Panthers expected to hire outside consultant to run GM search

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 UNCrules2187

UNCrules2187

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

The Panthers are expected to hire an outside consultant to run the search, two league sources said Tuesday.

A number of former NFL coaches and executives have done consulting work with teams previously.

The list includes former New York Giants defensive coordinator Ernie Accorsi, a consultant for the league; former Green Bay general manager Ron Wolf; Andrew Brandt, ESPN’s NFL business analyst who formerly worked in the Packers’ front office; and ex-Kansas City president/general manager Carl Peterson, who advised Miami owner Steve Ross last winter when the Dolphins hired Joe Philbin as head coach.

Any consultant hired by owner Jerry Richardson would come to Charlotte to examine the football operations, attend practices and watch video of a team whose 1-5 start led to Hurney’s dismissal.

Richardson has not spoken publicly about what characteristics or experience level he’s looking for in his next general manager. One industry insider said Tuesday that given Hurney’s business-side background – he managed the Panthers’ salary cap before becoming GM – the Panthers could look for someone with a strong scouting background.

http://www.charlotte...l#storylink=cpy

#2 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,495 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

As they should. It's the only approach that makes sense.

#3 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,514 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

Andrew Brant is cool on Twitter, that's all i can add really...

#4 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,655 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

translation Jr doesnt have a clue on who he wants as GM

#5 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,625 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

i was hoping that they would do somehting like this because i sure don't trust anyone in the organization right now to make the decision, including richardson.

i just have this feeling that the the consultant might end up taking over the GM job. i hope that doesn't happen.

i have one worry, tho...who's going to decide on the consultant?

#6 raleigh-panther

raleigh-panther

• HUDDLER
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

Translation, he's a smart business man that does not want to make a stuipd mistake for the 4th time. No more family members. No more 'good buddies' and 'trusted friends'. Good for him.

I heard some of the more itelligent talking heads say when this happened that that is why Hurney was let go now, in order to have time to evaluate what is wrong with this team before the January frenzy starts with all that goes into the new season.

#7 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,655 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

JR could prolly save alot of money if he just aksed The Huddle.

#8 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

As someone who was worried that Richardson would pick someone he knew/liked and wouldn't rock the boat, I love that we seem to be going about this the right way. Love it. This is exactly the way to try and get the right person in here.

Bravo JR.

#9 Ruff

Ruff

Formerly Know As RufftownRepresent

• HUDDLER
  • 6,807 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

This means that this is going to be a very, very drawn out process. And honestly, it should be. There is a lot riding on this next hire.

#10 TruCatzFan

TruCatzFan

Phil 4:13

• HUDDLER
  • 6,470 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

At least there's news on it now... I mean, to me it appears as though JR is serious about getting things turned around... But at the same time, it's almost an admission that he has no fuggin idea what's wrong with his own club...

This isn't good imo

#11 BIGH2001

BIGH2001

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

Hiring someone who knows more than you, especially for a decision that is of this kind of importance is not a bad thing. Not hiring a consultant is something Jerry jones might do.

translation Jr doesnt have a clue on who he wants as GM

#12 CBDellinger

CBDellinger

CAMdamonium!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

Hopefully JR has realized that while he might be a great business man, he is not a good football man. Nothing wrong with that. Better to know your weakness than to ignore it.

#13 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

I think we should look at Gil Brandt not Andrew Brandt but the godfather Gil Brandt

#14 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,653 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

I agree, next GM should have a football background....Hunrey wasn't a football guy.

#15 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • 9,133 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

Wow. I don't remember anything ever happening like this within the Panthers organization, It looks like JR is finally admitting that he doesn't know how to build a winning team, and letting guys with better resumes take over that role.

I was really worried that JR might promote some random "yes man" within the organization and continue the same philosophy. It really looks like he's completely stepped back from football operations and is trying to find the best professional to take over in that role. This is bigger news than Hurney getting fired. How you go about finding a replacement is more important than just firing the last guy. Wow, I am really stoked about this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com