Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

panther4life

Update on cap situation new GM will inherit.

66 posts in this topic

We'll be fine with JStew and Tolbert carrying the load.

I haven't looked at Tolbert's contract, but assuming it's workable and assuming we run more of a pro-style offense next year, I'd cut Tolbert, bring in a true fullback or just use a guy like Brockel from time to time, and promote either one of the two backs we have on the practice squad. Both of them looked very workable as change of pace/relief backs.

Used to cringe every time I would come on here and read about another record setting Hurney contract followed by comments like:

"Why should you care how much money Hurney paid "X" player? It's JR's money"

or

"I don't care how much money it takes, franchise tag "X" player, it's not our money! We can't let him go without compensation!"

This kind of cap hell is why we should all care.

Hopefully, we get lucky and a few of these guys decide to retire.

Knowing our luck, it is a long shot, but one can still hope.

Maybe we'll hire a hard ass coach like Tom Coughlin to inspire some retirements.

Any player that is supposedto get a huge roster bonuses next seaon will be gone. So who are they? Also new gm will restructure some of these deals so it will bring the cap figure down. Next seaon will be painful year we will have to keep some due to a high cap hit.

We have a few that are due roster bonuses, including Thomas Davis, Godfrey and Gross. Gross can restructure, Davis may be worth it, Godfrey not so much.

What amazed me as I checked through salaries...did you know we are paying Dwan Edwards $4 million a year? No wonder he jumped at a chance to sign here. DT's are typically paid well, but that's a lot for a guy that's middle of the road.

Charles Johnson is a Mike Rucker who's being paid like a Julius Peppers.

Chris Gamble has that lethal combo of high cap and poor health of late. Might not look good for him.

And I'm sad to say it because I still like him, but I could see a new GM drafting a young left tackle and moving on from Jordan Gross.

2 people like this

Charles Johnson is a Mike Rucker who's being paid like a Julius Peppers.

Chris Gamble has that lethal combo of high cap and poor health of late. Might not look good for him.

And I'm sad to say it because I still like him, but I could see a new GM drafting a young left tackle and moving on from Jordan Gross.

[quote

[x]

2/19/2009: Signed a six-year, $60 million contract. The deal included a $5 million signing bonus. 2012: $8.5 million, 2013: $8.7 million, 2014: $6.7 million (+ $1 million roster bonus), 2015: Free Agent ]

Get use to saying this remark. 'Fkin Hurney'. I know i did about 4 years ago.....

Oh my god, this again?

Did we not learn this past offseason to leave the cap to the front office? We're going to be fine. It is extremely easy to skirt the cap.

2 people like this

Damn, Hurndawg. That was some seriously irresponsible spending.

So basically Hurney left the team financially fuged and whatever GM they hire is going to have to gut the team to have any flexibility at all to rebuild the roster.

That's just what I wanted to hear.

I almost wonder if the gut the roster part is such a bad thing. This team seems to have an ideological clash in the locker room between the "new, modern, 2012" mentality and some of the "good ole boys" left over from the previous regime.

1 person likes this

Panthers will have to clean house, suck again next year and maybe 2-3 seasons down the road we can talk playoffs

And to think some of you could care less if the next GM has a firm finance background.