• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 GotSwag?

GotSwag?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:31 AM

This O has a chance to be special. Its got a ton of talent on it. Go back to square one and do what we did last season and take the pressure off of Cam.

#17 the_philosopher

the_philosopher

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

I do hope we get an answer to this question. We deserve it.

#18 thennek

thennek

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:49 AM

This is a very good question, and unfortunately we will probably never know the reason. We can only guess, and more than likely be wrong. I wonder if we no longer have the players to run the same offense as 2011?

The only major personnel changes from 2011 to 2012: Shockey & Wharton. It's hard to believe those 2 players would make this much differerence. But, they were running a lot of 2 TE sets in 2011....this year that does not seem to be happening. No other TE has stepped up to take Shockey's production.

Also, Gross & Smith are not getting any younger, and Williams has not been effective at all this year. Smith has definitely lost a step, and should be a slot or #2 WR. However, he is still clearly the best WR on the team which is a concern. Also, the O-line is worse this year vs. 2011 (even before Kalil went on IR) and perhaps that has something to do with an experience LG Wharton vs. a rookie. When they have run the ball, it has not been effective. Other than not being able to run, Cam has very little time in the pocket this year (and he did have time last year).

My best theory is the new offense is to cover the weaknesses and lack of personnel needed to run the offense they want to run.

#19 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:03 AM

Maybe I've missed this but has anyone directly questioned the staff in interviews about this? They're clearly avoiding wanting to change it. I just can't believe its based on pure stubbornness and laziness on Chud's part. There has to be something more.

Its been deflected by Rivera stating he did not have the right personal to run his offense.My guess is after all the fallout Chud will change the game plan or be gone. I think losing Shockey was much bigger than anyone thought,

#20 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,344 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:18 AM

Its been deflected by Rivera stating he did not have the right personal to run his offense.My guess is after all the fallout Chud will change the game plan or be gone. I think losing Shockey was much bigger than anyone thought,

I suspect there were no follow up questions from the media like:

What personnel specifically are you missing that you can't run last year's offense?

Why are those personnel no longer here?

Why were these positions not filled with similarly talented individuals in the draft or free agency?

Whose decision was it to go forward without the personnel needed to run last years successful offense?

#21 Panther17

Panther17

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

Personally I wish they would just can the option. Only let Cam run when it is a designed run for him or do playaction roll outs where if no one is open or about to be open, Cam runs.

#22 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

Why has no reporter in the Charlotte media pressed Rivera for an answers to these basic questions?

1) Why was the one aspect of the Panthers (offense) that was successful last year so radically changed? (If it ain't broke, don't fix it.)

2) Why have you, Coach Rivera, yet to correct this painfully obvious mistake?

The sports media outlets in Charlotte seem to be among the most passive in the nation. Their lack of inquisitiveness when it comes to this major issue explains why we still don't know six games into the season why this change was made or why it has yet to be corrected.

And I believe the national media looks at what the local media has questioned to some degree. If the local media asked Cam or Rivera about the offense, they would likely get an interesting soundbite that the national media could play back. So I definitely agree the local media aren't doing their job, and entertaining the crusade against Cam across the nation.

#23 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,452 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

The only logical explanation to me is that they don't think Cam can be a drop back passer. I don't believe that to be true myself, but I don't get to see what goes on in practice to evaluate that. Otherwise, they are taking what was successful last year from a small sample and assuming it can be used abundantly.

Nothing else could possibly make any sense, because these results can't support that this is an NFL system.

#24 SauceBoss

SauceBoss

IT IS WHAT IT IS

• HUDDLER
  • 2,280 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

shockey

#25 restNChrist

restNChrist

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:03 PM

shockey

Okay then, isn't this guy on waivers? Why are we not signing him as i type? If Shockey was so pivotal then why are we letting him sit on his couch instead of signing him to, what i believe would not be a big contract? This coaching staff has lost their minds with the option and unfortunately it is the main reason as to why we are 1-5 instead of 4-2!

If Rivera wants to save his job he should sign Jeremy and get rid of the read option and run his horses and get back to the offense we had last year! Panthers staff, no need to pay me for fixing your offense... just get some wins!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: read option

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com