD or less because they couldn't close the deal (really because key drives were stalled due to said read option calls at the most inopportune times possible). And everyone continues to think Cam is going through a sophomore slump even though his numbers are very similar to what they were last year at this point.

Agreed, overall, team personnel has improved with one of the notable exceptions being TE. Obviously the offensive play calling is much worse than last year.

Marty's walking papers have been coming for awhile, JR is not a young man, and despite what some on here think, he is not a miser and he cares deeply about winning the Super Bowl before his time on earth is done.

Cam's news conference after the Cowboys game did little if anything to help an already bad situation. Nobody likes a loose cannon around, you can never tell when it will go off. Cam's bosses are no different in that respect. I absolutely get why he did it, but he only ended up making himself look unprofessional in the process. That isn't helpful for an athlete that hopes to be an icon for the NFL.

There is an excellent chance the entire coaching staff will be gone at the end of the season. I would not be surprised if Chud is gone even sooner if he doesn't change his ways.

Cam is here for the duration and will likely have a vastly different supporting cast next season. There is no need for him to damage his public image over a temporary state of affairs.

#58 88 Bronco

88 Bronco

• HUDDLER
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

Assuming you weren't being sarcastic..........

From Wikiland........

""After an 0-4 start, Collins walked into head coach Dom Capers' office and, as Collins later put it, "told Coach Capers my heart's not in it, I'm not happy, and I don't feel like I can play right now."[1] He asked to be traded, but was instead placed on waivers by Carolina during the 1998 season and subsequently signed by the New Orleans Saints.
Collins would later say that he did not intend to quit the team, only to sit out for a few weeks. However, Capers interpreted his request as quitting on the team and he was released. He later admitted that much of his erratic behavior was due to his struggles with alcoholism. After being arrested for drunk driving later that year, he was ordered by the NFL to seek treatment for alcohol abuse.[2]""

I suppose he just needed to mature some and didn't really quit or it was just the alcohol's fault. When will we stop making excuses for people.

That was sarcasm, but in the high level of maturity you have reached in life, you don't have time to grasp such frivolity. At what point were you able to say you were mature? Did you have it all figured out by the time you were 23. I was in the military and had a family at that point in my life and I was far from mature, like most 23 year old males.

#59 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,438 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

It's easy to judge someone when you aren't in their shoes day to day to experience it. Cam has things he can improve on like any other individual out here, but he is only one piece of a larger flawed picture.

#60 Navy_football

Navy_football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

There is an excellent chance the entire coaching staff will be gone at the end of the season. I would not be surprised if Chud is gone even sooner if he doesn't change his ways.

Cam is here for the duration and will likely have a vastly different supporting cast next season. There is no need for him to damage his public image over a temporary state of affairs.

Why delay the inevitable then? Cam isn't ready to throw in the towel for the season. He hasn't given up and accepted that we'll be a bottom dweller in the NFL this year. He wants to win - now. He has accepted his mistakes, over and over and over again. But when will the playcalling be called into question? Who's gonna change what every player on the offense knows is killing them - Kalil and DWill have made subtle suggestions.

I tell you what... if the playcalling changes this week, and this team goes on a 4-5 game winning streak, everyone will be loving Cam again and saying he did what he had to do to get his team back on track. Winning cures all that ails you. And the current scheme won't allow that to happen and the TEAM knows it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com